Thread: mATX case, PSU and Windows 7 advice

Thanks

mATX case, PSU and Windows 7 advice

Hey guys, this is a bit of a three pronged thread so here goes.

I'm currently using a Asus cheapo case for my mum's computer and I really want to replace it. It's flimsy and plasticky and the disk tray makes a huge sound when it opens. Plus the side panel has started rattling lately and it's just becoming a pain in the arse. I'm looking for a mATX case to fit a basic AthlonX2 computer from 3 years ago so don't need LED bells and whistles or SLi support or any of that. However it does have to be well built, good looking and most importantly quiet.

I was looking at the Antec Mini P180 as an option as I know that got a lot of recommendations before but I was wondering if there has been anything newer that may be even better. Noise is the main issue with build quality coming a close second. Link:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Shop/Computer-...MicroATX-Cases

Secondly I might as well replace the PSU in it while I'm at it because right now it's a cheapo one too so I'd like something with a bit more peace of mind. The rig is: AMD64 AthlonX2 4600+, 2 Gb DDR2 RAM, 250Gb Samsung HD, a Soundblaster Audigy4 soundcard and a DVDRW. So it's not exactly power hungry but I will be fitting my 4850 to it because I am here this summer and I'd like to play some games on it . So do you guys have any recommendations for a PSU that will reliably power the above and a 4850? I spotted this on clearance at Scan, is this a good choice:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/425W-...uard-SafeGuard

Lastly, the PC is running WinXP. If I upgraded it to Win7 with an OEM disk, will it still work if I upgraded the CPU and Mobo say next year. So basically my question is, if I wanted to give it a CPU and Mobo upgrade next year which version of Windows 7 should I buy that would allow me to do that?

Hope I didn't lose you guys in that! Thanks for taking time to read this

Thanks

Re: mATX case, PSU and Windows 7 advice

I usually buy the Silverpower sp-ss500w PSU when it's on offer at scan at £41 normally £48
    It has pcie 6pin and 6+2pin so you can use pretty much any single GPU.
    The SS in the product name identifies it as made by Seasonic who in my opinion make the best PSUs
    It's 80% bronze rated efficiency.

As for the case the mATX P180 mini is physically a mid sized case so your not looking at the mATX cases for space saving. You should therefore also consider the Antec Solo or Coolermaster Sileo. Unless they have changed the Antec Solo it was lacking length to take a GTX260 so you will need to check some reviews for the latest version of the cases if you plan to add longer cards in the future.

It used to be that you phoned up for a new activation code to install XP after a major rebuild. Tell them some story about how your power supply had taken out your motherboard and whatever else and they give you a new code. I don't know what it's like with Win7 OEM in this respect.

Thanks

Re: mATX case, PSU and Windows 7 advice

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. The Antec Solo is a bit expensive I feel but the Sileo looks like a great case, I wasn't even aware of it before. It ticks all the boxes but I feel it is a bit too big for what I am looking for. I might just stick with a Antec Mini P180 in the end since I know it's well built and looking at the dimensions it isn't much bigger than the current one. Just 5 or so cm taller that's all.

As for the power supply I'm gonna go for the modular Enermax because for £50 that's got all the features for me to put it in there and forget about it for a good few years.

I found out my mum can order Win Vista cheaper from work so I'll just use that. I'm gonna order all this sometime this week and have a brand new looking PC! (with added quietness hopefully)

Thread Information