Thread: Micro-ATX and triple DDR-3

Thanks

Micro-ATX and triple DDR-3

Hello
    I haven't been looking too hard at the PC world for some time, I am interested in upgrading my motherboard/RAM/CPU in my setup, as the rest of it is still in very good condition, and I bought a GPU not too long ago (HD-4830).

I have a Micro-ATX case, and I would like to take advantage of the latest triple-channel DDR-3 ram. The i5 750 seems like the CPU to get, is it possible to get a uATX motherboad on the 1156 skt that supports triple channel? Any ideas if one is planned?
    just if I am going to upgrade, I'd like to also at least also go up in RAM capacity from 4G to 6GB, so I feel something was increased...

Seems like it's only the i7 boards which do, but then I am into serious-cash territory.

Thanks
    • Ulti's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B550I Gaming Edge
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • Kingston 32GB HyperX 3200Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Corsair MP510 1920GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti FE
      • PSU:
      • SilverStone SX500-LG V2.0
      • Case:
      • SSUPD Meshlicious
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC Agon AG322QC4 31.5"
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk Fibre 150Mb

Re: Micro-ATX and triple DDR-3

The only consumer platform that supports triple channel DDR3 RAM is the X58 chipset which supports the i7 (and possible some Xeons, not too sure) series.

No socket 1156 motherboards support triple channel as they are based on the H55/57 or P55 chipset which only support single and dual channel memory.

To be honest you probably won't need 6GB RAM or the benefits of triple channel memory.

You're probably better off upgrading your GPU if you game a lot (I know you said you bought it not too long ago but still) or getting an SSD for a generally faster system (trust me, they are fassssssssssssst). I can't see any of your system specs though so can't really comment much but I can tell that you have 4GB RAM along with a 4830. Would be great if you could list your specs and/or uses for the pc.

Thanks

*Thanks for the quick reply, and for confirming my suspicions. (*added so I don't sound like a complete asshole)

>>To be honest you probably won't need 6GB RAM or the benefits of triple channel memory.
    It does appear that a lot of games are CPU limited as much as GPU (GPU is easy to scale back with settings, AA, CPU is not so much)
    Additionally I like to stream video at the same time as game, just for a laugh.
    So I'm not so sure. I remember the day I found that F.E.A.R. wasn't able to run on my machine because I only had 2GB of RAM...

But looks like I don't have a choice.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

The CPU limitation is overrated in most cases IMHO and even then it is more to do with not having enough cores,ie, not having a triple or quad core CPU. Modern CPUs are quite fast TBH and in most cases most games are still limited by the speed of their graphics cards. Of course I am referring to single card setups which the majority of people have.

I have a Q6600 and an overclocked HD4830 and it is fine for the games I have played at 1440X900 and 1680X1050.

Thread Information