Thread: 2.4C or 2.8E - Is it worth it?

Thanks

2.4C or 2.8E - Is it worth it?

Hi all,

I currently have a 2.4C @ 260 fsb, is it worth me upgrading to a 2.8E and will I be guaranteed to get 250+fsb (as I have DDR500).
    Any opinions welcome.
    Oh reason for upgrade, my bro has offered me £100 for my 2.4C and a 2.8E is only £130........
    C2Q6600 @ 3.15GHz
    ThermalTake MiniType90
    EVGA 680SLI
    4GB OCZ Reaper 1066MHz @ 1000 4,4,4,15
    EVGA 8800GTX 768MB
    Raptor 150GB
    NEC ND4550 16x16 DVD±RW
    Coolermaster 850W x3 12V
    Antec P180

Custom built by $aunder$

Thanks
    I wouldn't get a Prescott. Get a 2.8C if you must upgrade, the Prescott really is a duffer IMO.

Rich :¬)

wibble
    Thanks
    I changed a 2.8c for a 2.8e a couple of weeks ago, and mine is great, it does 250mhz fsb @ default volts (3.5Ghz) I've heard quite a few people with similar overclocks, but watercooling/phase change is required if you're really gonna push it .
    They do run warm, mine is 56c full load, and I have quite decent air cooling (4 case fans and an aerocool dp102 h/s with 2x 36cfm fans on it) I don't think I'd run one on a stock cooler
    My main reason for changing was due to the 1mb cache and seti crunching, I get through 3 wu's a day more with a prescott than a Northwood did at the same overclock.

Its up to you, personally I'd go for the Prescott, but if you do expect cpu temp to be approx 10C higher than the equivalent Northy
    Last edited by skattrd; 24-05-2004 at 08:17 PM.

Crazy foreigner
    Thanks
    Prescott scares me, I would perfer to go for a northwood if I would get an Intel... I guess you don't want to change platform aswell?

Changing a 2.4 for a 2.8 in your case isn't a bad idea, but northwood or prescott, you'll have to choose yourself. Both have pros/cons...
    Light travels faster than sound. Is this why some people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skattrd
    My main reason for changing was due to the 1mb cache and seti crunching, I get through 3 wu's a day more with a prescott than a Northwood did at the same overclock.
    Yeah, I guess if the applications you use most run better on a Prescott then upgrade. There aren't that many though, Seti is the exception to the general rule.

Thanks
    Are there any plans in the immediate future to utilize the Prescott's 1mb cache in games etc, or take advantage of its SSE3?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by madwelshboy
    Are there any plans in the immediate future to utilize the Prescott's 1mb cache in games etc
    A lot of games will already take advantage of it, but the performance gain is generally offset by the Prescott's immensely long pipeline.

or take advantage of its SSE3?
    That will probably take a while longer, although I read somehwere that SSE3 is mostly made up of instructions from AMD's 3DNow.... I've no idea if that's true, but if it is perhaps games that are written to take advantage of 3DNow could use SSE3 already?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rave
    That will probably take a while longer, although I read somehwere that SSE3 is mostly made up of instructions from AMD's 3DNow.... I've no idea if that's true, but if it is perhaps games that are written to take advantage of 3DNow could use SSE3 already?

I dont think SSE3 has anything to do with 3dnow. But it does have some ops similar to AMD's 64 bit extensions. Which would have let Intel keep up on certain apps by using SSE3 instead of x86-64.

Thanks
    Hm, I wouldn't go for Prescott..like someone above said, if you really want to upgrade you should upgrade to 2.8C! Which isn't such a bad idea.
    Love, Peace and Linux

Thread Information