View Poll Results: What is the point of CPU modding for you??

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Get an expensive CPU(over £100) and motherboard and improve performance for the e-peen

9 18.00%
  • Buy a cheaper CPU and motherboard and improve the performance so you have longer between upgrades

41 82.00%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the point of CPU modification for you??

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Re: What is the point of CPU modification for you??

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    So basically some people on Hexus are willing to pay for something which was free before. Very interesting.

Having said that that it seems many of the people who are against budget overclocking have quite expensive computers in the first place!
    For me, you answer your own question/issue with this post.

Firstly, and perhaps most importantly, what are the performance differences between an overclocked processor and un-overclocked one, in real terms? This is before you get to offer of Turbo Boost, not to mention the prices of component X,Y, & Z to ensure you have a stable overclock.

It was never free in any sense either AFAIK and I'm with the others in that you should buy performance you need.

I really don't see your grudge with Intel on this one!
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

What is the normal overclock percentage these days?

Last time I did it was the Celeron 300 to 450, a 50% increase and the different between a £100 and a £400 CPU. That made a massive difference in those days, I could be wrong, but I doubt I would ever get the kind of increases from overclocking that would make it worth the effort these days.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Terbinator View Post
    For me, you answer your own question/issue with this post.

Firstly, and perhaps most importantly, what are the performance differences between an overclocked processor and un-overclocked one, in real terms? This is before you get to offer of Turbo Boost, not to mention the prices of component X,Y, & Z to ensure you have a stable overclock.

It was never free in any sense either AFAIK and I'm with the others in that you should buy performance you need.
    The Intel CPUs under £100 don't have Turbo so it is a moot point.

It seems many on Hexus have very short memories.

The E4000 and E5000 series processors were quite cheap and could use a £50 motherboard to be overclocked with. My E4300 is still running overclocked at 3.1GHZ(from 1.8GHZ) using a £10 heatsink and a £50 motherboard.

It basically had better performance than a £200 E6600 at around half the price.

Plenty of people bought the E5000 series processors and got large overclocks on them using cheap motherboards.

I know people who have unlocked Athlon II X3 processors to Athlon II X4 and Phenom II X4 processors by using relatively cheap motherboards.

It seems budget overclocking and CPU modding is only dead in the eyes of people in this thread who all have expensive computers!

I really don't see your grudge with Intel on this one!
    I am still an Intel user BTW!

Regarding the grudge I don't have,Intel raised the prices of the socket 1156 motherboards over the socket 775 ones, has a monopoly on chipsets for Intel processors by locking out Nvidia and are charging extra for a CPU which can overclock.

Of course this excludes all the anti-competitive crap they have done in the last 5 years too.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 04-01-2011 at 02:43 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar View Post
    What is the normal overclock percentage these days?

Last time I did it was the Celeron 300 to 450, a 50% increase and the different between a £100 and a £400 CPU. That made a massive difference in those days, I could be wrong, but I doubt I would ever get the kind of increases from overclocking that would make it worth the effort these days.
    I'm not sure I agree, I bought a 2.9Ghz X3, now running at 3.2Ghz after 5mins in the BIOS & little effort. My last CPU just required an
    FSB bump & I've no idea what HT is but it was still simple, to me that is worth it

I've always bought CPUs with some expectations of an overclock even if it be 100-200mhz, if it's free then why not eek a little more out of it for 0 cost? Whether anything I do actually needs or uses that extra 300mhz is another question though!

5. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (04-01-2011)

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

It seems many on Hexus have very short memories.

The E4000 and E5000 series processors were quite cheap and could use a £50 motherboard to be overclocked with. I should know since I am one of those people. My E4300 is still running overclocked at 3.1GHZ(from 1.8GHZ) using a £10 heatsink and a £50 motherboard.

It basically had better performance than a £200 E6600 at around half the price.

Plenty of people bought the E5000 series processors and got large overclocks on them using cheap motherboards.

I know people who have unlocked Athlon II X3 processors to Phenom II X4 processors by using relatively cheap motherboards.

It seems budget overclocking and CPU modding is only dead in the eyes of people in this thread who all have expensive computers!

