Thread: help with putting on software in right order on asus deluxe

Thanks

help with putting on software in right order on asus deluxe

hi all

my new asus e-deluxe mobo will be arriving soon and tbh im a little worried building this my one and only comp i own i built myself is now nearly 3 years old lol

so ive been reading up as much as i can on forms and stuff

god i hope all the parts i ordered are working else im shafted lol

right to the point i have read that it is best to install the nf2 chipset driver after installing dx9 but before gfx drivers

so am i installing this all right and is there anything missing i need to install i will be giving the onboard soundstorm a 10/100 ethernet a go instead of using my own

1.format h/d then install xp
    2 install dx9
    3 install nforce2 chipset drivers
    4 install gfx card drivers
    5 install any extras on cd with mobo

does the soundstorm drivers and 10/100 drivers come included with the nf2 chipset

also on my current comp i had to install a aspi file my old one is a via chipset will i still need to install this

also i am right in thinking i no longer need the hyperion drivers cuz they are for via and mine will be nforce 2

all my stuff comes on friday so i would like this to be a huge info thread for things that can help me ie. mobo settings jumper settings a page to somewhere that correctly tells you about applying paste to the cpu will be nice just to make sure i got it right

i also keep seeing peeps say xp2500 will run at 200 fsb straight the way but i thought this was only for unlocked barton 2500 i have just ordered mine so its got to be locked and isnt a mobile one

stuff ordered and coming any help or info on these aswell would be great

tagan 480w psu
    Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
    Lite on LDW-811S / 1S81/ 851 DVDRW±
    barton xp 2500 processer
    leadtek fx 5900 gfx card (from old machine)
    80 gig western digital hard d rive with 8meg cache
    512 meg corsair matched pc 3200 (only value but all i could afford will upgrade later )

ALL

Thanks
    Locked means that can't change the multiplier, but you change the FSB. That means you can change it from 166x11(XP2500+)to 200x11 (XP3200+).

Make sure before you connect to the internet to install all the patches for the worms/viruses like Blaster and Welchia since you can infected so quickly!

Hope this helps!

Mike
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Registered+
    Thanks
    I would advise not installing to much third party software, install only what you need first. We your pc is up and running, stable and able to run 3D mark for example then consider making a back up using something like Norton Ghost, that way is you mess it up you dont have to go thru the whole process again. If you dont have ghost make sure you have system restore enabled and make regular restore points.

Once again i would not mess with your FSB on day one, leave it a bit until everything is cool and yu are happy with the current performance. The fewer variables you have the easier it will be to troubleshoot your pc should a problem arise.
    Badger
    Gladiator Computers (Derby, UK)

Thanks
    AH SOME GOOD ADVICE I WASNT PLANNING on o/c for at least a couple of weeks and maybe not at all

am i right in the part about the 10/100 and sound drivers being on the nforce 4.24 chipset drivers which i have already downloaded i have got a fair bit of stuff burned on a disk ready but can add more

so far important stuff

nvidea drivers
    dx9
    nforce 4.24
    firewall which i will install before going on net

where can i get these patches from for viruses then as when i get on net i am gonna have to get all the updates again from micro soft

i am going to use my current fan which is on my system at minute i think it should be ok for barton 2500 it a aero lite 7 says rated to 3200

once again anything youcan give me will help

i.e anyone have this board and is there any silly jumpers or settings i need to make in the bios or on the board which could stump me

i have had a decnt read of the manuel and it seems most things in the bios are preset for optimal settings

cheers guys

wibble
    Thanks
    What madasabadger said is a good point - personally when i get a new mobo I do a clean windows install and as soon as its running how I want it (drivers/firewall etc. installed) I ghost the install as it can save alot of time and hassel in the future.

Soundstorm and ethernet drivers are in the nforce 2 c/set drivers.

I always install aspi drivers (adaptec) although alot of people don't.

Thanks
    ah right i may get this then

Thanks
    any more advice surley peeps have this board and can gve me some pointers

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjonnyauk
    where can i get these patches from for viruses then as when i get on net i am gonna have to get all the updates again from micro soft
    You can download them from microsoft.com as individual files so that you can stick them on a CD and install them without connecting to the internet. Like I said, I would install the virus hotfixes, virus scanner and firewall before connecting to the internet just to be absolutely safe!
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Thanks
    mike i really appriciate your help i typed in virus hotfixes on microsoft.com but couldnt really find what i needed i managed to get the sasserremoval tool but cant find any others

hint hint

wibble
    Thanks
    there is a rollup update you can get to slipstream into your xp cd - gimme a min and I'll hunt for a link

Thanks
    i have windows xp with sp1 on it im a bit lost with this slipstreming stuff lol

wibble
    Thanks
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

thats rollup 1, and contains updates until last October - it doesn't appear that there is another one since then. I'm sure you can install that after xp - so you don't need to slipstream it into the cd. However I think you'll have to download and install further updates individually

Thanks
    cheers skattrd i just d/l but i am hoping that is on my windows xp disk with sp1

Thanks
    Not sure whether the link skattrd posted already has these, but here are the Blaster and Welchia hotfixes for XP:

Thread Information