Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Dell Laptops

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Just over the hill
    Posts
    585
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    4 times in 3 posts
    • shamus21's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigaByte GA-Z68AP-D3
      • CPU:
      • 2500k @ 4.8
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Timings 9-9-9-24
      • Storage:
      • 60GB Vertex 3 SSD Boot - Samsung 256GB 830 SSD GameFile & 1TB WD1002FAEX Caviar Black BackUp
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 580
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Infinity 720W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Armour Super Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64 bit Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 wfp
      • Internet:
      • Crap

    Dell Laptops

    I see on dells website that you can get a lappy with a wide screen 15.4 that has a resolution up to 1920x1200 (WUXGA) is that right i have not seen 19" tft go higher then 1600x1200.

    Inspirion range model 8600c

  2. #2
    Cable Guy Jonny M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Loughborough Uni
    Posts
    4,263
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    4 times in 1 post
    Makes sense, laptop TFTs are always a higher res than their desktop counterparts, but lack the response times or viewing angles which the desktop models enjoy.

  3. #3
    Happy Now?
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cardiff Home | Manchester Uni
    Posts
    1,326
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    That's the output from the rear vga isnt it. Ive got an 8600 (non-c) w/ 9600 pro gfx and a 15.4" screen and its top is 1280x800 pixels. Does gfx card make a diff or is it just down to screen size?
    I dont like sig pics so i turn off sigs Which doesnt help when i dont know what ive written here! DOH!

  4. #4
    Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Preston, Lancs
    Posts
    6,133
    Thanks
    527
    Thanked
    137 times in 98 posts
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    No, 1920x1200 is the resolution of the built-in display - it's as it says; WUXGA - see http://www.free-definition.com/Compu...-standard.html

    When you got yours, you selected Wide XGA, not Wide Ultra XGA
    Last edited by nichomach; 30-05-2004 at 11:21 PM.

  5. #5
    Happy Now?
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cardiff Home | Manchester Uni
    Posts
    1,326
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Ooo..k

    Dunno, new to me, but on a 15.4" screen everything will look weeeeeeeeeeny.
    I dont like sig pics so i turn off sigs Which doesnt help when i dont know what ive written here! DOH!

  6. #6
    Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Preston, Lancs
    Posts
    6,133
    Thanks
    527
    Thanked
    137 times in 98 posts
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    Actually, it's very workable with and extremely good in things like CAD applications; we also have guys who use similar resolutions with big (I mena BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG) project plans.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Just over the hill
    Posts
    585
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    4 times in 3 posts
    • shamus21's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigaByte GA-Z68AP-D3
      • CPU:
      • 2500k @ 4.8
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Timings 9-9-9-24
      • Storage:
      • 60GB Vertex 3 SSD Boot - Samsung 256GB 830 SSD GameFile & 1TB WD1002FAEX Caviar Black BackUp
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 580
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Infinity 720W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Armour Super Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64 bit Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 wfp
      • Internet:
      • Crap
    The only problem that i can see is that if you want to switch down to a lower Res the TFT screen will not be able to give such a good pic and the other problem is the chassis size you will have to get a larger case / bag .

  8. #8
    Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Preston, Lancs
    Posts
    6,133
    Thanks
    527
    Thanked
    137 times in 98 posts
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    Quote Originally Posted by shamus21
    The only problem that i can see is that if you want to switch down to a lower Res the TFT screen will not be able to give such a good pic and the other problem is the chassis size you will have to get a larger case / bag .
    That's true to a certain extent, but switching the res is a poor way to deal with things anyway; much better to scale the fonts to a size that you want in display props and use large icons if desired. The chassis size is pretty much a given with a widescreen laptop, although they're not completely unmanageable; it can be a problem if portability's a key requirement, but a couple of our guys use similar sized machines and they're OK with them. The majority though use smaller form factors (like the Latitude D600s).

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    325
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    I have the dell 8600 1200x800, and its brilliant, no matter which way u look at it(to some extent) there is no distortion. Great for watching dvd's. It has handled every game Ive thrown at it including far cry with med. settings no aa/af and it gives a constant 30+ fps.
    Signatures are stupid

  10. #10
    Cable Guy Jonny M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Loughborough Uni
    Posts
    4,263
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    4 times in 1 post
    My Acer does 1400x1050, great screen, very sharp.

