Thread: Calling all water cooling Guru's :)

Thanks

Calling all water cooling Guru's :)

Watercooling a new rig. I haven't bought the rig (looking at AMD Hexa + single 58xx) so am not bothered about the water blocks just yet, and my current 939 system will be hitting silicon heaven. I don't plan to OC and the system will be installed into a CM-Stacker ATX/BTX sans light modding.

The main reason for this is that I've wanted to build a water cooled system for years; consider this a hobby project.

I've already got the tubing (1/2" ID 5/8" OD), anti-crink coils, radiators (incl barbs) and fans (3x 140).

Basic plan is;
    Res > Pump/Top > Rad (240) > CPU > Rad (160) > GPU > Res

Fill and drain lines off the reservoir, and filled with distilled water.

The fans will be installed on the rads with "custom ducting" i.e. plastic tubing and plenty of gaffer tape. I've forgone a fan controller as I can't see how I can fit one at the moment - there's just not enough room to slip one into the front of my Stacker with the 240 radiator vertically mounted - I may consider placing it horizontally over the grill at the bottom and relocate the PSU to the top of the case, but that may not work with the 160 rad up there.

Any input on the design and planned components would be gratefully received;

1x 12V Laing DDC-1T+ Ultra 18W (MCP355)w/XSPC V3 Acrylic Pump Top
    - 2x 1/2" Hose Tail
    - 1x Laing DDC 4 Point Anti-Vibration Damping Kit

1x EK Multioption RES 150 Rev2
    - 4x 1/2" Hose Tail
    - 1x EK Anti Cyclon Plate - Large

1x 1/4 Fillport
    - 1/2" Hose Tail

2x Silver Anti Algae KillCoils by iandh
    2x PrimoChill Black Steel Spring Clips - 5/8" OD - 10 Pack
    1x 1/4" BSPP Ball Valve
    1x 1/4" BSPP - 1/2" Hose Tail

I'm a little confused about the reservoir regarding the optional top with BSPP fitting, but it looks like that comes as standard if I order through Specialtech. The 3 fittings in the bottom of the res aren't enough if I want it inline with the fill/drain lines coming off it.

The best part of this project? The missus is paying for it

Many thanks in advance!
    Last edited by ajones; 15-07-2010 at 08:09 AM. Reason: semantics

Corsair Air 540, Asus Prime X570-Pro, Win 10 Pro, AMD R9 3900X, Corsair HX 750, EVGA 1080 Ti, 2x Corsair 2TB MP600, 2x 2TB WD20EZRX, 4x8GB Corsair Dominator, custom watercooled (single loop, 2 rads)
    Corsair 550D, Asus X470-Prime Pro, Win 10 Pro, AMD R7 2700, Corsair RM750i, Asus GTX780 Poseidon, 2x Sammy 500GB 970 EVO, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance, custom watercooled (single loop, 2 rads)
    Synology DS918+ w/ 2xWDC Green 3TB + 2x Seagate Barracuda 6TB, N2200 w/ 2xSammy 1.5TB
    backup:
    Corsair 500R, Gigabyte GA-Z97MX Gaming 5, Win 10 Pro, i5 4690, Corsair HX750i, Sapphire Fury X, 256GB Sammy SM951 M.2 (System), WD SE16 640GB, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance, Corsair H100i

Thanks

Re: Calling all water cooling Guru's :)

My input, FWIW etc

I have a CM Stacker STC-T01 with i5 @ 4GHz and a 4890 with about 10% o/c. I have a closed loop for the cpu/gpu with a PA120.2 sitting on top of the hole at the bottom of the case (with the grill removed) which is pretty much perfect fit. The pump sits under the HDs so it goes pump->tee to fillport @top of case->CPU->GPU->rad->pump. Fanwise I have 4 1200rpm S-FLEXs, 2 on rad, 1 on HDs and one at the back. It's almost silent and temps never get above 45 after pretty long gaming sessions.

1) I don't know why you need 2 rads? Seems like complete overkill if you're not o/cing. Every component (plus the xtra tubing) is another pressure loss, so best to keep it simple imo. Altho I guess you bought them now

2) closed loops are so much easier than a res, even if they take a little longer on the initial fill - I check the level every few months, and maybe top it up every 6. It's also less tubing/components in the case taking up space. Have you considered using a closed loop?

3) don't bother with expensive additives - they are a ripoff, just use distilled water with a dollop of antifreeze in it. I've not had any algae in the last 5 years with this mix and it costs pennies from the local garage.

4) no idea why you're using 140mm fans? Or a ball valve for that matter (in my experience these leak)?

5) I prefer using the plastic toothed clips, nice positive lock (I would not want to be relying on a spring personally) and no chance of any short circuits (the tubes on my gpu maze4 get well close to the board)

all of this is imo, feel free to ignore/mock.

3. Received thanks from:

ajones (15-07-2010)

Thanks

Re: Calling all water cooling Guru's :)

Quote Originally Posted by dmuz View Post
    My input, FWIW etc
    Heh, total n00b here (as will become apparent with my responses) so all input welcome!
    I have a CM Stacker STC-T01 with i5 @ 4GHz and a 4890 with about 10% o/c. I have a closed loop for the cpu/gpu with a PA120.2 sitting on top of the hole at the bottom of the case (with the grill removed) which is pretty much perfect fit. The pump sits under the HDs so it goes pump->tee to fillport @top of case->CPU->GPU->rad->pump. Fanwise I have 4 1200rpm S-FLEXs, 2 on rad, 1 on HDs and one at the back. It's almost silent and temps never get above 45 after pretty long gaming sessions.

1) I don't know why you need 2 rads? Seems like complete overkill if you're not o/cing. Every component (plus the xtra tubing) is another pressure loss, so best to keep it simple imo. Altho I guess you bought them now
    yep!

2) closed loops are so much easier than a res, even if they take a little longer on the initial fill - I check the level every few months, and maybe top it up every 6. It's also less tubing/components in the case taking up space. Have you considered using a closed loop?
    I figured that using a res gives a little more flexibility and makes things easier... 2 plus points since I've never don't this before.
    3) don't bother with expensive additives - they are a ripoff, just use distilled water with a dollop of antifreeze in it. I've not had any algae in the last 5 years with this mix and it costs pennies from the local garage.
    Was planning on just using distilled water. Gives me a reason to buy a distiller... purely for the purposes of producing pure water of course....
    4) no idea why you're using 140mm fans? Or a ball valve for that matter (in my experience these leak)?
    Working on the principal that big is beautiful. Slower spinning, quieter etc. Plus got a load of gaffer tape hanging around that needs to be rid of! The ball valve was intended for the drain line. Better off using another fillport?
    5) I prefer using the plastic toothed clips, nice positive lock (I would not want to be relying on a spring personally) and no chance of any short circuits (the tubes on my gpu maze4 get well close to the board)
    Good point... well presented!
    all of this is imo, feel free to ignore/mock.
    Many thanks!

Corsair Air 540, Asus Prime X570-Pro, Win 10 Pro, AMD R9 3900X, Corsair HX 750, EVGA 1080 Ti, 2x Corsair 2TB MP600, 2x 2TB WD20EZRX, 4x8GB Corsair Dominator, custom watercooled (single loop, 2 rads)
    Corsair 550D, Asus X470-Prime Pro, Win 10 Pro, AMD R7 2700, Corsair RM750i, Asus GTX780 Poseidon, 2x Sammy 500GB 970 EVO, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance, custom watercooled (single loop, 2 rads)
    Synology DS918+ w/ 2xWDC Green 3TB + 2x Seagate Barracuda 6TB, N2200 w/ 2xSammy 1.5TB
    backup:
    Corsair 500R, Gigabyte GA-Z97MX Gaming 5, Win 10 Pro, i5 4690, Corsair HX750i, Sapphire Fury X, 256GB Sammy SM951 M.2 (System), WD SE16 640GB, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance, Corsair H100i

Thread Information