Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Calling all water cooling Guru's :)

  1. #1
    Senior Member ajones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    1,143
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked
    70 times in 53 posts

    Calling all water cooling Guru's :)

    Watercooling a new rig. I haven't bought the rig (looking at AMD Hexa + single 58xx) so am not bothered about the water blocks just yet, and my current 939 system will be hitting silicon heaven. I don't plan to OC and the system will be installed into a CM-Stacker ATX/BTX sans light modding.

    The main reason for this is that I've wanted to build a water cooled system for years; consider this a hobby project.

    I've already got the tubing (1/2" ID 5/8" OD), anti-crink coils, radiators (incl barbs) and fans (3x 140).

    Basic plan is;
    Res > Pump/Top > Rad (240) > CPU > Rad (160) > GPU > Res

    Fill and drain lines off the reservoir, and filled with distilled water.

    The fans will be installed on the rads with "custom ducting" i.e. plastic tubing and plenty of gaffer tape. I've forgone a fan controller as I can't see how I can fit one at the moment - there's just not enough room to slip one into the front of my Stacker with the 240 radiator vertically mounted - I may consider placing it horizontally over the grill at the bottom and relocate the PSU to the top of the case, but that may not work with the 160 rad up there.

    Any input on the design and planned components would be gratefully received;

    1x 12V Laing DDC-1T+ Ultra 18W (MCP355)w/XSPC V3 Acrylic Pump Top
    - 2x 1/2" Hose Tail
    - 1x Laing DDC 4 Point Anti-Vibration Damping Kit

    1x EK Multioption RES 150 Rev2
    - 4x 1/2" Hose Tail
    - 1x EK Anti Cyclon Plate - Large

    1x 1/4 Fillport
    - 1/2" Hose Tail

    2x Silver Anti Algae KillCoils by iandh
    2x PrimoChill Black Steel Spring Clips - 5/8" OD - 10 Pack
    1x 1/4" BSPP Ball Valve
    1x 1/4" BSPP - 1/2" Hose Tail

    I'm a little confused about the reservoir regarding the optional top with BSPP fitting, but it looks like that comes as standard if I order through Specialtech. The 3 fittings in the bottom of the res aren't enough if I want it inline with the fill/drain lines coming off it.

    The best part of this project? The missus is paying for it

    Many thanks in advance!
    Last edited by ajones; 15-07-2010 at 08:09 AM. Reason: semantics
    Corsair 500R, Gigabyte GA-Z97MX Gaming 5, Win 10 Pro, i5 4690, Corsair HX750i, Sapphire Fury X, 256GB Sammy SM951 M.2 (System), 2TB WD20EZRX (iSRT w/ Sandisk SD6SB1M), WD SE16 640GB, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance, Corsair H100i
    Coolermaster Stacker, MSI 890GXM-G65, Win 10 Pro, AMD X6 1055T, Corsair HX 650, Sapphire HD7950 OC, Crucial 128GB C300 SSD, HD501LJ Spinpoint T166, 4x2GB Corsair XMS3, custom watercooled (single loop, 2 rads)
    Corsair 550D, Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP, Win 8.1 Pro, i5 4670K, Seasonic X-Series SS-750KM3, Asus GTX780 Poseidon, 240GB Crucial M500 (system), iSRT(Plextor PX-128M5S + 2TB Seagate Barracuda), Toshiba 750GB "scratch disk", 2x8GB Corsair DDR3, custom watercooled (single loop, 2 rads)
    Thecus N2200XXX w/2xWDC 3TB, N2200 w/ 2xSammy 1.5TB
    backup:
    A+ BB Storm, Asus P5E-VM-HDMI, Win 7 Pro 64bit, Q6600, Coolermaster GeminiII, Corsair HX 620, Corsair P64 SSD, 2x HD501LJ Spinpoint T166, Asus 6850 DirectCu, 4x2GB Corsair TwinX XMS2

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    125
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    7 times in 4 posts

    Re: Calling all water cooling Guru's :)

    My input, FWIW etc

    I have a CM Stacker STC-T01 with i5 @ 4GHz and a 4890 with about 10% o/c. I have a closed loop for the cpu/gpu with a PA120.2 sitting on top of the hole at the bottom of the case (with the grill removed) which is pretty much perfect fit. The pump sits under the HDs so it goes pump->tee to fillport @top of case->CPU->GPU->rad->pump. Fanwise I have 4 1200rpm S-FLEXs, 2 on rad, 1 on HDs and one at the back. It's almost silent and temps never get above 45 after pretty long gaming sessions.

    1) I don't know why you need 2 rads? Seems like complete overkill if you're not o/cing. Every component (plus the xtra tubing) is another pressure loss, so best to keep it simple imo. Altho I guess you bought them now

    2) closed loops are so much easier than a res, even if they take a little longer on the initial fill - I check the level every few months, and maybe top it up every 6. It's also less tubing/components in the case taking up space. Have you considered using a closed loop?

