Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AQXEA Barton 2500+

Thanks
    I could get my old AQXEA stable at just about 2.3 but cos of this crappy HyperX couldn't get it over 210FSB.
    The moral of the story is buy Corsair
    Knight 1: We are now no longer the Knights who say Ni.
    Knight 2: NI.
    Other Knights: Shh...
    Knight 1: We are now the Knights who say..."Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Aren't the kt600 AGP/PCI busses locked anyway? I don't understand what the ballyhoo about overclocking the FSB is. Kt600 boards overclock FSB's decently, and it really isn't a big deal if things don't work out- you just bump your fsb back down. It seems a little paranoid not to fiddle with it at all.

Thanks
    Not had a KT600 so I couldn't say, I presumed from Turksters answers that they weren't locked as there wouldn't seem to be any other explanation.
    Knight 1: We are now the Knights who say..."Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm.

Registered+
    Thanks
    I belive they are locked, according to a legion hardware review.

Thanks
    Yeah I think they are locked in KT 600 boards. At the same time I do have problems with my soundcard if I push the FSB anything over 205Mhz. I presume it cant be an actual PCI problem but it is nearly certainly something with the mobo. The RAM can handle it and the CPU can handle it so I presume the mobo is having trouble.

Anyway I am not saying one shouldnt push the FSB beyond 200mhz its just it wouldnt be the first thing I would do. Get it up to 3200+ speeds with the FSB at 200 and if that is stable then try pushing the multiplier higher if that works then try pushing the FSB up. Thats the way I would do it.

KDH
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies, very insightful.

Currently having niggardly problems, dont know if its the mobo, hdd, soundcard or a combination of them.

Problem 1:
    PC randomly locks up after heavy use(by that I mean after playing raven shield online for 45-60mins, plus browsing for a few hours).

I *think* it is soundcard related, but how could the soundcard lock the whole pc up and mean I have to turn power off at the PSU?

Problem 2:
    After a cold start, it reads ram,cpu,drives fine, goes to next screen and I get a black screen with a slowly blinking underscore( _ ), does nothing.
    Reboot, and it ALWAYS boots to windows fine.
    Thinking its a hdd(although never have any other problems with them) or a mobo problem.

System:
    2*512mb geil pc 433 golden dragon
    athlon 2500(not overclocked)
    soundblaster audigy 2 ZS
    KT6 Delta-FIS2R
    Sapphire radeon 9800(non pro) 128mb(not overclocked)
    80gb maxtor
    120gb samsung
    460w enermax PSU
    TT xaser III case.

Onboard sound disabled of course.

Any ideas?(have postponed getting a stable overclock until I work out these problems)

KDH
    Thanks
    Update, left my PC running the GTR demo while I went to eat dinner.

Came back to a high pitched whine coming from the speakers, pc had locked up.

Turn off the PSU, and there is an audible THUMP from the speakers, as windows boots up, another THUMP(probably when initialising the sound card) and windows locks up again after soundcard loads.

Thanks
    I guess the simple way to figure it out is to take out the Audigy and try the onboard sound. I'm guessing it'll be fine if it's the soundcard thats borked and if thats the case then there is the option of RMA.

KDH
    Thanks
    Problem is it doesnt happen that regularly, sometimes it can be a week, sometimes 2 hours

KDH
    Thanks

Just ran prime95 for 2 hours, this was what mbm5 reported at the end.

[edit] **** just realised it didnt screenshot mbm's voltage reports...
    was
    1.67v vcore
    3.31v +3.3
    5.03v +5
    12.04v +12
    11.94v +12
    5.3 +5

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by turkster
    My point is why take the risk. If he gets his FSB to 400 then thats good. By pushing it beyond that you are overclocking not just the CPU but the motherboard aswell. I notice that your sig shows that you are running only a 200/400mhz FSB on an NF7 s. Nforce mobos are generally considerably better for overclocking than KT 600s so why expect him to get much faster with a KT 600.

I can run my KT 600 mobo with FSB of up to 210. For just a little gain in memory bandwidth and CPU Mhz I was putting both the CPU and motherboard under pressure. I was getting little problems with my sound card which did not show up in benchmarking 3dmark etc. So i dropped back to 200FSB and at least had the peace of mind that my motherboard was not overclocked. IMO the performance difference was minimal anyway.
    Yes it's usually good advice to take the PC as far as it will go and find out where it begins to get unstable then knock it back a tad for piece of mind and allow a little headroom for those hotter summer days - I always found 200FSB to be absolutely rock-solid on NF2's.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KDH
    Thanks for the replies, very insightful.

Currently having niggardly problems, dont know if its the mobo, hdd, soundcard or a combination of them.

Problem 1:
    PC randomly locks up after heavy use(by that I mean after playing raven shield online for 45-60mins, plus browsing for a few hours).

I *think* it is soundcard related, but how could the soundcard lock the whole pc up and mean I have to turn power off at the PSU?

Problem 2:
    After a cold start, it reads ram,cpu,drives fine, goes to next screen and I get a black screen with a slowly blinking underscore( _ ), does nothing.
    Reboot, and it ALWAYS boots to windows fine.
    Thinking its a hdd(although never have any other problems with them) or a mobo problem.

System:
    2*512mb geil pc 433 golden dragon
    athlon 2500(not overclocked)
    soundblaster audigy 2 ZS
    KT6 Delta-FIS2R
    Sapphire radeon 9800(non pro) 128mb(not overclocked)
    80gb maxtor
    120gb samsung
    460w enermax PSU
    TT xaser III case.

Onboard sound disabled of course.

Any ideas?(have postponed getting a stable overclock until I work out these problems)
    Sounds like it could be memory - set the timings to something less aggressive and if that doesn't fix it ... try taking one of the DIMMs out and running with half the memory to see if it's rock solid with one and not the other.

KDH
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep
    Sounds like it could be memory - set the timings to something less aggressive and if that doesn't fix it ... try taking one of the DIMMs out and running with half the memory to see if it's rock solid with one and not the other.
    thanks ill try that

Thread Information