• Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista Home Premium, Ubuntu 8.10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung T220 22"
      • Internet:
      • Plus.net Broadband Your Way Option 2

Second TX650W in less than a year

OK, back in around January my TX650W completely died on me without warning, and it's now happened again. I just went to turn my PC on, the wall plug circuit fused and the PSU is now completely bricked; similar circumstances to before. Does this indicate that there's a fault with my household wiring, is the fault with the PSU, or could a component in the PC be at fault?

I find the latter possibility unlikely given that the failure happened the moment I turned the PC on, and surely any PSU-killing fault inside the PC would have killed the new one as soon as it was replaced. As you can see, the components are well within the specified wattage.

If it is the PSU's fault, then I'm hacked off beyond belief, since at £30 postage to RMA to the Netherlands, my PSU has now cost as much in RMA deliveries as the original product. So much for the much vaunted five year guarantee.

Any thoughts on how I could narrow down the fault?

Give some Hz to help where it hurts: BOINC Folding@Home

Thanks
    • TAKTAK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT 50th Anniversary
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet SFX-L 600W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-O11 Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb FTTP

Re: Second TX650W in less than a year

Don't send it to the Netherlands... Send it to the retailer that you bought it off...

Your contract is with them not the manufacturer...
    Post Counts and Other Rewards, Rules, Folding@Home, Fans: Push vs Pull vs Push-Pull, Corsair PSU OEMs.

Quote Originally Posted by razer121 View Post
    Would you like me to enter you? it would be my pleasure
    TAKTAK.co.uk

Hexus.trombonist
    Thanks
    • Powderhound's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz under a Xigmatek HDT-S1283
      • Memory:
      • 4GB OCZ Reaper HPC 1066MHz
      • Storage:
      • 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor ATI Radeon HD 4850
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650W
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung T220 22"
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    Don't send it to the Netherlands... Send it to the retailer that you bought it off...

Your contract is with them not the manufacturer...
    It was Ebuyer; they claimed last time that because a year had passed since I bought it I would have to provide an independent report showing the fault existed at time of purchase. It was some call centre moron who basically just fobbed me off. I asked about this on the forum, and the opinion seemed to be that they were correct.

I've just sent an email to PC Pro's Watchdog section to see if they can shed any light on the issue.

Thanks
    • Jasp's system
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k @ 3.4GHZ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 512Gb Crucial MX100 1 x 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 670 SC
      • PSU:
      • 850W Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Coolmaster Haf X V2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64-Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2412M 1920X1200
      • Internet:
      • 6Mb ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by Powderhound View Post
    It was Ebuyer; they claimed last time that because a year had passed since I bought it I would have to provide an independent report showing the fault existed at time of purchase. It was some call centre moron who basically just fobbed me off. I asked about this on the forum, and the opinion seemed to be that they were correct.

I've just sent an email to PC Pro's Watchdog section to see if they can shed any light on the issue.
    Ya kidding right? all corsair PSUs ship with either a 3/5/7 year warranty depending on the specific one. 5 Specifically on the TX650.

The retailer should accept the RMA and send it where it needs to go then back to yourself.

Hexus.trombonist
    Thanks
    • Powderhound's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q-E
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650W
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung T220 22"
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Jasp View Post
    Ya kidding right? all corsair PSUs ship with either a 3/5/7 year warranty depending on the specific one. 5 Specifically on the TX650.

The retailer should accept the RMA and send it where it needs to go then back to yourself.
    The issue seems to be that they argue that a manufacturer's guarantee means that I have to send it straight to the manufacturer. I'll try giving them another ring tomorrow, but previously they refused to deal with it at all.

Thanks

Powderhound, thats really annoying.

I have a some experience of electrical and electronics as a former electrician and PC engineer.

As I have not noticed people complaining of this Corsair PSU being a problem it points to something with your particular equipment or just a very extraordinary coincidence.

It may be that you had your particular PSU that was repaired under warranty and it still has a fault that is causing the problem, It may be your local power situation IE something causing an effect from a voltage surge or spike, local to you, less likely I feel but it can't be ruled out I suppose.

Its impossible to say at a distance.

Did you get a new PSU or the same one returned after repair ?

Is your electrical installation modern, and installed by a professional electrician ?

