Thread: is my memory borked ?

Registered+
    Thanks

is my memory borked ?

no_more_irp_stack_locations very odd BSOD

ok. i in windows happily and at the most random times i get this error..

NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS

its very odd. the setup:

Asus Pc4 800 E-Deluxe
    2.8C @ 3.5 Ghz
    250fsb 1:1
    1gig of Giel PC4000 512x2
    Hercules Radeon 9800 XT
    M-Audio Revolution 7.1
    Sony dvdrom
    120 gig Sata C:
    80 gig IDE D:
    Isdn TA
    Windows XP pro SP1

anyone seen this before or have any knowledge on it.

this is the error code: 0x00000035

and apparently this is the cause: (but what does that mean and whats the solution ?)

A higher-level driver has attempted to call a lower-level driver through the IoCallDriver interface, but there are no more stack locations in the packet. This will prevent the lower-level driver from accessing its parameters.

This is a disastrous situation, since the higher level driver is proceeding as if it has filled in the parameters for the lower level driver (as required). But since there is no stack location for the latter driver, the former has actually written off the end of the packet. This means that some other memory has been corrupted as well.

thanks very very much for any help

regards
    joe

Thanks
    Computers contain a "stack" for calling subroutines and APIs - kind of like a stack of books, the first one into the stack is the last one out. It contains the information on where to return to when it's finished processing the call and the parameters used to make the call (so if the call is draw a triangle - the parameters will be where and what colour, for example). Whats happened is some driver has called an API and failed to provide the parameters, or they've got lost.

Pratical upshot of this is you've got a duff driver, duff RAM or you're pushing your O/C ing to hard. It's a generic error, so you'll have to spend some time working it out.

Put your system on default speeds and remove all your expansion cards except gfx. Take yourself down to one DIMM too, and any non essential periphirals (keyboard + mouse only). Run it for a while - if it no longer crashes slowly add more components until it does. When it crashes - you've got your culprit - or if it doesn't, you were clocking it too hard.

I'd suspect the ISDN TA - The first one I had was terrible and caused many crashes. The Asus one seemed to be OK though.
    Now go away before I taunt you a second time.

dgr
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rythmic
    Computers contain a "stack" for calling subroutines and APIs - kind of like a stack of books, the first one into the stack is the last one out. It contains the information on where to return to when it's finished processing the call and the parameters used to make the call (so if the call is draw a triangle - the parameters will be where and what colour, for example). Whats happened is some driver has called an API and failed to provide the parameters, or they've got lost.

Pratical upshot of this is you've got a duff driver, duff RAM or you're pushing your O/C ing to hard. It's a generic error, so you'll have to spend some time working it out.

Put your system on default speeds and remove all your expansion cards except gfx. Take yourself down to one DIMM too, and any non essential periphirals (keyboard + mouse only). Run it for a while - if it no longer crashes slowly add more components until it does. When it crashes - you've got your culprit - or if it doesn't, you were clocking it too hard.

I'd suspect the ISDN TA - The first one I had was terrible and caused many crashes. The Asus one seemed to be OK though.
    have you tried running memtest? to me its always been 100% accurate
    dothan 745 @ 2.4ghz | 2gb Corsair XMS (2-3-3-6) | dual raptors (raid0) | ATI 9700pro | CM201 | dual lg 1810

Thanks
    Probably a good start as well I always tend to be go for the "hands on" approach myself
    Now go away before I taunt you a second time.

Thread Information