Thread: Epoxy resins for you :)

Thanks

Epoxy resins for you :)

Thought these epoxy resins might be of interest. I can recommend these two as I've used them both for bonding heatsinks etc on with. Both available at Halfords for £5 and £6.

For general use and items requiring quick bonding and temps below 90 degrees C (that's most heatsinks really except CPU and GPU or really hot mosfets):

And for those really butch bonding jobs this one: (it's good for 300 degrees C and is massively strong! ....but takes around 12 - 24 hours to cure fully) it's a dark grey colour before anyone asks Here's the product info http://www.jbweld.co.uk/files/prodb.html

I've used the JBweld to bond a P3 heatsink and fan to a GF4 and it is ON THERE like a rock!! I tried to twist it off and it is not comming off ever! I intended to run the GF4 passive with it but it got very hot and just needed some slight airflow.
    I'm satisfied they are up to the job for heat transfer, but I've not tested it scientifically . I am very impressed with the JBweld for coping easily with a large very hot heatsink though. (me runs it with the P3 fan on now).

Shame it takes so long to cure but good thermal ability and rock hard bonding The filler is made with particles of iron and steel so it should conduct heat.... it may conduct electric though, but I have tested some that had dried on the cardboard where I'd mixed it and it didn't appear to do so.

CHeers,

MM
    Last edited by Mr Meltdown; 13-05-2004 at 05:19 PM.

Thanks
    so these actually conduct heat? or do you use thermal paste in the middle and this around the outside?

Thanks
    1st post now ammended.

CHeers,

MM
    Last edited by Mr Meltdown; 13-05-2004 at 05:17 PM.

Thanks
    • funnelhead's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Ultra Durable Z170
      • CPU:
      • Skylake 6600T + NZXT Kraken X41 Watercooler
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 256GB NVMe M.2 + 512GB SSD + 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD 980X
      • PSU:
      • 850W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define R5
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Entreprise
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 34" Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit
    Lol looks good. I use superglue round the outside and as5 in theh midle for those *little* jobs, but i think ill get some of this for the man-size jobs. Might try to slip it in sum1's ear before they go to sleep ....
    Do you think when Jesus comes back..... he ever wants to see another cross.......? *{God bless you Bill}

.::HomeServer::.
    #Dual 50W Xeons @2.5Ghz, 16GB, 34TB DrivePool, UPS#
    #Plex on all the screens#
    #Squeezeplay on all the Jogglers#

My Hexus Trust
    My Items for sale

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup
    Iirc, Arctic Silver used to do their own 2 part epoxy, in fact i have some in my toolbox i've never used. Maybe they still do? Would be just as good, if not better than std epoxy?
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

Thanks
    Arctic Silver Epoxy might be best but if you cannot buy it locally and have to pay shipping cost on top so you can bond one lousy heatsink it's unreasonably expensive.

Halfords way to go.

I see model shops sell the JB-Bond stuff and they have a Kwik-Bond 4min 150 deg C JB branded epoxy. £4.99 your nearest model/hobby shop presumably.

How about a Hexus postal-it-on ring... I think one tube of Arctic Silver Epoxy is just about sufficient to bond all hexus members heatsinks. Your not using yours right cos you glued whatever it was you wanted to glue ages ago. Post-it-on mate... I could use a blob of glue.

Thanks
    Havent tryed it yet, but this is what I would do - put normal paste on the chips core as usuall. Put hot glue around the core, then squash the heatsink on. Hot glue can be removed, but will easly hold on a heatsink.

Thread Information