Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Macbook on its way out... replace with Asus Transformer?

  1. #1
    Oh Crumbs.... Biscuit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    11,192
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    1,091 times in 833 posts
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

    Macbook on its way out... replace with Asus Transformer?

    My old Macbook is really starting to give in, I have gone through numerous batteries and chargers but now that I have to start paying for them (apple care has run out) I'm pretty sure I have reached my threshold for how much I can spend on an out of date laptop.

    My requirements have also changed quite a lot since I got the Macbook, back then I used to do photo/audio/video editing and it was quite a useful tool. Since then I don't really have time for that and my laptop is basically just used to stream stuff from my media server while I'm in my bedroom or in the kitchen and to browse the web/chat to my friends. Its also quite often used when I go up to see my friends or my parents just to keep me attached to the world however it doesn't fare so well here as its quite big, heavy and the battery life is poor.

    For a while I was considering getting an AMD E350 based netbook but none of the available ones have really blown me away.

    Another option I have considered is giving up on having a PC based device altogether and switch to what The Animus quite appropriately calls a 'fondle pad'.
    I do not want an iPad as:
    1. I don't like the OS, I think its limiting
    2. Overall my experience with my Macbook was disappointing
    3. I don't want to give Steve Jobs any more cash
    4. I'm used android, I like it and I know which apps to use to accomplish what I need (in the most part)

    Or I could go for standard laptop, although if I did I would expect a discreet graphics card (or Llano).

    Basic requirements are:
    6-8 hours min battery life
    Good quality screen
    Lightweight
    13.3" screen maximum 10.1" minimum
    Has to have a keyboard
    Play 720p MKV (diceplayer does this on android)
    Fairly slim and stylish
    Price - will go up to 1k if necessary but would like to keep it down around £400-500 really

    So what you guys think, do you think I could handle moving to a transformer or do you have some laptop suggestions that will change my mind?

  2. #2
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: Macbook on its way out... replace with Asus Transformer?

    Hp probook 5330m
    but it doesn't have an optical drive

  3. #3
    Bows out! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hopefully somewhere less backstabby
    Posts
    28,789
    Thanks
    3,203
    Thanked
    4,456 times in 3,442 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: Macbook on its way out... replace with Asus Transformer?

    There is a second generation version of the Eee Transformer being released this year AFAIK.


    Those despicable Elk,stealing the pond weed!

  4. Received thanks from:

    Biscuit (02-09-2011)

  5. #4
    Oh Crumbs.... Biscuit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    11,192
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    1,091 times in 833 posts
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

    Re: Macbook on its way out... replace with Asus Transformer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    Hp probook 5330m
    but it doesn't have an optical drive
    Intel integrated graphics

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    There is a second generation version of the Eee Transformer being released this year AFAIK.
    Interesting, i havent read anything about that. Done a quick google and it seems Q4 is how long i will have to wait... hmmmm

    It's supposed to be the first tablet with Kal El so thats a pretty good call!

  6. #5
    Bows out! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hopefully somewhere less backstabby
    Posts
    28,789
    Thanks
    3,203
    Thanked
    4,456 times in 3,442 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: Macbook on its way out... replace with Asus Transformer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    Interesting, i havent read anything about that. Has there been any leaks of press releases i can read about?
    http://www.mobilemag.com/2011/08/19/...ore-processor/


    Those despicable Elk,stealing the pond weed!

  7. #6
    Oh Crumbs.... Biscuit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    11,192
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    1,091 times in 833 posts
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

    Re: Macbook on its way out... replace with Asus Transformer?

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Haha i did a ninja edit (where i realized im actually not too lazy to use google)... but you where too fast for me

  8. #7
    Bows out! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hopefully somewhere less backstabby
    Posts
    28,789
    Thanks
    3,203
    Thanked
    4,456 times in 3,442 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: Macbook on its way out... replace with Asus Transformer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    Haha i did a ninja edit (where i realized im actually not too lazy to use google)... but you where too fast for me
    Moose-fu skills!!


    Those despicable Elk,stealing the pond weed!

  9. #8
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Jhang,Punjab
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: Macbook on its way out... replace with Asus Transformer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    My old Macbook is really starting to give in, I have gone through numerous batteries and chargers but now that I have to start paying for them (apple care has run out) I'm pretty sure I have reached my threshold for how much I can spend on an out of date laptop.

    My requirements have also changed quite a lot since I got the Macbook, back then I used to do photo/audio/video editing and it was quite a useful tool. Since then I don't really have time for that and my laptop is basically just used to stream stuff from my media server while I'm in my bedroom or in the kitchen and to browse the web/chat to my friends. Its also quite often used when I go up to see my friends or my parents just to keep me attached to the world however it doesn't fare so well here as its quite big, heavy and the battery life is poor.

    For a while I was considering getting an AMD E350 based netbook but none of the available ones have really blown me away.

    Another option I have considered is giving up on having a PC based device altogether and switch to what The Animus quite appropriately calls a 'fondle pad'.
    I do not want an iPad as:
    1. I don't like the OS, I think its limiting
    2. Overall my experience with my Macbook was disappointing
    3. I don't want to give Steve Jobs any more cash
    4. I'm used android, I like it and I know which apps to use to accomplish what I need (in the most part)

    Or I could go for standard laptop, although if I did I would expect a discreet graphics card (or Llano).

    Basic requirements are:
    6-8 hours min battery life
    Good quality screen
    Lightweight
    13.3" screen maximum 10.1" minimum
    Has to have a keyboard
    Play 720p MKV (diceplayer does this on android)
    Fairly slim and stylish
    Price - will go up to 1k if necessary but would like to keep it down around £400-500 really

    So what you guys think, do you think I could handle moving to a transformer or do you have some laptop suggestions that will change my mind?

    The Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101 is that product. With its detachable keyboard and trackpad dock, it's a powerful Android tablet while on the move, and a functional Android-powered netbook when you're sitting at a desk............!

  10. #9
    Oh Crumbs.... Biscuit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    11,192
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    1,091 times in 833 posts
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

    Re: Macbook on its way out... replace with Asus Transformer?

    Quote Originally Posted by aonali6 View Post
    The Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101 is that product. With its detachable keyboard and trackpad dock, it's a powerful Android tablet while on the move, and a functional Android-powered netbook when you're sitting at a desk............!
    Indeed, definitely think il wait for the Kal-El model though, first quadcore tablet and it will have even better battery life like the dual core. Just hope i dont have to wait too long

    Im still open to suggestions though if anyone knows of any products out at the moment which might better fit my needs. I love the look of these new ultra books which are coming out, same its intel plugging them and not AMD. Would love to see a Llano notebook in that style.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Asus T3-p5g965
    By Acidmax in forum SCAN.care@HEXUS
    Replies: 170
    Last Post: 28-03-2011, 10:39 AM
  2. Asus Motherboard 2 Year Warranty Question
    By Clunk in forum SCAN.care@HEXUS
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-08-2008, 01:32 PM
  3. Motherboard to replace Asus P5KC
    By nick_h in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 30-06-2008, 07:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •