Thread: My pc performance...

Thanks

My pc performance...

I've just got myself a nice little radeon 9700 (says its a pro on my pc though...). I'm a little...maybe quite abit, dissapointed in the perfomance i have been getting. my system specs are in my sig. i also have a "Asus A7A266-E" motherboard.

3dmark2001 score : 9590

3dmark2003 score : 3896

my friend has a geforce 4 ti 4400, at time of testing, with 512 ddr and a athlon xp 2000+, he managed to score almost 11,000! how does that work eh? he also had a MSI motherboard with 4agp...but i *think* it supports 333fsb.

Anyway, he then later got a new MSI board from ebuyer, 8xagp and 333fsb, along with a xp 2600+ and hes saying how the "8x" agp "utllized" his graphics card. (i get the empression he don't no rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbish, he hardly uses his pc, he says, and he spends all this money on it).

but what i don't understand is, my radeon 9700 pro should be urinating on his test marks, or at least avoiding lag in most games...

Demos i have tested (havent got many games at the moment) all on 1024x768 with 32bit colour and no anti anazling or anything.

quake 3 arena, full details maximo, ran very well indeed. (not sure about the fps, havent got the console command)

vietcong demo : ran very dirty and sluggish at the start, just like my old geforce 2. hardly any graphical difference?

ut2003 : runs between 40-100, very nice only really lags when someone fires a redeemer, on the outside level, it can get prettty low 30 ish, when theres a medium amount of action going on. the scaleable otpions, some of them only have "normal, low, lower, lowest....i'm sure my friends ti system, games looked alot better? he had more scable options on ut2003 thats for sure. (is it his athlon xp?)

MOHAA singple player demo : well, this looked...hardly ANY different to my geforce 2 expirence? maybe its the demo, but my friends 4400 or athlon xp made it sure looked better....and i'm sure its not ment to jerk like that....

I'm making out its running really badly...well...its not...but not what i expected from a 9700 pro to be honest...but i think its down to the rest of my system.

i have a amd athlon, 1.4ghz, the last in the thunderbird range. its got 266fsb, max my motherboard supports. same for the ram, 512 ddr pc2100. Is it that thats causing slow down?

i have a asus 266-e motherboard, without a bios update, its max cpu is the one i have. it supports 2 gb of ddr 266 ram.
    its got a 4x agp slot.

i have a soundblaster live soundcard, which has some issues with xp, it said when instlaling its software. is it this that *could* be draining system resources?

I have 2 options...

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=43354

Purchase the above athlon xp, and do a bios flash update or whatever it is...

or

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=43223

get that motherboard, put my current kit onto it, then when i have the funds, add a 2800xp and a 2x 256 ddr 2700. (i was thinking it would be best to do so once the athlon 64s are out?)

Well, if any of you actually read this, i'll be happy, and any help is much appriciated
    Last edited by WoLFe; 22-08-2003 at 01:38 PM.

In a place called VERTIGO CrapshoT's Avatar
    Thanks
    i have the asus a7n8x rev 1.04 mobo and it excellent ive had no problems with it anyway and as you know i also have the rad 9700 mod look at my sig for my specs i score 15,700s
    you will see a good boost if you get the a7n8x and the 2800xp
    but i wouldnt know which way to go first tho m8 pity you cant get both together try picking up them of the for sale forums or get the mobo and buy a 1700xp jiuhb and o/c it they all rerach 2 gig anyway im waiting for the arrival of a 2500xp barton so when that arrives my own 1700xp will be up for sale for £35 inc
    i think most people would advise you to get a nf7-s rev 2 mobo
    and a 1700xp jiuhb anyway this represents value
    Farts are like children.....You always love you're Own.!!!
    Wise Men learn from Other people's mistake's...Fool's learn from their OWN.!!!

