Thanks

Aggghhhh Noise.......

Hi All

I have the following:-

Shuttle XPC Spacewalker SB65G2 Serial
    Intel P4 3.2Ghz
    OCZ 512Mb
    Radeon 9100 (Fanless)

The only problem I have with this machine is its consistent whine, its driving me up the wall. What can I change the CPU fan and the PSU to, to make this unit silent or as near to it as possible. It also runs like an oven, so having this on saves on heating bills in the room aswell...

Regards

Djbell

Thanks
    I use Ys-tech slient 80mm fan in my SB75g2 but I run it at full speed all the time, I am about to replace the northbridge fan with a 40mm adda fan so that should shut it up a bit more

Thanks
    Have you tried using speedfan i don't know if it will work with that shuttle although the chances are it will. http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php slow the ICE and northbridge fan down.

The whine is probably your psu fan.

Thanks
    Ok check this out, buy 2 Silenx 14bB fans 80mm of course and then replace the one in the ice system with one and then cut off the mesh grill from the back of the case that covers the ice radiator and mount the other fan on the other side and have both of the sucking air out, I'm running barton 2500 @ 3200 and its 46c idle and 55c load in prime 95 and its damn quiet too alot better then when my speedfan used to kick in on the sunon, I have them both running off the mboard and turned off speed fan and just set them both to full. Another thing I did was replace the psu fan with a adda fan from http://www.ultim8pc.co.uk/index.asp?...products&idd=4 and it was alot quieter then the stock one.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zixiazhang
    Ok check this out, buy 2 Silenx 14bB fans 80mm of course and then replace the one in the ice system with one and then cut off the mesh grill from the back of the case that covers the ice radiator and mount the other fan on the other side and have both of the sucking air out, I'm running barton 2500 @ 3200 and its 46c idle and 55c load in prime 95 and its damn quiet too alot better then when my speedfan used to kick in on the sunon, I have them both running off the mboard and turned off speed fan and just set them both to full. Another thing I did was replace the psu fan with a adda fan from http://www.ultim8pc.co.uk/index.asp?...products&idd=4 and it was alot quieter then the stock one.
    The quietness of your fans is not going to last, as putting 2 fans together like you mentioned is going to wear out the bearings on the 'inner' fan rapidly.

Thanks
    Proplus: ... whys that? Is it because it is going over its recommened rpm due to the fact that the outer fan it pulling air through it and making it spin faster? If this is true should I lower the rpms of the inner fan to compensate?

Thanks
    Simple put: yes.

Thanks
    I'd recommend an Noiseblocker S4 for the ICE cooler, will offer much reduced noise & similar temps to stock.
    Then use the Adda XPCPSUFAN for the PSU.

Then use the Moomi 14.5dba fan for the Northbridge.

You'll then have a mucho quieter system.

Hope this helps

Nigel

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Proplus
    The quietness of your fans is not going to last, as putting 2 fans together like you mentioned is going to wear out the bearings on the 'inner' fan rapidly.
    completely untrue im afraid..... we use fans made in a push pull configuration.... all it does is increase the fans ability to deal with static pressure, therefore increasing the airflow to a certian extent. Fan manufacturers recommend using this config if static pressure is high, why would they do that if it will wear the fan bearings out?.... one thing to note is the 2 fans must be matched... ie the same fan, possibly even connected to the same header (as long as the current doesnt fry the header) this is also commonly used in servers too.

Thread Information