Edit: On reflection to cause the PSU to blow the local supply circuit its strange and I can't think of anything off hand. Has the supply lead been changed as well ?
    Last edited by switchmode; 07-08-2010 at 10:59 PM.

Hexus.trombonist
    Thanks
    • Powderhound's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q-E
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650W
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung T220 22"
      • Internet:

I'm pretty sure the PSU was a new one; it came in a shrink-wrapped box with a new Corsair cloth bag and kettle lead (I didn't bother packing the old ones for the RMA to save weight). I can't remember whether I used the old lead or the new one when it returned, but it was definitely the Corsair-supplied one.

In terms of household wiring, it's all original from circa. 1988 save for the plug socket which was changed recently because one of the switches (for the other PC) failed mechanically recently; ie it just wore out and wouldn't budge. The first failure happened before socket was changed, so I doubt the issue is there.

The PC itself is plugged into an Intelli-panel multiple plug socket of the sort which cuts power to the peripherals when switched off. Could this cause any problems? I turn off the socket at the wall every night and if I'm going out. There is another PC with peripherals etc. plugged into the other half of the wall socket, but this was switched off when the failure happened.

Is there any possibility that the household circuit is overloaded? When the fuse went, the TV cut out, so they're obviously on the same fuse despite being in different rooms. Even so, surely this shouldn't have been to great a load, and it seems odd for a surge to occur at the exact moment I pressed the on switch. FWIW, the TV doesn't seem to have been permanently affected.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Powderhound View Post
    I'm pretty sure the PSU was a new one; it came in a shrink-wrapped box with a new Corsair cloth bag and kettle lead (I didn't bother packing the old ones for the RMA to save weight). I can't remember whether I used the old lead or the new one when it returned, but it was definitely the Corsair-supplied one.

In terms of household wiring, it's all original from circa. 1988 save for the plug socket which was changed recently because one of the switches (for the other PC) failed mechanically recently; ie it just wore out and wouldn't budge. The first failure happened before socket was changed, so I doubt the issue is there.

The PC itself is plugged into an Intelli-panel multiple plug socket of the sort which cuts power to the peripherals when switched off. Could this cause any problems? I turn off the socket at the wall every night and if I'm going out. There is another PC with peripherals etc. plugged into the other half of the wall socket, but this was switched off when the failure happened.

Is there any possibility that the household circuit is overloaded? When the fuse went, the TV cut out, so they're obviously on the same fuse despite being in different rooms. Even so, surely this shouldn't have been to great a load, and it seems odd for a surge to occur at the exact moment I pressed the on switch. FWIW, the TV doesn't seem to have been permanently affected.
    No I do not think its your "Intelli-panel" or that your sockets circuit is overloaded, if it was your circuit breaker would trip regularly.

When you switch the power on the psu either at the socket or the switch at the back of the psu you will get a small surge of power as the primary capacitors in the psu charge up, this may have tripped you circuit breaker if it was on the boarder line for load or is a bit sensitive. It will have many sockets on the one circuit breaker, this is normal.

It should not destroy your psu.

You could get your Circuit breaker in your consumer unit changed as a precaution I have no idea of prices for this these days so thats only as a precaution in case its arcing badly which might have an effect on the psu. But I am not sure if its the problem. so your call.

You have had a new socket outlet so probably not that.

I would like to be more help its a bit of a mystery.

Thanks
    • Antagram's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H97M-ITX/ac
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-4570S
      • Memory:
      • Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Intel 335 Series 180GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 750 Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone ST30SF
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG05W
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP Pavilion 24XW
      • Internet:
      • 40Mb max

You could try borrowing one, as there was a demand for them not so long ago. Or wait for Lidl/Aldi to get them in cheap.

The reason I suggest trying one is because I had a >500W Enermax PSU issue, and I was wondered if it was the properties wiring causing the problems, so bought a Belkin multiplug surge protector after the first failure.

After checking how much power the system pulled I dropped down to a Corsair HX450 (was lowest wattage modular PSU I could find) and not had any issues since.

As for ebuyer, I'd consult Consumer Direct (website not working for me). You can even phone them up for advice if prefer, as they may clarify if ebuyer is still obligated to deal with it past one year.

Thread Information