Thread: alternate CPU cooling

Thanks

alternate CPU cooling

I have a SN45G and I've changed the ice fan to a silenx 14bd version and installed a blowhole at the top of the case with a panaflo 18db fan, but now I'm having major problems with the cpu temps! Barton 2500+ stock runs @ 60 underload! I want to replace the ice system all together as it doesnt seem to be working for me. Can anyone suggest and alternative cooler? I dont mind cutting the bottom of the drive chasis to accommodate the new cpu cooler as I only have one hdd and no floppy disk drive

Thanks all

Thanks
    The ICE cooling should handle that fine. I have the stock cooling on my P4 Shuttle and I see 36 at stock with a 3GHz Northwood at 3460MHz. I only see 52c on load and my processor must be kicking out over 100W.

I'd check the ICE mounting on the CPU.

Thanks
    • streetster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 750 2.67 @ 4.0Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 2x1TB Drives [RAID0]
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2xSapphire HD 4870 512MB CrossFireX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Black Widow
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2311
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 50Mb
    you using a decent thermal compound between the cpu core and the heatsink - ie arctic silver or similar?

Thanks
    Arctic silver 3, and I've checked the ICE mount many times. I can no longer turn the screws on the 4 tightening screws anymore as the thread has gone all the way in is this correct? I have the fan settings on full in the bios. I havent used the shim that came with the shuttle at all.

Thanks
    I reckon it's you fan. It aint powerful enough. I wanted to quieten it all down as well, but went for an S4 noiseblocker. At the least I'd recommend an S3. What's the CFM on the fan you have now?

Thanks
    its 28CFM, but what if I had two of these fans one pushing air out through the ice system from inside of the shuttle and one pulling air out from out side the shuttle?

Thanks
    Simple experiment - Remove the 2 fans you have, and put back the original (Sunon) fan that come with the Shuttle. Use that for a while (even with Smartfan on) and if you see no difference then it's nothing to do with the fans. My bet is that you will see a difference though. It never hurts to use some arctic silver and re-seat the Cooler though.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zixiazhang
    its 28CFM, but what if I had two of these fans one pushing air out through the ice system from inside of the shuttle and one pulling air out from out side the shuttle?
    I think you will end up with pretty bad air flow if you have two 80mm fans in close proximity with different directions. If you really want to run two fans I would have both of them pulling out.

Thanks
    I didnt explain it very well they are both pulling out but on either side of the ice system

Thanks
    So, just to get it clear then, you have 1 fan in the normal place behind the ICE blowing out, and another after the ICE (sucking out)?

If that's they way you have it then you may as well just have 1 fan, as fan 2 will just be pushing out the air that fan 1 has already pushed through the ICE.

Seriously, try the original fan agian and check temps.

Bear in mind that your fan only pushes 28 CFM and the standard Shuttle fan pushes out 42.5CFM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pritsey
    So, just to get it clear then, you have 1 fan in the normal place behind the ICE blowing out, and another after the ICE (sucking out)?

If that's they way you have it then you may as well just have 1 fan, as fan 2 will just be pushing out the air that fan 1 has already pushed through the ICE.

Seriously, try the original fan agian and check temps.

Bear in mind that your fan only pushes 28 CFM and the standard Shuttle fan pushes out 42.5CFM.

yeah thats what I meant 2 say! me english so bad! The reason I changed the fan is because the sunon fan was to loud for my liking, so I got a silenx my cpu temp is now around 50 idle with the two fans but jumped to 63c in prime95 :s I think I might get one more silenx

Thanks
    Did you use speedfan with the Sunon fan?

Thanks
    Not sure what you mean by 'silenx'. I have a Silent X PSU in my Shuttle, is that what you're talking about? Or do you mean that your fan is called a silenx?

Anyway, if you want a performance fan and a less noise then look here .

Noiseblocker S3 sounds like what you're after.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zixiazhang
    Arctic silver 3, and I've checked the ICE mount many times. I can no longer turn the screws on the 4 tightening screws anymore as the thread has gone all the way in is this correct? I have the fan settings on full in the bios. I havent used the shim that came with the shuttle at all.
    Use the shim, it helps.

Thanks
    By silenX he means this bad boy. There are also 60mm, 92mm and 120mm versions.

Also, zixiazhang I would agree that your ICE is not attached properly. Definally use the shim and then tighten the screws by hand, as tightly as you can.

Thread Information