Thread: W.T.F. why me?

In a place called VERTIGO CrapshoT's Avatar
    Thanks

W.T.F. why me?

oh dear iv'e been having a bad few days.
    got hold of a nice quiet fan for my heatsink,so yesterday i decided to install it,easy i thought.installed it started the pc up,all the fans started,dvd lit up etc etc.. but no post.now iv'e spent all day yesterday and today farting about trying to find out whats wrong with my pc and why it won't post but
    still i'm clueless.iv'e tried everything bar a different cpu in(i'm actually waiting delivery of a xp-m to swap for my barton) and still no post.i know its not my
    gfx card,ram.i'm left thinking it could only be either my mobo,hard drive or my bios may have corrupt.anyone have any other ideas before i have to put it in to my local pc shop and pay £20 for them to look at it ?
    the things ive done to my pc and just putting a fan in has done this.plus my wife is now questioning whether it's worht having a pc now cos of all the costs lol .things just seem to be getting worse.
    any help would be gratefully appreciated.
    how's my punctution tonight anyway?
    Farts are like children.....You always love you're Own.!!!
    Wise Men learn from Other people's mistake's...Fool's learn from their OWN.!!!

Thanks
    • funnelhead's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Ultra Durable Z170
      • CPU:
      • Skylake 6600T + NZXT Kraken X41 Watercooler
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 256GB NVMe M.2 + 512GB SSD + 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD 980X
      • PSU:
      • 850W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define R5
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Entreprise
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 34" Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit
    the only thing i can think to guess at : Maybe the fan is so quiet and so slow that the bios is thinking you have fan failure and therefore preventing bootup. Perhaps try swapping the fan back / plugging a different fan into the #1 header and the hsf fan into #2.

maybe

?

funnel
    Do you think when Jesus comes back..... he ever wants to see another cross.......? *{God bless you Bill}

.::HomeServer::.
    #Dual 50W Xeons @2.5Ghz, 16GB, 34TB DrivePool, UPS#
    #Plex on all the screens#
    #Squeezeplay on all the Jogglers#

My Hexus Trust
    My Items for sale

Thanks
    • funnelhead's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Ultra Durable Z170
      • CPU:
      • Skylake 6600T + NZXT Kraken X41 Watercooler
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 256GB NVMe M.2 + 512GB SSD + 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD 980X
      • PSU:
      • 850W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define R5
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Entreprise
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 34" Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit
    is it starting up and then shutting down, or not starting at all......etc does the monitor come on briefly? Maybe the HS is back on incorrectly - cpu's can trip out their overheating protection in under a second when the HS isnt touching the cpu

ShaZam
    Do you think when Jesus comes back..... he ever wants to see another cross.......? *{God bless you Bill}

.::HomeServer::.
    #Dual 50W Xeons @2.5Ghz, 16GB, 34TB DrivePool, UPS#
    #Plex on all the screens#
    #Squeezeplay on all the Jogglers#

My Hexus Trust
    My Items for sale

Thanks
    my fans are on a nexus fanbus,i have the hsf on fulland all the fans spin and evreything starts as normal just no post.the monitor just flashes a amber light on and off.iv'e had the hsf off a couple of times incase of that but still nothing.it's a bitch!!!!!

MD
    Thanks
    • MD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-M PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 - i3570k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 256GB SSD's (Samsung and Crucial)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVidia 640
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 600W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08e MATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell Flat Panel
      • Internet:
      • 60mb Virgin Media
    As far as i knew, and I might be wrong, but surely the HSF has to be powered of the mobo rather than the fanbus cos hows the mobo going to detect there is a CPU fan attached to the mobo fan header?

Or am I on the wrong twig, branch, limb......I'll get me coat....

m@
    Please do not message me about Scan Free shipping, I no longer work for HEXUS.net

Thanks
    m@ttz - you can turn off CPU fan detection in the BIOS.

I suggest removing everything, and just leaving the memory in. If it complains of no graphics card, then turn it off again and stick the graphics card back in. Now see if it boots.

We need to work out if the motherboard is capable of diagnosing itself (see how far it gets through the POST process - there's more to POST than the boot screens.)
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    yes i had the fan detection off.i'll try it without the gfx card in the morning as iv'e had enough of it for today.i'll just end up angry and fixing it with my fists or a hammer lol

Thanks
    my guess would have been the CPU fan failure detection.

I've had similar problems where just, going around pushing on all the cards, CMOS battery, memory, etc... (reseating everything - ensuring contact) and it magically fixed it.

Try moving everythign around a little bit.

Also, you didnt use like 300lbs of force to mount your HSF and bend your mobo so much that the contacts broke somewhere?

I always get scared when mounting those HSF's that require tons of force. God how I love the P4 (and A64) mounting systems.

Thanks
    i have a sk-7 hs and it's pretty easy to take the fan off,i didn't take the hs off before all this happened.i was carefull taking off and putting the fan on.today iv'e had the whole thing apart pushing the cards and stuff in,making sure they were all correct.
    it's got me lost !!!

Thanks
    have you tried the original fan and the way it was before? Pretty damn sure a fan could do nowt to your system.

Thanks
    Ive had similar experience... one day my nf7-s just died for no reson atall (well maybe the soldering didnt help ) and I tryed about 5 times to fix it, without sucsess. now I just use it for parts and waterblock prototyping.

Maybe the bios has got corrupt? cant think how it would be linked to the fan... but these things have a habbit of being really annoyingly random... as a last attempt get the bios hotflashed by someone with same board..

which mobo is it btw? may be a "known" problem with it...

ALSO take the heatsink off, hold a THIN peice of metal (copper preferably) with paste onto the cpu. Power on and if it heats up you know its partly working. rip the powercable out as soon as possible (it is safe for about 10 seconds atleast). This will give you a good indication if the mobo is giving power to the cpu - my nf7-s doesnt.

Incase your worried of frying the cpu, i HAVE done this before using no metal, no paste, just my naked finger (which hurt a lot after), as a normal reflex I moved my finger away while it was stil on but the cpu was fine, *no* damage atall (if it got hot, hairline cracks would have appeared, though it would still work) and still works.
    Oh and the cpu still works fine, still clocks upto 2.4ghz (maybe 2.5 if i had decent cooling...)

Before doing this I definatly recommend clearing bios so that it boots at [stock multi]*100, giving a lot less heat...

Btw mine I think died becuase of nb/mosfet overheating, it was highly clocked at the time..

Thread Information