Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skii finally joins the 21st century

Crazy foreigner
    Thanks
    I have mine at 223 mostly... around 2680MHz Vapo cooled 1700+. But I'd say the mobo isn't a overclocker, a DFI could handle 240 with my setup I recon.
    Light travels faster than sound. Is this why some people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkMjolk
    Skii - my advice is DFI.
    Dodgy, I've got 1 - if you can get it running really well it will fly but there are a lot of problems with them & some appear to be hardware.
    ABIT NF7-S V2.0 may not do as high fsb for everyone but realistically it is as fast & more stable.

ABIT should have a new NF2 board using the 400Gb chipset June/July & I haven't seen anything saying that DFI are going to make 1.

Crazy foreigner
    Thanks
    BUFF - thanks for the info.. I haven't ever read anything about instability on DFIs? Sure it isn't just your specific mobo being a ******?

NF7-S is a good mobo... better than the A7N8X when it comes to overclocking.

Anyways, I'd still go with DFI if I got a new board, I think they're really neat
    Light travels faster than sound. Is this why some people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Thanks
    Erm... isnt the whole point that its an unlocked XP2500 so you dont have to overclock the mobo

Thanks
    Should get 2.2 easy with moderate cooling on that baby, 2.3 with decent air (£30) good luck
    Knight 1: We are now no longer the Knights who say Ni.
    Knight 2: NI.
    Other Knights: Shh...
    Knight 1: We are now the Knights who say..."Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm.

Crazy foreigner
    Thanks
    turkster - you always want the highest possible stable FSB, even if you have a unlocked CPU... gives you more bandwidth, and better memory speeds (if you have the mem on a 1:1 ratio).

A high FSB is always good

Thanks
    Yeah i know that but seeing as there was talk of mobos being unstable at higher FSBs then the whole advantage of an unlocked CPU is that you can still push the CPU to its limits while keeping the FSB at 200.

Thanks
    BUFF - thanks for the info.. I haven't ever read anything about instability on DFIs? Sure it isn't just your specific mobo being a ******?
    Nope, it's well known (even DFI support acknowledge that they have known problems).
    If you go & have a trawl through the DFI forum at amdmb.com you will see that there are several recurrent problems:

The cold boot/warm boot problem (where it basically doesn't)
    Poor SATA implementation (20% less performance than on an NF7-S, A7N8X deLuxe etc.)
    Poorly attached ZIF sockets
    Very poor vcore regulation (also it looks like DFI use a part rated by the mfr to 1.85V & factory voltmodded it to 2.0V but not very successfully)
    BIOS corruption
    Last official BIOS was November 2003 & doesn't work very well for a no. of people. There are a no. of Alpha & Beta BIOS available but they are unwarrantied & if the board dies with a Beta Bios = no RMA.
    components right beside the hs mounting holes - quite a lot have been killed fitting bolt-through hs/water cooling.

Btw, that forum up until about a week ago was the "official " DFI forum with DFI support personnell but they didn't have full Admin privileges & couldn't delete the complaints which were legion
    So now they have started their own where they can delete.

Crazy foreigner
    Thanks
    turkster - That's another way of seeing it I perfer maximum performance mostly really, but still want good stability, even though I do not believe a workstation needs to be 100% Prime95 stable...

BUFF - I see... guess I was to eager to see benchmarks with that mobo so I didn't see it's issues... I guess sticking with my A7N8X Dlx isn't a too bad idea until I move on to S939 then. The SATA issue is something I wanna avoid, I'm using two 36GB Raptors, don't want them to perform less than optimal, wouldn't be any fun

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BUFF
    Nope, it's well known (even DFI support acknowledge that they have known problems).
    If you go & have a trawl through the DFI forum at amdmb.com you will see that there are several recurrent problems:

The cold boot/warm boot problem (where it basically doesn't)
    Poor SATA implementation (20% less performance than on an NF7-S, A7N8X deLuxe etc.)
    Poorly attached ZIF sockets
    Very poor vcore regulation (also it looks like DFI use a part rated by the mfr to 1.85V & factory voltmodded it to 2.0V but not very successfully)
    BIOS corruption
    Last official BIOS was November 2003 & doesn't work very well for a no. of people. There are a no. of Alpha & Beta BIOS available but they are unwarrantied & if the board dies with a Beta Bios = no RMA.
    components right beside the hs mounting holes - quite a lot have been killed fitting bolt-through hs/water cooling.
    Does anyone make fully working mobos these days. It amazes me that nearly every mobo out there has some problems. This is merely annoying for us tech conscious people but what happens to those people who havent a clue what to do when something doesnt work/goes wrong

Crazy foreigner
    Thanks
    There are too many unfinished products out... that's true. But I wouldn't say it's that bad. Most motherboards still work good without issues. Though the problems with products being released too early extends further then just to motherboards, it includes software and many other consumer electronics aswell. When it comes to computers it is more obvious though, since the technology is pushed so close to it's limit, small problems in development will swithly lead to big issues with the product...

It isn't the way I'd like it to be, but living in a world of capitalism, it is something you must learn to live with. Profit is what counts, delivering a flawed product fast is often better from an economical point of view than holding it back until you've really finished...

Thanks
    It isn't the way I'd like it to be, but living in a world of capitalism, it is something you must learn to live with. Profit is what counts, delivering a flawed product fast is often better from an economical point of view than holding it back until you've really finished...

Take windows XP for example....
    Signatures are stupid

Crazy foreigner
    Thanks
    or 2000... over one fix / day for over three years, that must be some kind of record.

XTR
    Va-va-vooom
    Thanks
    nice camera

welcome to the fast lane!

*Disclaimer* - The contents of this message are not necessarily my own opinions,thoughts or views... they may belong to the voices in my head!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information