    Makes my CRT look a mess, need to sort that out now.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Just over the hill
    Posts
    585
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    4 times in 3 posts
    • shamus21's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigaByte GA-Z68AP-D3
      • CPU:
      • 2500k @ 4.8
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Timings 9-9-9-24
      • Storage:
      • 60GB Vertex 3 SSD Boot - Samsung 256GB 830 SSD GameFile & 1TB WD1002FAEX Caviar Black BackUp
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 580
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Infinity 720W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Armour Super Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64 bit Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 wfp
      • Internet:
      • Crap
    Quote Originally Posted by paradidle
    I have the dell 8600 1200x800, and its brilliant, no matter which way u look at it(to some extent) there is no distortion. Great for watching dvd's. It has handled every game Ive thrown at it including far cry with med. settings no aa/af and it gives a constant 30+ fps.
    Hi paradidle
    What Type of graphics do have in the box, also what do you think to the case some reports possible warping if left in the car boot on hot days and do Dell do a good job on putting it together. Thanks

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    323
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post
    I have the WXGA+ on my Inspiron 8600 (for sale shortly) im not sure I would a higher resolution than that. I have heard people complain icons and text appear far too small

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    325
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shamus21
    Hi paradidle
    What Type of graphics do have in the box, also what do you think to the case some reports possible warping if left in the car boot on hot days and do Dell do a good job on putting it together. Thanks
    I have the M10 (9600 pro turbo 128mb) with the 1.7m, 512 ram (2700) and 60 gig HD. The only problem I had with my laptop was that I recieved it with a faulty cd/dvd rom. So within 5 days they had picked it up, fixed it and had it delivered back. I gave them 10/10 for customer service.

    I have no problems with the screen. It ws the 1200x800. And one would be stupid if they left it in a car boot on a hot day

    Its one of the quickest machines I have seen that boots up to windows. I think its 14 seconds and the windows screen appears! lol

    Appart from the faulty cd rom, delll have done a great job putting it together. Its pretty thin and light for whats in the thing. Not to mention one of the fastest gaming portables on the market. (I think) unless ur willing to spend £1500+ for a XPS.

    I managed to stick the Omega drivers into it along with the displays from Dell's official drivers. I overclocked it slightly to get these scores:

    3080 - 3dmark03
    9808 - 3dmark01
    Signatures are stupid

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Just over the hill
    Posts
    585
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    4 times in 3 posts
    • shamus21's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigaByte GA-Z68AP-D3
      • CPU:
      • 2500k @ 4.8
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Timings 9-9-9-24
      • Storage:
      • 60GB Vertex 3 SSD Boot - Samsung 256GB 830 SSD GameFile & 1TB WD1002FAEX Caviar Black BackUp
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 580
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Infinity 720W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Armour Super Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64 bit Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 wfp
      • Internet:
      • Crap
    Quote Originally Posted by paradidle
    I have the M10 (9600 pro turbo 128mb) with the 1.7m, 512 ram (2700) and 60 gig HD. The only problem I had with my laptop was that I recieved it with a faulty cd/dvd rom. So within 5 days they had picked it up, fixed it and had it delivered back. I gave them 10/10 for customer service.

    I have no problems with the screen. It ws the 1200x800. And one would be stupid if they left it in a car boot on a hot day

    Its one of the quickest machines I have seen that boots up to windows. I think its 14 seconds and the windows screen appears! lol

    Appart from the faulty cd rom, delll have done a great job putting it together. Its pretty thin and light for whats in the thing. Not to mention one of the fastest gaming portables on the market. (I think) unless ur willing to spend £1500+ for a XPS.

    I managed to stick the Omega drivers into it along with the displays from Dell's official drivers. I overclocked it slightly to get these scores:

    3080 - 3dmark03
    9808 - 3dmark01
    Thanks for the info paraididle. (The Car boot is sometimes the only safe place for a lappy.)

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    325
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    np's
    Signatures are stupid

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Re: ?Hot? 3Ghz Dell Inspiron 5150 Laptops for $450.
    By Craig in forum Retail Therapy and Bargains
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18-04-2004, 05:25 PM
  2. Laptops (Who Makes Their Own?)
    By Jonny M in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-01-2004, 10:42 AM
  3. How to silence a noisy Dell?
    By shredisn@tdead in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 17-11-2003, 09:51 AM
  4. Dude, you got a dell...
    By Nox in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-11-2003, 07:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •