Thread: Good recording sound card?

Spider pig, spider pig
    Thanks

Good recording sound card?

Not too expensive, but Im looking for a soundcard to record music direct from guitar, keyboard, mic etc..probably not too many instruments at once needed... any suggestions?

Rob
    Thanks
    Dont know if this is what you looking for. Somebody recommended this to me as I want to do the same eventually. Sorry no clue on price. *edit* Next time he's at work I'll find some more cos he records himself.

Haven't checked it out yet as I still gotta build system first Let us know how ya get on though mate if ya can.
    Last edited by Rob; 02-06-2004 at 04:03 PM.

Thanks
    The Terratec DMX 6Fire 24/96 is good if you want front bay I/O.

MAudio products are very good but are bit more expensive for what they do .

Rob
    Thanks
    Sorry mate, got link wrong. He offered me

I could ask what he wanted for it. Both on shifts though so could be while before I see him. (He big manager so don't have his number)

Said it was white which is why I wasn't biting his hand off - Damn you black cases

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ab1385
    Not too expensive, but Im looking for a soundcard to record music direct from guitar, keyboard, mic etc..probably not too many instruments at once needed... any suggestions?
    There's lots of choice, at lots of prices. If 2 channels (i.e. single instrument in stereo) is all you need, then a basic SBLive or equivalent emu10k1-based card) will actually do a good job (and is actually preferred by many musos to the emu10k2 in the Audigy 2). It's line inputs are better quality than any microphone under £100, so I'd suggest you get a decent (i.e. top quality dynamic or cheap capacitor) mic before you spend silly money on a soundcard. Alternatively the Envy 24HT processor is remarkable value and used in most sound cards that advertise 24 bit smapling for under (and a fair bit over) £100.

You'll also need a decent mic amp (cheap second-hand Mackie mixers have great mic amps for the money), and something to record the guitar through - if you have a decent amp AND deaf neighbours, then just mic it up and let rip, else you'll need something like a Line 6 Pod.

If all the above is already sorted, then check out M-Audio and Echo for affordable, pro-quality 24bit 192kHz soundcards. Digital Village (the link above) are pretty good for music gear - at least I'm not aware of anywhere better!
    Last edited by oyster; 03-06-2004 at 12:29 PM.

Thread Information