Thread: IS this any good?

Thanks

IS this any good?

Hi All,

Have been looking around for components for a new Gaming machine and wondered if you could have a look at my suggestions to see if i have made any schoolboy errors with choosing parts. i am wanting the PC to last as long as possible with the possibilty of overclocking it to make it perform that much longer.

have a look and i welcome any comments / suggestions

Samsung SH-S223C/RSMS, 22x DVD±R, 8x DVD±DL, DVD+RW x8/-RW x6, x12 RAM, SATA, Retail
    1TB Western Digital WD10EARS Caviar Green, SATA 3Gb/s, 5400+rpm, 64MB Cache, 8ms
    Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced Dominator, Black, Mid Tower Case w/o PSU
    60GB OCZ Technology Vertex 2E, 2.5" Sandforce SSD, MLC-Flash, Read 285MB/s, Write 275MB
    Corsair Hydro Series H70 High-performance CPU Cooler, LGA775/1155/1156/1366, AM2/AM3+
    700W Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold, Modular, 80 PLUS Gold, 90% Eff', SLI/CrossFire, EPS12V, 135mm Fan
    1280MB EVGA GTX 570, 40nm, 3800MHz GDDR5, GPU 732MHz, Shader 1464MHz, 480 Cores, DL-DVI/mHDMI
    Intel Core i7 2600K Unlocked, 1155, Sandy Bridge, Qd Core, 3.4 GHz, GPU 850Mhz, 8MB Cache, 95W, OEM
    6GB (3x2GB) Corsair Vengeance, DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600) Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.50V
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev3, Intel P67, S1155, PCI-E 2.0 x16, DDR3 2200(OC), SATA 6Gb/s, SATA RAID

Thanks

I'm Very Important
    Thanks
    • Domestic_Ginger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X2 550
      • Memory:
      • 4GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • F3 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 550vx
      • Case:
      • NZXT beta evo
      • Operating System:
      • W7
      • Monitor(s):
      • G2222HDL

Re: IS this any good?

Looks very nice.

Does the mobo use dual channel ram; if so perhaps 4 or 8gb would be better.

The HDD is a 5400rpm version so perhaps a bit slower than a 7200 one. Not really upto date but the F3s were the rage last year.

If you want to save some pounds post the prices if youo are prepared to shop around and people may help to find cheaper bits. Not sure how hot these chips get but a decent air cooler may be cheaper. IIRC you need 1.5V or lower ram.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Quote Originally Posted by VF12 View Post
    1TB Western Digital WD10EARS Caviar Green, SATA 3Gb/s, 5400+rpm, 64MB Cache, 8ms
    hiya

the reason to buy the EARS 5400 drives is that they're slower turning, slightly lower power use and may, possibly, last a tad longer than 7200 rpm drives.

But as dries get cheaper by the week.. I'd get a Western Digital 1tb 7200 rpm blue drive.. will be a tad faster, wil use a tiny amount more power.. tiny.. and wil prolly last as long.

Either way.... in 18 months.. buy a new, larger drive and copy stuff across

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

PSU is really overpowered, unless you're intending to put an extra couple of graphics cards in there in the immediate future :/

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

Yes the samsung F3 1tb hard drive is a far better bet http://www.scan.co.uk/products/ss1tb...-89-ms-ncq-oem

as has been said the Caviar Green drives are low power but slower, they are ok of data storage but with the F3 being cheaper and better I'd go for that every time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Domestic_Ginger View Post
    Looks very nice.

Does the mobo use dual channel ram; if so perhaps 4 or 8gb would be better.

The HDD is a 5400rpm version so perhaps a bit slower than a 7200 one. Not really upto date but the F3s were the rage last year.

If you want to save some pounds post the prices if youo are prepared to shop around and people may help to find cheaper bits. Not sure how hot these chips get but a decent air cooler may be cheaper. IIRC you need 1.5V or lower ram.
    Yeah i take your point, didnt think i needed a quick drive as the boot drive would be the SSD, but for a minimal increase in cost and power i think i might go with the 7200prm drive.

Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    PSU is really overpowered, unless you're intending to put an extra couple of graphics cards in there in the immediate future :/
    Yeah i think the PSU and CPU Cooler are a little oversized but i will probably add another card further down the line and also OC the cpu, would rather spend a little more now and do without the agro of changing it over later.

With regards to the Memory, is there any massive benefit to having 8gb over 4gb? i know i choose 6gb which is the middle ground, could i save a few pounds and just go with 4gb? and add another 4 at a later date?

I have shopped around for the parts and found that Scan are cheaper on half the bits, the other half i will probably get from a branch of a know etailer which is near me.

Thanks

Thanks
    • gordon861's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F
      • CPU:
      • i7-8700k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX2070
      • Operating System:
      • Win7-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3x Benq 2760

If the board uses dual channel would go for 8GB on a new high end PC without question, and get the memory as 2x 4GB so that you have 2 slots free to add more if needed.

From TomsHardware http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rade,2778.html

Conclusion and Recommendation

Based on our measurements and impressions (and taking falling prices into account), we thoroughly recommend a minimum RAM size of 8 GB. Using 12 or 16 GB only makes sense if you're planning on using 4 GB of more of this higher amount as a RAM disk, helping accelerate the reading and writing of temporary files. This applies equally to file compression, video encoding, and heavy image editing.

Other than this, you might want more RAM so the graphics card can allocate more system memory for its own use. We saw this pay dividends in GTA IV, for example. You won't see an overwhelming performance increase unless you're using very memory-hungry programs, but you will get a system with enough RAM for the foreseeable future.

Given our observations and low prices on memory upgrades, this is the time to hunt down a high-capacity memory kit for your system. In the end, it’s never wrong to make a step knowing that it will improve performance and provide some reserves.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by VF12 View Post
    Yeah i think the PSU and CPU Cooler are a little oversized but i will probably add another card further down the line and also OC the cpu, would rather spend a little more now and do without the agro of changing it over later.
    Fair enough, but even then 700W is over the top. 600W would be more than enough.

Thread Information