Thread: watercooling questions

Thanks

watercooling questions

i recently decided to o/c my 9700np and cpu has been for a while and i was thinking about switching to watercooling due to niose/better performance and i could reuse the wc kit in future setups.
    i had a look on www.over-clock.co.uk as they seem the best place in uk online for w/c type stuff?
    i used the custom wc kit builder thingy and it came to aobut £400 lol, so im not doing that.

im probly getting a second hand wc kit, which has maze2 cpu block. im only concerned about the mounting the cpu block on my nf7-s rev1.1 but ill find another way to mount it if i need to. if i get it ill be adding a gfx and mobo blocks to it sometime sooonish, which i *might* be making myself as i have lots of copper and tools to make them with so if any one has done this before or knows where i can find out about custom wc blocks tell me

ok heres questions:
    [list=1][*]wot sort of water or stuff to add to water do i need to buy? prev owner used brita filter water + a lil bit of fairy liquid, this wouldnt damage/corrode any of the kit would it? i know its more of a risk if it leaked as distilled doesnt conduct?[*]is 600lph pump enuf for cpu gfx and mobo blocks? if its not i suppose i can always buy another pumpm hand have 2, one for mobo and gfx and the better one for cpu[*]does any where sell blocks for r9700np for cooling gpu aswell as the mem?[*]best block for nf7-s northbridge of mobo?[*]my case isnt tooo big, and the rad looks big, would it b ok to have outside the case? [*]cheap relay to turn pump on with pc - not sure if its ac or dc pump[*]also how good is maze2? im going to be running my 1700+ at atleast 2.2ghz+, with 1.8v+, will this give good temps?[*] i have a mini fridge, which uses a 27w tec. could i stick the rad, assiming it fits, inside the minifridge and not get condensation on anything in my case without lots of foam etc...?[/list=1]

also any one knwo if the post office is open on monday (bank holliday)? and/or an alternative to RMSD for the wc stuff if its over 2kg, cos then the price goes up alot (from £7 to £18)
    Last edited by SilentDeath; 22-08-2003 at 05:25 AM.

Thanks
    1. It might be a bit foamy! I use deionised water, but theres no way it stays deionised for very long! You should use an additive like water wetter or purple ice to reduce corrosion and algae growth.

2. 600l/h is very low. I use a Hydor L30 with 1200l/h, for a parrallel setup through three blocks.

3. I've only seen commercial GPU blocks, although there are some nice custom made mem blocks out there.

4. I use a DD z-chipset, in a parrallel setup, it can be a bit flow-restrictive.

5. Yes, I use an external rad (It's about 4'x2'). Just plan the connections/holes to the case well!

6. The pump will be AC. There are several different relays sold at http://over-clock.co.uk (Great WC store with good service! See feedback on stores here: http://www.romulus2.com/feedback/chart.php?1)

7. DD blocks I have seen are well made, but the maze 2 is a little old now.

8. Since the Tec on the fridge is only 27W theres no way it will move 60-70W from the CPU, let alone the other bits as well.. The fridge may help chill the water already cooled by the radiator, but I think it would be more hassle that it's worth.

You could use parcelfarce or first class recorded postage.

Thanks
    Anyone fancy doing an FAQ about OCing (ATI) cards?

I've got a Sapphire 9500Pro - can I get (much) more out of it?!?!

Thanks
    thanks TeePee, ill order the ww and some other stuff in a min.
    u said 600l/h is very low? this is what the ehim pump pushes which seems to be most common from lookng at wcoolers sigs :/
    how much do Hydor L30 cost? if flow rate is too low could i jut get another 600l/h pump and run them both? one for cpu and the other for gfx and mobo
    how much heat do u think the maze2 could remove? im not sure how much my cpu makes but its probly over 70-80w
    i want to try making my own gfx and mobo blocks, but i dont know here i can get copper from, which is what id make them out of. ive got 2x 8" of 1/2"id peices of copper pipe, used in house mains, i think it could be used for mem blocks
    the tec idea i dont think is a good one, id need a much larger tec to change the water temp i think, and i cba to put insulation from condensation around cpu so best i stay away from tecs i think.

shredisn@tdead ive read alot of info about r9x00 clocking, if u start a thread ill try answer ur quetions/faq. i get 350/626 from a 9700np, core goes higher but gets a little hot so im waiting for my wc stuff to arrive first

Thanks
    also i read that its a good idea to ground the wateer blocks

my nf7-s rev1.1 has a metal circle on the core, is this a good idea to have touching a metal waterblock?? i have non conducting thermal pad which i could use to insulate it if i need to

Thanks
    The Eheim 1048 pushes 600l/h, and would be very suitable for just a CPU block. The Eheim 1250 is better for running GFX and Chipset blocks as well, and pushes 1200l/h. Hydor pumps are cheaper than Eheim and the L30 can be had for about £40. They also tend to be quieter. Using two pumps like that would probably mean using two radiators, I don't know how the flow rates would work out. Personally I'd just use one more powerful pump, it will save a lot of hassle in the long run!

I buy my copper from www.londonmetal.co.uk but you can use www.kellysearch.co.uk to find somewhere near you. Copper is very expensive and fewer places carry it than, say, aluminium, so you may be in for a surprise!

The maze 2 will remove the heat, it will just be a question of how far you can overclock it. I'm afraid I don't know about grounding the waterblocks. Mine works without!

Thanks
    thanks
    ill have a look for a better pump
    i had a look at london metal but it doesnt have prices, how much would u think copper would cost for making a waterblock, and do u know which type of copper would i need?
    the maze2, and my rad are copper, i think - not recived them yet, ive read i shouldnt mix metals in watercooling because of corrosion, so i shouldnt use alu?

Thanks
    I don't really know about the copper bar, best bet would be to ask arond a few places and see if they have any off-cuts for a few quid. I bought a sheet for about a ton. Mixing metals causes more corrosion, but many radiators are alu, so it can't be that bad.

Thread Information