Thread: dfi nf11 ultra infinity and memory please help

Thanks

dfi nf11 ultra infinity and memory please help

hi all

i think i am going to get this mobo but i need a bit of advice i looked on their website re memory modules and they have figures like 256 512 is this what they have tested or the max it will take of this type of ram

for instance i was looking at getting 2x512 geil matched for dual channel but on their site it says 512 does this mean it will only work on dual channel with 2x256 meg sticks or will it take the 1gb nicely

also any thoughts on this mobo would be nice know i know there are better boards out there is asus deluxe but i have a couple of reasons for wanting this

the board seems very feature filled and got everything i need for a great price

also apperentley it is one of very few mobos where there is about an inch and a half extra room between agp slot and first pci slot

not a prob for most but i have that huge leadtek fx5900 and it is a monster and looks really cramped in my current setup i just thought this would give it a bit more breathing space

Thanks
    Its a normal nf2 board and has the same req. for ram as all others (although some can be more picky, MSI ones for example iirc..), so yes 1gb would work very nicley.

Both my nf7-s's have the extra gap between agp and pci, which is nice, without it my (last) gpu block wouldnt have fit without ANY pci cards... (excessive use of connectors) next one will not take any though - just the gap.

There seems to be a lot of problems with that board, but also its the best once working, apparantly getting upto 280fsb in some cases - most nf7-s's max out at 225 without vmods.

Thanks
    when you say there seems to be a lot of probs with the board are you refering to the overclocking side as i am gonna just stick a barton2800 in there at stock speed i dont really need to overclock anyways this board is on special for 48 quid at pc world with free delivery

is it worth the pop

now if only they had some of that half price pny ram in lol

Thanks
    • funnelhead's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Ultra Durable Z170
      • CPU:
      • Skylake 6600T + NZXT Kraken X41 Watercooler
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 256GB NVMe M.2 + 512GB SSD + 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD 980X
      • PSU:
      • 850W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define R5
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Entreprise
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 34" Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit
    Hi there jonny - yes its a good board, fast with good features and now it's cheap too. However i would only recommend the board if you arent scared of bios flashing and tweaking - getting it to run with 1gb of ram requires a flash with a new bios, then a fiddle to turn 'cpc' to 'off'. Easy enough for the average hexus user, just not for aunt mavis.

Also be aware that to get any of the thermalright u-series heatsinks to fit you have to buy an adapter for £5 - just in case you have one of those.

Also, and this applies to any nforce 2 board, don't use the nvidea drivers that ship with the board - they're not v fast and the speakers make a funny noise if the comp is left idle (well mine did) . Instead download the 'remix' drivers - they've better sound quality and moere stable to boot.

I'll post up some choice links for support, bios and remix driver if you get it. Which you should - £48 is a bloody bargain.

Mart
    Do you think when Jesus comes back..... he ever wants to see another cross.......? *{God bless you Bill}

.::HomeServer::.
    #Dual 50W Xeons @2.5Ghz, 16GB, 34TB DrivePool, UPS#
    #Plex on all the screens#
    #Squeezeplay on all the Jogglers#

My Hexus Trust
    My Items for sale

Thanks
    oh damn funnel just call me aunt mavis then i have only flashed a bios once on my current msi board

if i only went with 512 mg og geli 2x256 would i still need to flash (i just the price of mem at minute lol

dont get me wrong i dont think its i cant do it its a case of messing the board up

now if there was someone who could give me links and step byu step simpleton instructions hint hint i might be ok

i thought that the board had a auto update on the bios like the msi live update

any links and such you can give me now would help to make a decision on getting this board

Thanks
    • funnelhead's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD 980X
      • PSU:
      • 850W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define R5
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Entreprise
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 34" Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit
    I dont mind talking you through it and giving lnks mate - just get the board it aint that hard! Just takes copying a few files onto a floppy, booting off it and typing 'awdflash 1216.bin' and you've done it. Trust me you'll be alright. Have some lunch while i ferret out some links for you.
    Do you think when Jesus comes back..... he ever wants to see another cross.......? *{God bless you Bill}

My Hexus Trust
    My Items for sale

Thanks
    • funnelhead's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD 980X
      • PSU:
      • 850W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define R5
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Entreprise
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 34" Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit
    http://www.dfi-street.com/bios.html

Get your bioses here - don't worry that they say beta - thats just due to a liscencing restriction with nvidia that stops them doing certain things (good things) in an official bios. These are written by the guy who did the board so it's all good.

I would recommend the 12/31/03 bios as it fixes the 1gb issue and has run rock solid for me for 4 months now.

http://forums.pcper.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66

This is the official DFI mobo support forum, you can usually find any answers to questions here.

http://mwarhead.motherboardfaqs.com/news.php

Get your remix drivers here. As suggested on the site i'd install everything except the SW IDE driver as although faster, some ppl get stability issues

Bios Flashing instuctions to follow after lunch

ShaZam

F

My Hexus Trust
    My Items for sale

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by funnelhead
    http://www.dfi-street.com/bios.html

Get your bioses here - don't worry that they say beta - thats just due to a liscencing restriction with nvidia that stops them doing certain things (good things) in an official bios.
    Eh no, it's not.
    It's because they are not supported by DFI & are unwarrantied.

Mind you PC World will take the board back if you flash it & kill it but just tell them that it was DOA etc.

Thread Information