Many of the socket 775 processors could be overclocked a large amount and were under £100. Socket 1156 inflated the price of the lower end motherboards.
    So there is still an extra cost incurred for overclocking then - as i mentioned be it down to the prices of other components. I have to ask, how long was it before the extra performance actually became of some use given the prominence of the Conroe's ? I'm would wager about the time a few new series of faster, more efficient CPU's came out that can be overclocked past 4GHz with the stock cooler for about £20 more.

Well,Intel raised the prices of the socket 1156 motherboards over the socket 775 ones, has a monopoly on chipsets for Intel processors by locking out Nvidia and are charging extra for a CPU which can overclock.
    But thats nothing new is it?

Edit: And we've known this would be the case in terms of O/C on SB for a few months anyway, its not like they've dropped a bombshell at launch.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

So there is still an extra cost incurred for overclocking then - as i mentioned be it down to the prices of other components. I have to ask, how long was it before the extra performance actually became of some use given the prominence of the Conroe's ? I'm would wager about the time a few new series of faster, more efficient CPU's came out that can be overclocked past 4GHz with the stock cooler for about £20 more.
    Extra costs?? The £50 motherboard I got had a P35 chipset which was midrange. There were P31 based motherboards for £40 to £50 which were pretty much at the low end of socket 775 anyway and could be used to overclock too. Even with the stock cooler you could get away with a smaller overclock.

Also,the E4300 came out in early 2007 and the E5000 series in 2008.

But thats nothing new is it?
    ??? Not really.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 04-01-2011 at 03:00 PM.

Thanks
    • Georgy291's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ga-p55-ud3
      • CPU:
      • intel i5 750 @4.2
      • Memory:
      • 4gig DDR3 1600mhz 8.8.8
      • Storage:
      • 1tb samsung F3 + 200gig WD caviar black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6850 XF
      • PSU:
      • antec 750w something or other
      • Case:
      • antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" acer @1080p
      • Internet:
      • 24mb BE @ 22mb

Theres another point were all missing here. Your all looking at it in the way "intel removed over clocking and charged extra for it". Now consider looking at it from this way. When manufacturing cpus the yield rates are not 100%. So intel are making a mass of those CPUs. Those that pass the quality test are sold as "k" series at 100% of the price.

Where as those that failed the test for w/e reason are sold at lower price because they do work but wont over clock. And instead of being thrown away can be sold to people who wont bother over clocking anyway at cheaper price.

Looking at the i5 750 / 760 cpus. They were all sold at 2.66 / 2.88 but is there anyone who bought one with the intention of keeping it on stock? Intel just guaranteed them selves that they worked at 2.66 and sold it at that, but as the quality allowed nearly everyone got them to run faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduckUK View Post
    now that i think about the word "throttled" in a certain light... its not so far different to strangled really

our boiler broke so we has no heating or hot water, this is the bloody result ^^

Thanks
    • Max Tractor's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar TA890GXE
      • CPU:
      • 95w 1055T@x4-3.5Ghz-1.15v
      • Memory:
      • Samsung Green 30nm low voltage 2x4GB@1.26v
      • Storage:
      • Corsair 3 60GB-Sandisk Extreme 240GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 7850 2GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic SS-1050XM
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster elite 120(Modd)
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ EW2430

Firstly, and perhaps most importantly, what are the performance differences between an overclocked processor and un-overclocked one, in real terms?
    On a 1055t@4.0ghz compared to stock crunching world community grid help conquer cancer between 30/40mins per wu

not to mention the prices of component X,Y, & Z to ensure you have a stable overclock.
    I would argue that the MSI P55-GD65 that your running only got made to it spec because of overclocking and the enthusiasts that needed that particular type of board. Furthermore there has always been great boards for the budget minded overclocker, epox was a real champion back in the 939 days, my Abit - NF7-S v2.0 cost me £63 new, and biostar have been producing budget minded oc friendly boards since the TForce 6100, and some crackers since then tf 550 £53, tf560 £43, TF8200 A2+ £51(bought new june 08). There are still budget AMD board out there and the Asus M4A785D-M PRO(£56) that is in my server with a 1055t@3.8 albeit it with added heatsink to the pwr fets(I am a enthusiast after all and they were pennies) shows what can be done for a low budget.