    3) don't bother with expensive additives - they are a ripoff, just use distilled water with a dollop of antifreeze in it. I've not had any algae in the last 5 years with this mix and it costs pennies from the local garage.

    4) no idea why you're using 140mm fans? Or a ball valve for that matter (in my experience these leak)?

    5) I prefer using the plastic toothed clips, nice positive lock (I would not want to be relying on a spring personally) and no chance of any short circuits (the tubes on my gpu maze4 get well close to the board)

    all of this is imo, feel free to ignore/mock.

  3. Received thanks from:

    ajones (15-07-2010)

  4. #3
    Senior Member ajones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    1,143
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked
    70 times in 53 posts

    Re: Calling all water cooling Guru's :)

    Quote Originally Posted by dmuz View Post
    My input, FWIW etc
    Heh, total n00b here (as will become apparent with my responses) so all input welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by dmuz View Post
    I have a CM Stacker STC-T01 with i5 @ 4GHz and a 4890 with about 10% o/c. I have a closed loop for the cpu/gpu with a PA120.2 sitting on top of the hole at the bottom of the case (with the grill removed) which is pretty much perfect fit. The pump sits under the HDs so it goes pump->tee to fillport @top of case->CPU->GPU->rad->pump. Fanwise I have 4 1200rpm S-FLEXs, 2 on rad, 1 on HDs and one at the back. It's almost silent and temps never get above 45 after pretty long gaming sessions.

    1) I don't know why you need 2 rads? Seems like complete overkill if you're not o/cing. Every component (plus the xtra tubing) is another pressure loss, so best to keep it simple imo. Altho I guess you bought them now
    yep!

    Quote Originally Posted by dmuz View Post
    2) closed loops are so much easier than a res, even if they take a little longer on the initial fill - I check the level every few months, and maybe top it up every 6. It's also less tubing/components in the case taking up space. Have you considered using a closed loop?
    I figured that using a res gives a little more flexibility and makes things easier... 2 plus points since I've never don't this before.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmuz View Post
    3) don't bother with expensive additives - they are a ripoff, just use distilled water with a dollop of antifreeze in it. I've not had any algae in the last 5 years with this mix and it costs pennies from the local garage.
    Was planning on just using distilled water. Gives me a reason to buy a distiller... purely for the purposes of producing pure water of course....
    Quote Originally Posted by dmuz View Post
    4) no idea why you're using 140mm fans? Or a ball valve for that matter (in my experience these leak)?
    Working on the principal that big is beautiful. Slower spinning, quieter etc. Plus got a load of gaffer tape hanging around that needs to be rid of! The ball valve was intended for the drain line. Better off using another fillport?
    Quote Originally Posted by dmuz View Post
    5) I prefer using the plastic toothed clips, nice positive lock (I would not want to be relying on a spring personally) and no chance of any short circuits (the tubes on my gpu maze4 get well close to the board)
    Good point... well presented!
    Quote Originally Posted by dmuz View Post
    all of this is imo, feel free to ignore/mock.
    Many thanks!
    Corsair 500R, Gigabyte GA-Z97MX Gaming 5, Win 10 Pro, i5 4690, Corsair HX750i, Sapphire Fury X, 256GB Sammy SM951 M.2 (System), 2TB WD20EZRX (iSRT w/ Sandisk SD6SB1M), WD SE16 640GB, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance, Corsair H100i
    Coolermaster Stacker, MSI 890GXM-G65, Win 10 Pro, AMD X6 1055T, Corsair HX 650, Sapphire HD7950 OC, Crucial 128GB C300 SSD, HD501LJ Spinpoint T166, 4x2GB Corsair XMS3, custom watercooled (single loop, 2 rads)
    Corsair 550D, Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP, Win 8.1 Pro, i5 4670K, Seasonic X-Series SS-750KM3, Asus GTX780 Poseidon, 240GB Crucial M500 (system), iSRT(Plextor PX-128M5S + 2TB Seagate Barracuda), Toshiba 750GB "scratch disk", 2x8GB Corsair DDR3, custom watercooled (single loop, 2 rads)
    Thecus N2200XXX w/2xWDC 3TB, N2200 w/ 2xSammy 1.5TB
    backup:
    A+ BB Storm, Asus P5E-VM-HDMI, Win 7 Pro 64bit, Q6600, Coolermaster GeminiII, Corsair HX 620, Corsair P64 SSD, 2x HD501LJ Spinpoint T166, Asus 6850 DirectCu, 4x2GB Corsair TwinX XMS2

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. TFC Water Cooling Radiator problems
    By AD-15 in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22-10-2009, 02:45 PM
  2. Water Cooling Upgrade Help - MCW30 and Asus Ramage 2 Extreme
    By DamoVOTF in forum Chassis and Mods
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-10-2009, 02:00 PM
  3. motherboards? silent water cooling kit!
    By goodie69 in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-08-2006, 10:27 AM
  4. Is water cooling possible in this case?
    By Shmee150 in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 24-06-2006, 12:24 PM
  5. Water cooling advice....
    By unkle77 in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-04-2006, 12:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •