Thread: Temporal AA for radeons, what do you think of it?

Ravens Nest

Temporal AA for radeons, what do you think of it?

Has any one tried the following out with there Radeon 9500-9800's yet?

If you haven't heard of it basically it re-program's the Anti-aliasing on all radeons 9500-9800 to a different pattern, it does one pattern on one frame and then another on the other frame, there also is a mode that has three patterns one for every three frames.

Basically it makes 2xAA look like 4xAA but with the performance hit of 2xAA (And who here doesn't want a free upgrade)
    Or 4xAA look like 6xAA but with the performance hit of 4xAA

I've had some interesting result's with it myself running at 2xAA and it does look like 4xAA and it seems quite a bit faster, but i need others opinion's on it (I dont want to think it's just the placebo effect)

Here's where i read how to turn it on in the catalyst 4.4 drivers i use
    http://www.elitebastards.com/page.ph...d=1&comments=1

Please be aware though it should increase performance it is not supported by ATI in any way..

Thanks
    Looks like a very nice feature. They didfnt say much on the 3 pattern one, but wouldnt that make the AA mode eqivalant to 3x higher? 6x becoming 18x etc..

Cant test it for a few days though

Ravens Nest
    I think you might be right as the rumour is the R420 (x800) videocard is so fast that it can run at 18xAA when temporal AA is used and supposedly the 3 pattern version of it run's too slow to be useable on 9500-9800's and so we have to use the 2 pattern one.

But still as nice free upgrade if it works well for you

Any one else tested it yet, surprised at the lack of response to my post..
    perhaps i should have named the thread better, to "FREE! performance upgrade for Radeon users!!!!"

OMG!! PWND!!
    Thanks
    i tried it, but i prefer 4xAA as i dont get uber high frame rates, and i think 4xAA looks brtter

Ravens Nest
    Is that 4xtemporal AA or 4xAA
    i tried 4xtemporal AA and it does look like 6x

Thanks
    on older games any 9500-9800 can do 3 pattern TAA its just it causes flickering. At a quess you need 3-4x 35fps to get rid of flickering with x*3TAA. for x*2TAA about 70fps would be best.
    with x*3TAA the AA mode (x) would have to be 2 or 4x to keep fps high enough.
    Would be great for old RTS games or fps's like quake3 - if anyone still plays it...?

Ravens Nest
    Quote Originally Posted by |SilentDeath|
    on older games any 9500-9800 can do 3 pattern TAA its just it causes flickering. At a quess you need 3-4x 35fps to get rid of flickering with x*3TAA. for x*2TAA about 70fps would be best.
    with x*3TAA the AA mode (x) would have to be 2 or 4x to keep fps high enough.
    Would be great for old RTS games or fps's like quake3 - if anyone still plays it...?
    I've been playing Manhunt with 16xAF and 6xT3 thats runs very fast no flickering at 85hz monitor level and thats a new game
    I cant wait to try some other games

Thread Information