Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P4 2.8Ghz Cooling

Marmoset Warrior
    Thanks

P4 2.8Ghz Cooling

Heres the deal
    I have been painstakingly trying to shut my PC up, I bought it about 9 months ago as an of the shelf jobby (big mistake, what a fool I was), now as I have been modding it and adding all this extra stuff (new G/C, HDDs etc) i have noticed it is getting a bit noisy when i'm watching films and stuff.
    Now i just bought the Tagan 480W and its superb and very quiet, downside is, I have 2 noisy fans, a big HSF cooling my p4 2.8B
    Now, I am gonna mod my case a bit and fit a pair of 120mm's so I will reduce all the little 80mm whiners appart from my HSF. I was going to mount my Vantec stealth on it, but I didn't think 27 CFM could cut it. Now, I have the standard Heat Sink and Fan that came with the p4 and I havent forked out for a new sink yet. Is there a Heat Sink out there that could cool a 2.8 (no o/c) with as little noise as possible?
    Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
    watercooling, if you can afford it. i dont use it so i cant advise on parts/kits etc

wibble
    Thanks
    Just get a large lump of copper m8, and it should be fine

I've got an slk800 cooling an xp1700 @ stock with a papst 25cfm fan on it (42C load) so something along those lines should be fine as p4's are generally cooler running than AMD.

Thanks
    You can do alot worse than a Zalman 7000 AlCu, and at just over £20 from extremecooling.co.uk with no P&P charge it's a steal.
    http://www.extremecooling.co.uk/s/pr...product=601956

It's a great performer, comes with the FanMate to control RPM so you can keep it v.quiet - just as good as it's bigger brother the all copper version which is more expensive. Check out reviews such as at www.silentpcreview.com, useful site for things quiet.

Marmoset Warrior
    Thanks
    Looks like the thing for me, a nice old lump of copper a bit worried about the weight thing, cuz i'm always taking my rig around places so I don't want it ripping from my board.

Thanks
    Which is that then - Zalman or Thermalright? The AlCu Zalman is pretty light compared to the full copper monty.

Marmoset Warrior
    Thanks
    The solid copper one, all the stuff i've read say's its like 730grams, thats alotta weight. Looks like the AlCu is my only option, say thats adequete cooling for a 2.8 then?

wibble
    Thanks
    730g is ALOT - I thought my aerocool dp102 was bad (530g).
    I forgot to mention that one - I can run my 2.8c @ stock with no fans on the heatsink at all and the 2x 80mm case fans directly above it keep it below 50C load - however I run @ 3.4Ghz with 2 quietish fans on it

edit: the zalman should be fine for your needs - tbh if ur running @ stock you shouldn't really need a huge heatsink

Thanks
    heh its not that much. A few days ago my raw copper arrived, which I wil make cpu, gfx, nb and mosfet waterblocks from - in total it wieghs 2.2 KG!.

If its held on with clips then dont go above 500grams, but if its bolted on (like with most socketA waterblocks) then theres not really any limit...

Id go for the thermalright slk800 or better. Get a full copper one anyway, alu is crap (and its only used to make it cheaper to produce...)

Thanks
    Yup the AlCu is 445g and will see you through when you decide to try overclocking your P4 (which is easy BTW!) and start increasing the volts at higher clock speeds, or if you just buy a faster chip.

Marmoset Warrior
    Thanks
    Yeah, the AlCu sounds pretty cool, can always save up for a new 1 if it turns out crap. I was thinking of trying a bit of overclocking sometime soon, havent got the guts for it quiet yet though

Thanks
    BTW, maybe you've seen this (pg3 in particular)?

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article92-page1.html

OK so their "stress" test is with a 2.53Ghz P4 but they compare the all-Cu to the AlCu at various fan voltages - quite a useful read!

Marmoset Warrior
    Thanks
    Yeah, i just read it. The AlCu sounds pretty good actually, the weight is much better than the pure copper one. Might be buying that sometime soon then. Can anyone recommend any decent quiet case fans, I have an ambient case temp of about 31 degrees at the moment (its not very hot outside tho, raining i think) I have got a Vantec stealth as exhaust and thats a bit noisy, even running at 10v

wibble
    Thanks
    For case fans - the best are papst, I've got some 8412 ngmlv's which are 15-19db 21-25cfm iirc.
    The panaflo L1A's are a good buy from here also the y-stech silents are very popular, check out extremecooling - free postage on both sites as well

Thanks
    Just a quick confirmation on the 7000AlCu for you - I run a P4 3.06 at 3.5 on mine totally stable - so a 2.8c should me absolutely fine - even in quiet mode.
    Now go away before I taunt you a second time.

Happy Now?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by r1zeek
    Is there a Heat Sink out there that could cool a 2.8 (no o/c) with as little noise as possible?
    Any help would be appreciated
    Zalman CNPS 7000 alcu

Works for me, pretty damn quiet! My 2.8C is totally stable even when running games on the slowest setting. Although, i did break a fan blade and now have to use a separate fan over it but it still applies and works the same.
    I dont like sig pics so i turn off sigs Which doesnt help when i dont know what ive written here! DOH!

Thread Information