Thread: DVD's On VIA MII Eden

Marmoset Warrior
    Thanks

DVD's On VIA MII Eden

Just a quick question, would a VIA MII 6000E Eden mainboard (633Mhz Processor) with 256Mb of PC2100 play DVD's ok. I'm probably going to be using a distro of Linux called MoviX2. http://movix.sourceforge.net/
    Cheers

Thanks
    I think it should, yes. I'll check t'internet and get back to you...
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    From this article:

http://www.tech-pc.co.uk/eden.php
    The onboard video provides access to some good resolutions 1024x768 with 16bit colour proved the best blend of quality and performance for the desktop. TV out supports up to 800x600 and again produced an acceptable output with no borders getting in the way of using the full Tv screen. I tested playback performance using Divx version 4, Windows XP media player and WinDVD. Divx was unable to produce watch able playback from either files on the Hard disk or from CD/DVD. Playback was too jerky with many frames being missed. Media player did not perform any better, with the soundtrack several seconds ahead of the video. Only WinDVD was able to play back any watchable movies, playing back a video CD stored on the Hard Drive perfectly. Unfortunately DVD playback was not so good reverting back to missing frames. The on board video which has only 8mb of memory coupled with the low processing power of the CPU just can not cope with movie playback, a real disapointment when Via have provided such an excellent array of video outputs.. I was unable to find any way of sharing any of the the 512mb system memory in the Bios. Quality movie playback will only be provided by adding a decent PCI video card.
    I'm not sure whether that board's graphics has any hardware MPEG decoding on it, in which case, it may have been off if whoever tested it didn't turn it on in WinDVD. However, if it doesn't have any, or it was on during the tests, then it's not promising. I do know that when DVD's first came out, they said a 233 could play DVD's with the assistance of an MPEG deocder card...
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();

Marmoset Warrior
    Thanks
    Hmm, thats a different board though. Its got a 64mb UniChrome intergrated g/c, 6-channel sound and all this and intergrated MPEG2 accelerator. heres the link if you wanna take a look. http://www.viaembedded.com/product/e...herboardId=202
    It's official name is EPIA MII6000E with an Eden/600 processor

Marmoset Warrior
    Thanks
    The Eden processor is fanless so I am ensured silent operation but the C3 is more powerful and as a result needs a little fan on it so it gets noisier (only by a little)
    I'm trying to build a system that is silent unlike my other machine which I use to watch DVD's on which sounds like a hurricane. Kinda spoils the atmosphere.
    I wouldn't mine getting a C3 processor if it means I get more power but i'd prefer it fanless

Thanks
    Hmmmm that'd probably do a better job. Try and find a review for it.

If you can't, then why hasn't HEXUS done one, I might ask, lol

If you wanted to get a C3 - couldn't you get a huuuuge heatsink and do away with the need for a fan?
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();

Marmoset Warrior
    Thanks
    Yeah, depends how noisy it is. If it is pretty quiet then I can put up with it, but if it's just like a standard fan then i'd be annoying. Only trouble with a huge heatsink is the lack of space. A mini-itx case (Morex Cubit 2699) it is only 6.5cm tall so most heatsinks are much bigger than that.
    I'll look for a review of the C3 (read on in PC Extreme but it wasnt very detailed.
    If it turns out that its good then i'll get the C3 and all the other kit and see what it turns out like. If it's noisy, away with the fan and bring on a new heatsink.
    Do you reckon 256 would do it or do I need 512?
    Cheers kez

Thanks
    You could always 7V the fan so it's quieter. Dunno if the CPU would be happy with that...
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();

Marmoset Warrior
    Thanks
    Hmm, it's an idea, as you said, CPU might get a bit pissed off, especially in them mini-itx cases because they dont really even have airflow.

Thanks
    get the 1Ghz version and it should handle everything except the highest quality DivX's.
    I built one with this morex case and its pretty quiet, pretty fast too.
    WinXP Home, 256MB of PC2700, 20Gb 2.5 HD, dvd-rom, 1Ghz MI
    Last edited by chrisf6969; 07-06-2004 at 04:21 AM.

Thread Information