Good quality components can be carried over from various builds my corsair hx620 has been through countless and is still in my main rig today over and will be 4 yrs old in april this year.

I never see it as free, I see it as a skill and a shared knowledge with fellow overclockers to ring out the best performance that ones budget allows

cheers
    Last edited by Max Tractor; 04-01-2011 at 03:11 PM. Reason: tf500

10. Received thanks from:

I'm Very Important
    Thanks
    • Domestic_Ginger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X2 550
      • Memory:
      • 4GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • F3 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 550vx
      • Case:
      • NZXT beta evo
      • Operating System:
      • W7
      • Monitor(s):
      • G2222HDL

You can't say they gaurantee any overclock at all. The only gaurantee is you get an unlocked multi.

12. Received thanks from:

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Georgy291 View Post
    Theres another point were all missing here. Your all looking at it in the way "intel removed over clocking and charged extra for it". Now consider looking at it from this way. When manufacturing cpus the yield rates are not 100%. So intel are making a mass of those CPUs. Those that pass the quality test are sold as "k" series at 100% of the price.

Where as those that failed the test for w/e reason are sold at lower price because they do work but wont over clock. And instead of being thrown away can be sold to people who wont bother over clocking anyway at cheaper price.

Looking at the i5 750 / 760 cpus. They were all sold at 2.66 / 2.88 but is there anyone who bought one with the intention of keeping it on stock? Intel just guaranteed them selves that they worked at 2.66 and sold it at that, but as the quality allowed nearly everyone got them to run faster.
    The Core i5 processors are not cheap processors as they are over £125.

It is the sub £100 to £120 processors like the Core i3 which are being sold from the start fully locked. Like I said before enabling a few extra multipliers(like with the Core i5 2400 which is semi-locked) would not cost Intel much money TBH.

These use a different die than the Core i5 processors. If you look at the previous socket 1156 Core i3 processors many people got decent overclocks with them AFAIK.

On top of this the H67 chipsets are meant not to have any overclocking options whereas the H55 chipset had this functionality. Intel has created the Z68 chipset for this purpose.

Thanks
    • Max Tractor's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar TA890GXE
      • CPU:
      • 95w 1055T@x4-3.5Ghz-1.15v
      • Memory:
      • Samsung Green 30nm low voltage 2x4GB@1.26v
      • Storage:
      • Corsair 3 60GB-Sandisk Extreme 240GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 7850 2GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic SS-1050XM
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster elite 120(Modd)
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ EW2430

Extra costs?? The £50 motherboard I got had a P35 chipset which was midrange. There were P31 based motherboards for £40 to £50
    Absolutely, I had the Gigabyte - GA-EP31-DS3L Scan Aug 2008 £41incl, rock solid with the e4300@3.2

edit

I also had the MSI - P35 Neo2 - FR Bought new from scan Jan 2008 £67.67 clocked my Q6600 Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz SLACR GO, Scan June 2008, £126 tp 3.4ghz

The question is, where is Intels 2011 equivalent
    Last edited by Max Tractor; 04-01-2011 at 03:17 PM.

15. Received thanks from:

Thanks

I like the ability to be able to overclock and/or unlock cores. For me it gives that bit extra to the whole PC experience.

I may not overclock straight away but as time goes on I like the option of giving things a bit more life. Not sure I would pay the extra Intel price for this though, I would go for AMD.

Right now I'm trying to decide whether to risk bying a Phenom II x 2 in the hope I can unlock it to a Phenom II x 4 and save quite a bit of cash! I've read alot of people have had success with the MB I'm planning to buy (ASUS M4A78LT-M LE) but do I take the risk?

17. Received thanks from:

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

I have highly overclockable parts. In my main rig at the moment, a Q9550 with a TRUE. It can easily do 3.4GHz, and at a push 3.6GHz, up from standard 2.83GHz.

However, I run them at stock. Why? Because it's a huge pain in the neck. The number of PC components I've bust over the years, the instability, the heat, the noise - I just cannot be bothered.

And in truth, it's largely fast enough as it stands. It's pretty rare that I'm playing a game that's CPU limited, and even if it is, it will always be CPU limited - like Football Manager for instance. So for the sake of each progress snap taking an extra 10 seconds or so, I'll wait it out and just buy a new CPU in a while if I really need to.

