Thread: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition price drop ?

Banned
    Thanks

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition price drop ?

I now have the FX ATI Radeon HD 5850 thanks to cats recommendation ( just seemed too good a bargain ) so I was look at cpus again and specifically the phenom 2 which seems to have more upgrades and variations than any other cpu ive seen .

Any way i saw some reviews thatwere recommending this except i see what appears to be far better valued versions such as this on amazon . http://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-Phenom-1...7708742&sr=8-2

What bothers me though is why , is because of this Bulldozer thats due to come out soon or is it because there is some limitation about this version of phenom 2 not so great ?

Are these new features like is this turbo core thing any good , i mean is it worth the difference in price ?

sorry for all the questions but it just gets so damm confusing , at times when you keep reading one thing, and think you have an idea of what you want only to see about 20 variations of it all promising a bit more for a bit more..

I dont mind paying bit more if its worth- esp for energy purposes but not if its just some gimmick.

ugh

melon

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition price drop ?

What CPU,motherboard and PSU do you have ATM??

Bulldozer is being released in the next two to three and Llano in the next week or so. Llano is based on the Athlon II X4 and Phenom II X4 and it could end up having higher IPC.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

The amazon price is about the same as the price on Scan - and yes, this is partly to do with Bulldozer coming soon, and also partly to do with how good Intel's new i5 2500 and i7 2700 are.

If you pair this with one of the new AM3+ 900-series motherboards you'll get a very capable system now (about the equivalent of an i7 920 in multithreaded tasks), and you'll be ready to upgrade to Bulldozer if it's worth it.

EDIT @CAT: From the OPs other threads they're planning a complete new build, not an upgrade, so they're starting from scratch. I'm not sure waiting for Bulldozer will really be an option for them!

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    The amazon price is about the same as the price on Scan - and yes, this is partly to do with Bulldozer coming soon, and also partly to do with how good Intel's new i5 2500 and i7 2700 are.

If you pair this with one of the new AM3+ 900-series motherboards you'll get a very capable system now (about the equivalent of an i7 920 in multithreaded tasks), and you'll be ready to upgrade to Bulldozer if it's worth it.
    Basically,as stated here either the OP can get a 900 series motherboard with an upgrade path to Bulldoer or an Intel Core i5 2500K based setup.

EDIT @CAT: From the OPs other threads they're planning a complete new build, not an upgrade, so they're starting from scratch. I'm not sure waiting for Bulldozer will really be an option for them!
    Thanks for telling me!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    What CPU,motherboard and PSU do you have ATM??

Bulldozer is being released in the next two to three and Llano in the next week or so. Llano is based on the Athlon II X4 and Phenom II X4 and it could end up having higher IPC.
    None yet - i held off because of all this uncertainty about these " newer releases " everyones waiting on and how that might effect everything else.

I read up on the 5850 and it just seemed hands down the best deal for gpu plus it was sold out everywhere but aria - so i grabbed it quick.

Any idea what the Liano will retail at ?

Ive just been looking at this too http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

: crap , i guess its good you pointed that out then as i was seriously looking at the above.

m
    Last edited by melon; 10-06-2011 at 02:49 PM.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    None yet - i held off because of all this uncertainty about these " newer releases " everyones waiting on and how that might effect everything else.

I read up on the 5850 and it just seemed hands down the best deal for gpu plus it was sold out everywhere but aria - so i grabbed it quick.

Any idea what the Liano will retail at ?

Ive just been looking at this too http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

: crap , i guess its good you pointed that out then as i was seriously looking at the above.

m
    Bulldozer will use socket AM3+ and Llano socket FM1. The AM3+ 990X(8X/8X Crossfire and/or SLI) or the 990FX(16X/16X Crossfire and/or SLI) based motherboards look quite decent for the price.

Scan has already listed a few:

http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-...amd-990x-990fx

Having said that a Core i5 2500k will be a better choice for gaming than a Phenom II X6. OTH,you could get a Phenom II X4 955BE or a Athlon II X3 450 and this should be fine for most modern games ATM.

Banned
    Thanks

Sorry you lost me I thought the 900 seris motherboards were bulldozers , at least according to this
    http://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/281/900-series.html

m

Thanks

it's supposed to support bulldozer and phenom

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Bulldozer will use socket AM3+ and Llano socket FM1. The AM3+ 990X(8X/8X Crossfire and/or SLI) or the 990FX(16X/16X Crossfire and/or SLI) based motherboards look quite decent for the price.

Scan has already listed a few:

http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-...amd-990x-990fx

Having said that a Core i5 2500k will be a better choice for gaming than a Phenom II X6. OTH,you could get a Phenom II X4 955BE or a Athlon II X3 450 and this should be fine for most modern games ATM.
    I think I will wait , If athlon are releasing this then I doubt most current game developers are going to be satisfied with anything below core i5 , meaning anything below will prob be outdated fast .

Im not sure I even used an athlon cpu before, youd think there might be room for someone else - maybe to challange these 2 companies a bit , it would certainly help the consumer get better prices .

m

Thread Information