Thread: Cooling Circuit (water)

Thanks

Cooling Circuit (water)

I will be slapping w/c on my uni rig when the time comes.

I want to cool cpu, chipset and gpu.

What's the best circuit layout with regards to order, rad location etc.

Don't worry about waterblock types - you don't even know what CPU will be in the rig so you can't really recommend one.

Cheers,
    Kez.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    I reccomend an external rad if you have the space, bigger is better, especially if you can go passive. Order makes very little difference, parrallel components is better if using a large rad, but won't make a huge difference. Assuming you have a good flow rate, the actual temperature of the water doesn't change nearly as much as you'd think as it goes through the system.

Thanks
    Res > Pump > Blocks > Rad > back to Res
    Desktop: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton, 1024Mb PC-3200 TwinMOS w/Winbond, MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR, Radeon 9800SE AIW, 40 GB 7,200 Rpm Hitachi Deskstar, 120GB 7,200 Rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor Diamond 9, 160GB 7200 Rpm 8mb Cache Seagate 7200.7 SATA, Plextor 708A 8x DVD-RW, 550W PFC Q-tec PSU, Casetek 1019SM Silver Case, Camdridge Soundworks DTT2200 Speakers

Laptop: Clevo D470W - 17" Widescreen TFT, Intel Pentium4 3.06Ghz 533FSB, 1024Mb PC-2700 Hynix, Radeon Mobility 9000 64Mb, Fujitsu 80Gb 4,200rpm, 250Gb 7,2000rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor OneTouch, Toshiba SD-R6372 DVD-RW +/- x4, Built-in Four speakers, webcam and microphone

Thanks
    Thanks guys, so how good are parallel setups? I want a pump with a decent flowrate (or I'll go mad and mod my Hozelock Super Cascade 1000 LOL!)

I don't think I can get anything bigger than a 120mm Rad in the thing - though I could do a 120mm at the back (I have a 120mm fan modded there now, so slap a rad on that and I'm sorted. I could then slap an 80mm fan and rad at the front.

What do you think? Worth it? Or should I just use the single rad at the back?
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();

Thanks
    I'd definately look towards an external, possibly passive, rad as TeePee said. With a little though it can be quite neat and much quieter.

Makes very little difference what order you put them in. I was told this from my friend who is a chemical engineer. Connecting in series is going to be a lot better in this kind of setup unless you can gaurantee the pressure drop on each section (which you wont be able to do ).

Flow rate in most water cooling setups is not actually as critical as you may think. Water is capable of transfering a lot of heat. An efficient radiator is much more important. If you are cooling lots of things ie CPU GPU Northbridge HDD then make sure you have a pump capable of providing enough head or pressure to overcome the pressure drop across the system.
    Last edited by turkster; 25-04-2004 at 08:24 PM.

Thanks
    OK, so what about a 2 fan rad mounted outside the case, but with only 1 fan on it (due to how it would be mounted... don't ask.)

That'd give me plenty of surface area but partial passive cooling. What do you guys think?

Also, what's a good pump for pressure, and where's a good outlet?

Cheers all!
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();

Thread Information