Thread: Budget Desktop Prebuilt PC (£400-£600)

Thanks

Budget Desktop Prebuilt PC (£400-£600)

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a Desktop PC on a budget, its important its a prebuild as I cannot be doing with the hassle of assembling it myself (I have done a self build but am not keen on it this time round).

My budget is between £400-£600, I am currently a Graphic Design student and plan to get a MacBook in July 2011 for the start Uni. So the use of the Desktop will be to replace my current ailing laptop I am using and serve as a backup to my macbook come the start of uni.

It will need to run the Adobe Applications with ease such as Photoshop, Illustrator & InDesign; preferably the latest cs5, then also the usual multimedia and also abit of gaming. Have a CD Key for Starcraft 3 but current laptop Manages WoW on minimum spec so to install that would be pointless.

I have been looking at systems on palicomp, namely the "CORE I3 BLAST 530OC44"
    can't link as I have too few posts currently.

I already have a monitor so looking for a base unit deal, thanks.

Thanks
    • kurosagi01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P755-M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i3 530 @ 3.3ghz 1.15v
      • Memory:
      • Crucial Ballastix 4GB DDR3 1333mhz
      • Storage:
      • 910GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • KFA2 EX OC GTX 460 768mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CX400W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone PS01-0W
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64-bit ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flatron W2234S
      • Internet:
      • Virgin media 10MB broadband

Re: Budget Desktop Prebuilt PC (£400-£600)

Like most of us will tell you a pre-built desktop are rubbish compared to custom builds,you be saving much more money and you will be getting better hardware.
    This build i would propose if you want stick to budget and for light gaming and for photoshop use.

Registered+
    Thanks

I see how you might not want the hassle of a pre-built but I also recommend it.
    Much more cost effective, especially as you will use it for graphics. Surely you want the best value you can get?

Thanks

Thanks for the responses, I do agree since the dawn of time custom builds have been more cost effective over prebuilts.
    My last custom build was a good 6 or so years ago and i remember the nightmare of wiring in the bloody case, factoring in the fans i needed to buy, not forgetting thermal pastes from my order. The task of getting it to just POST and a few hardware compatibility problems left abit of a sour taste.
    I haven't been able to keep up with the advances in the technology and probably on the same par as my grandad who thinks cordless phones are amazing.
    I saw all the awards and wondered if prebuilts have maybe gained some ground on custom builds.
    Also to add this PC would ideally be viable for the next 5+ years, is there a new CPU on the horizon that would crash the prices on the i5's or i7's and be worthwhile waiting?

Thanks kurosagi01 for taking the time to assemble a build tailored around my requirements is insightful and I think the next port of call is maybe to read up on some reviews for individual components.

Thanks
    • billythewiz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabertooth P67
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 2600K Clocked to 4.7GHz with Alpenfohn Matterhorn Performance Cooler
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb (2x4Gb) Corsair Vengeance, DDR3 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 1Tb Spinpoint F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Soprano
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 / Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer V243H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20Gb/s

I understand your reluctance as well as everyone else's enthusiasm for custom over pre-builds.

I built my last PC (6 years ago) and am now reluctant over the stress and time of a custom. One of my main complaints about my system is how untidy it is inside. My concern about pre-builds is all the bloatware (free trials of MS-Everything and McAfee virus ... sorry anti-virus stuff, etc.)

On the tidiness front I've heard good things about Scan 3XS systems. In your price range this one might do.

But be warned .... if you find your self unhappy with the PSU or the upgrade options of the Mobo or you start to think that USB 3 or SATA 6GBs would be really cool .... the you either have to pay more or DIY ....

Let us know what you decide, Oh and BTW, there is a new Intel architecture out soon. I've no idea if/when this will lower the costs of other systems.

Thread Information