Thread: Slimline optical drive in a shuttle?

Thanks

Slimline optical drive in a shuttle?

Slimline optical drive in a shuttle?

OK i seem to have run out of internal SATA ports in my shuttle, i did purchase a PCI card with SATA ports, but it adds an extra 10 seconds to boot time and i swear my SSD does not run as quick when plugged into it!

So I currently have these two internal ports and at present have my SSD and my normal hardrive.
    I was thinking about getting a slimine external optical drive and then placing it inside the case and somehow powering it using the internal USB header? If such a cable exists and it has enough juice?
    I don’t currently own any optical drives so i need to buy one anyhow, i would appreciate any thoughts on this
    Corsair 650D Case, TX 650w v2 PSU, Asrock Z68 Extream4 Gen3 Z68, i7 2600k @ 4.4, Corsair H60 Cooler, Corsair XMS3 8 DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600Mhz Duel Channel Kit, Crucial M4 120gb SSD, MSI Gefore GTX 570 1280MB GDDR5, 2 x 1TB Weston Digital, Windows 7 Pro

Thanks
    • Grey M@a's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K (With H100i cooling)
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, 1TB Cavier Black WD HD, 4TB Cavier Black WD HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390X Gaming Edition 8GB
      • PSU:
      • SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 850W Fully Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG 24GM77-B 144Hz
      • Internet:
      • 100MB Virgin Media Cable

Re: Slimline optical drive in a shuttle?

You have two options here. You could try to mod an external slimline DVD burner to fit the case or you could just sit the slimline burner on top of the shuttle and just use the USB at the back. I did the latter as I started stripping down the shuttle to help with air flow and since removing the internal drive my temps dropped around 5c.

Originally I bought this for the Samsung NC10 netbook:

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=35253

With it being USB though I just connect it when I need it, which surprisingly I use very little these days on the shuttle as all my app installers are on the NAS and I think the only time I have used it is to burn the odd cd for the car or DVD to backup data etc.

The only issue for external slimline DVD drives is that they need to draw power from 2 USB ports at a time so if you were to mod it you would need two internal headers no doubt and the power draw from the mobo might not be suitable.

I would say your best bet is to keep a slimline external, plug it in when you need it, which probably won't be as much as you think. Only downside is the DVD burn speed is 8x so I am looking about for a 16x external slimline (I do have the samsung external DVD writer that can do 20x but its an absolute brick. http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Samsu...-with-Software )

If you wish, when I get in from work tonight I will take a few pics for you and show you the setup with the burner on top of the shuttle. I do however have the old SATA burner back in the case as I left the slimline at work over Christmas but it will be removed again shortly.

3. Received thanks from:

Crazy Fool (05-01-2010)

Thanks

I appreciate the comments mate, you might be right, most of my games now come from steam which to be honest is the only time i use the optical drive, as i have a laptop for burning, so maybe just a nice looking external is the way forward then. i do also have a NC10 and can use it on that i guess.
    Corsair 650D Case, TX 650w v2 PSU, Asrock Z68 Extream4 Gen3 Z68, i7 2600k @ 4.4, Corsair H60 Cooler, Corsair XMS3 8 DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600Mhz Duel Channel Kit, Crucial M4 120gb SSD, MSI Gefore GTX 570 1280MB GDDR5, 2 x 1TB Weston Digital, Windows 7 Pro

Thanks
    • Grey M@a's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K (With H100i cooling)
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, 1TB Cavier Black WD HD, 4TB Cavier Black WD HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390X Gaming Edition 8GB
      • PSU:
      • SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 850W Fully Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG 24GM77-B 144Hz
      • Internet:
      • 100MB Virgin Media Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Fool View Post
    I appreciate the comments mate, you might be right, most of my games now come from steam which to be honest is the only time i use the optical drive, as i have a laptop for burning, so maybe just a nice looking external is the way forward then. i do also have a NC10 and can use it on that i guess.
    I bought one as at the time of getting the netbook I was going to try a number of OS's on it to see which worked best but then I ended up stripping the NC10 down and putting in 2gb memory, 500GB laptop hard drive and the thing slowly turned into my main work horse when I couldn't be bothered to sit at the PC upstairs.

I will take some pictures for you tonight so you can see that its pretty much out of sight when in use as the thing is so small. It is probably around 2cm thick and no larger in size than a CD case.

Thanks

Thread 188955 | Looking for a similar product with BluRay...

Baius
    Tech: NAS | D2 | L1 | N1 | T2 | U1 | P3

0iD@TWDJT: P: Test flight OK, except auto-land very rough.
    S: Auto-land not installed on this aircraft.

Thread Information