In short - not worth the effort. If I was looking at the other end of the market, then I would probably take it much more seriously, trying to get the best I can for £50, but when my budget for my CPU was £200 it's really not the same issue it was.

As for the matter as a whole, I think it's typical abuse of position by Intel. With a bit of luck, AMD can exploit the gap to some extent, providing the only good quality cheap overclockable parts. In the long run however, I'm positive that Intel will be the winners, because they always are.

19. Received thanks from:

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Extra costs?? The £50 motherboard I got had a P35 chipset which was midrange. There were P31 based motherboards for £40 to £50 which were pretty much at the low end of socket 775 anyway and could be used to overclock too. Even with the stock cooler you could get away with a smaller overclock.

Also,the E4300 came out in early 2007 and the E5000 series in 2008.
    Am i missing something here? Any (AFAIK) P67 board will let you take a 'K' chip up to x50 something or another. Lets say £250 (CPU&MB) for a possibility of near 5GHz isn't too bad IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Tractor View Post
    On a 1055t@4.0ghz compared to stock crunching world community grid help conquer cancer between 30/40mins per wu

I would argue that the MSI P55-GD65 that your running only got made to it spec because of overclocking and the enthusiasts that needed that particular type of board. Furthermore there has always been great boards for the budget minded overclocker...
    See above about K chips and P67 boards. Also, i wouldn't personally qualify 'crunching' as realistic/ daily usage usage.

Good quality components can be carried over from various builds my corsair hx620 has been through countless and is still in my main rig today over and will be 4 yrs old in april this year.
    And your point is what, exactly? You wouldn't plan on going for a decent speed with crap RAM, PSU and so on hence your HX620.

I never see it as free, I see it as a skill and a shared knowledge with fellow overclockers to ring out the best performance that ones budget allows
    Erm, maybe they can go AM3/+ and read some stuff on Wikipedia instead?

cheers
    No problem, you had a somewhat riveting tale yourself, chap.

Quote Originally Posted by Domestic_Ginger View Post
    You can't say they gaurantee any overclock at all. The only gaurantee is you get an unlocked multi.
    Turbo Boost?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    I have highly overclockable parts. In my main rig at the moment, a Q9550 with a TRUE. It can easily do 3.4GHz, and at a push 3.6GHz, up from standard 2.83GHz.

However, I run them at stock. Why? Because it's a huge pain in the neck. The number of PC components I've bust over the years, the instability, the heat, the noise - I just cannot be bothered.

And in truth, it's largely fast enough as it stands. It's pretty rare that I'm playing a game that's CPU limited, and even if it is, it will always be CPU limited - like Football Manager for instance. So for the sake of each progress snap taking an extra 10 seconds or so, I'll wait it out and just buy a new CPU in a while if I really need to.

<snip>
    If it easily hits 3.4 then why not set it to 3.2? it WILL improve performance to some extent & is not likely to heat up too much (assuming no V increase to hit that speed) or die any earlier - ok maybe 6months off the life but by that time we'll be sitting with 10Ghx octo-core CPUs - you get what I mean

I've never had trouble unless I REALLY pushed something which is why I'm sitting at a comfortable 10% overclock right now, to me it's madness to NOT do it if you easily/safely can

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

In short - not worth the effort. If I was looking at the other end of the market, then I would probably take it much more seriously, trying to get the best I can for £50, but when my budget for my CPU was £200 it's really not the same issue it was.
    Like I said so many times before on Hexus if you have an expensive CPU it should perform well at stock. OTH, being able to modify a cheaper CPU to get much higher performance is the whole point of overclocking or unlocking a CPU.

As for the matter as a whole, I think it's typical abuse of position by Intel. With a bit of luck, AMD can exploit the gap to some extent, providing the only good quality cheap overclockable parts. In the long run however, I'm positive that Intel will be the winners, because they always are.
    Yep. Hopefully AMD will be more competitive in the £100 to £200 market too this year but Intel can spend more R&D anyway. OTH,even if AMD did come up with another revolutionary architecture Intel could still use their clout to force a win.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 04-01-2011 at 05:06 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information