• Coolermaster Cosmos S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Acer 27 inch led
      • Internet:
      • virgin 100 down 10 up

Thumbs down Netgear DGFV338 Wireless settings

I have been trying to enable wireless on my netgear DGFV 338 Router and all i get is this error every time i press apply

FAILED_TO_GET_PROFILE_INFORMATION

Anyone seen this before? also the drop down list to choose things like channel/region. I have attached a picture. When i click enable etc and then hit the apply button it all goes blank and i get this error. I have two of these routers one in each office running a VPN i have tried the other router and it does exactly the same so i think it is probably an error that i am making.

I am the gadget man!

Thanks
    • chavo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabertooth x79
      • CPU:
      • i7 3820
      • Memory:
      • 16gb corsair vengeance red. 1866
      • Storage:
      • Corsair force 3 240gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Matrix 5770 2Gb
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster M2 850w modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Cosmos S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Acer 27 inch led
      • Internet:
      • virgin 100 down 10 up

Re: Netgear DGFV338 Wireless settings

no one able to help with this one?
    I am the gadget man!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chavo View Post
    I have been trying to enable wireless on my netgear DGFV 338 Router and all i get is this error every time i press apply

FAILED_TO_GET_PROFILE_INFORMATION

Anyone seen this before? also the drop down list to choose things like channel/region. I have attached a picture. When i click enable etc and then hit the apply button it all goes blank and i get this error. I have two of these routers one in each office running a VPN i have tried the other router and it does exactly the same so i think it is probably an error that i am making.
    This post showed up when I was searching for the same error on my Netgear FVG318 so you'll have to test and see if it works for yours.

It took me awhile to figure this one out - I almost sent back the router! After resetting the router a few times and trying to work with the wireless settings I noticed that it was only then that it would provide that error code. So what it ended up being is the shared key settings in the wireless - originally I specified only the 1st key and left the other 3 blank - which is the problem that is making things fail.

So the easiest way to deal with it is after doing a hard reset on the device (hold the reset button in for 30 seconds, then unplug/plug in the device - which will reset everything to the factory settings) when you're in the wireless setup just type in a passphrase into the web passphrase textbox then click the "generate key" button. After that you can just change one of them to the value that you want it to be at, click apply of course to save your settings and you should be good to go.

Let me know if that works for you too!

It's also worth mentioning that if anyone reading this has the FVG318 model (ONLY) there is a V1 and V2 version of the firmware available - so if you don't already have the latest V2 update in place you should do that regardless of whether it's a V1 - it does work - ignore anything telling you it doesn't including the website UNLESS you need to be concerned about your warranty on the unit because it will invalidate that since it isn't an officially approved procedure from NetGear so bear that in mind. After you've installed the update, to ensure that it's installed and working correctly make sure you do a hard reset on the device after the update on the web interface says its done by holding the reset button in for about 30 seconds, then unplug and plug the device back in and it will be reverted to the v2 factory settings so bear that in mind if you have a custom config set up you'll want to write it all down so that you can reconfigure it because it will wipe out your settings. WARNING: ONLY DO THIS WITH THE FVG318 model though - I don't know if there's other updates for the DGFV338 but if there's a V1 and V2 the same as the 318 model I would do some research first on that otherwise you could turn it into a useless brick!

4. Received thanks from:

vinnyT (10-07-2010)

Thanks

Hi Subnet, welcome to the forum.

I would guess that by now (over a year later) the op either has found an answer, or got a new router.

Thanks for taking the time to post your solution, I'm sure it will prove useful to someone researching this (or a similar) problem.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyT View Post
    Hi Subnet, welcome to the forum.

I would guess that by now (over a year later) the op either has found an answer, or got a new router.

Thanks for taking the time to post your solution, I'm sure it will prove useful to someone researching this (or a similar) problem.
    Wow! I didn't even look at the date on the OP's err... post, but such a detailed reply is/ could be very useful for someone else with a similar problem. So thanks.

Thread Information