Thread: Tablet, Monitor, idea thing

Thanks

Tablet, Monitor, idea thing

Hi everyone im the new guy here,
    I had a great idea while I was going to work this morning. I have been looking at tablets for weeks and debating what was best, the Moto Xoom looked great till I saw the price and I can't be bothered with an Apple iPad. I was just thinking though; all I really want is a tablet to use at home to lay in bed on a Sunday morning, browse the web and watch the odd movie on the sofa. I have a lovely gaming PC downstairs so why should I need to buy another computer/tablet. So I was wondering, I have seen those wireless monitor kits and I know there are touch screen monitors. Is there such a thing as a wireless touch screen monitor that has a little aerial that I could put in my DVI/HDMI? This would be much cheaper than a tablet, and it would be far more powerful, but it would essencially do exactly the same thing. I have tried VNC and stuff like this but it just isn't good enough. So has anyone every heard of anything like what I have just described?
    Thanks
    Richard.

DDY
    Thanks
    • DDY's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z390M Pro 4
      • CPU:
      • i5 9600k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Adata SX8200 NVME 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 5700
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 550W
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H

Re: Tablet, Monitor, idea thing

The tablet you describe is a "dumb tablet" and it's only as fast as the wireless network it’s connected to, considering the existing consumer technologies for wireless displays (WHDI for example) you can see how impractical sending uncompressed video over wireless can be, a tablet with 5 aerials? I wonder what the power consumption would be like! The only practical way to use another machine remotely in this scenario would be through compression (e.g. what VNC does over LAN), but this requires some sort of processor; exactly like the tablets on the market today.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Re: Tablet, Monitor, idea thing

There'll be plenty of lower-cost Android-based tablets on the market soon which will be fine for lying in bed, browsing the web and checking emails. Or, you could try and pick up an old Windows Tablet cheap: there's a couple of models becoming popular at the minute, the HP TC 1100 and an RM thing (someone on Hexus just got one) that are both generally available on ebay - they tend to have rather low battery life but since you want to use it in bed rather than on the move that shouldn't matter!

Thread Information