Thanks
    Originally posted by CrapshoT
    i have the asus a7n8x rev 1.04 mobo and it excellent ive had no problems with it anyway and as you know i also have the rad 9700 mod look at my sig for my specs i score 15,700s
    you will see a good boost if you get the a7n8x and the 2800xp
    but i wouldnt know which way to go first tho m8 pity you cant get both together try picking up them of the for sale forums or get the mobo and buy a 1700xp jiuhb and o/c it they all rerach 2 gig anyway im waiting for the arrival of a 2500xp barton so when that arrives my own 1700xp will be up for sale for £35 inc
    i think most people would advise you to get a nf7-s rev 2 mobo
    and a 1700xp jiuhb anyway this represents value
    Thanx, but my main concern is it the 266 fsb and pc2100 ddr thats bottlenecking? because something is. all i want to know is what, and no overclocking

Thanks
    Have you formatted?

I went from an Asus GeForce 3 to a Radeon 9800 pro. I had issues with it until i formatted and then i got a 33% to 50% increase in performance.
    Acer Travelmate 8104WMLi
    P-M 2.0 Ghz
    2Gb DDR533 Corsair RAM
    100Gb 7200rpm Seagtae HD
    128Mb ATi x700 Mobility

Thanks
    Originally posted by St3v3
    Have you formatted?

I went from an Asus GeForce 3 to a Radeon 9800 pro. I had issues with it until i formatted and then i got a 33% to 50% increase in performance.
    I got my radeon 9700 through the post. brother installed it within the case properly. once we got into windows we installed it completly wrongly (wasn't my fault, it came with NO instructions). i was getting blue screens of death....it wouln't boot up. did a "quick format" and reinstalled windows xp pro, and installed the card with the catalist 3.6 drivers....it didnt come with anything else...i thought most cards come with speaial retail drivers? anyway, it works, but not as well as i had hoped... which is explained above...

Thanks
    the catalist drivers are the ATI drivers

maybe try using the OMEGA drivers

aside from that ive seen a lot of peeps underperforming with the 9700np/pro due t minor conflicts... its identifying them thats hard... you should be getting 1500/4000 quite easily

Thanks
    Originally posted by Axion
    the catalist drivers are the ATI drivers

maybe try using the OMEGA drivers

aside from that ive seen a lot of peeps underperforming with the 9700np/pro due t minor conflicts... its identifying them thats hard... you should be getting 1500/4000 quite easily
    I'm on the omega drivers, theres a slight improvement on unreal 2003, but i'm not sure what the conflict is.... bootup is quick, but once i put my password into windows its VERY slow...

Thanks
    im not the guy to ask... im good at "what hardware to buy..." but not at "why the f**k isnt this working?"

Thanks
    Sorry...its just quite frustrating...you must understand...

anyway, i've discovered something else...

when i right click, properites, settings tab, then display...i have

1. Plug and Play monitor on RADEON 9700 PRO (Omega 2.474a)
    2. Plug and play monitor on RADEON 9700 PRO - Secondary (omega 2.474a)

the secondary has more scaleable options on the screen resolution..alot more...any ideas what this "secondary" thing is all about?

also, when u click advanced button (in the settings tab) it only has one "ati" tab. one called "clock rate" which the other one don't have....it says its called "radlinker" i think it came with the omega drivers?

*note* its very simular to nvidia's coolbits...i don't want to overclock though...
    Last edited by WoLFe; 22-08-2003 at 05:50 PM.

In a place called VERTIGO CrapshoT's Avatar
    Thanks
    i think the secodary output is for when you use a second monitor or tv someone correct me on this -please
    Farts are like children.....You always love you're Own.!!!
    Wise Men learn from Other people's mistake's...Fool's learn from their OWN.!!!

Thanks
    could consider getting an NFS-7 v2.0 with, since dual channel for amd has no real effect, one 512mb stick of pc3200, and a 1700+ from Cpucity (out of stock atm)

that'll cost around £200.

the single stick will allow a greater o/c since dual channel stresses ram

Thanks
    Thanx, but what about this asus motherboard? (i deff want a asus). with a 2600+ 33mhz

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=43223

I'll purchase ram and cpu later, since my current ddr and athlon would be ok for a short while...

Thanks
    Why do you want the Asus? The Abit is better, so why? And you do realise that if you get the 2600+ you will need ddr333 ram, dont you?

Ravens Nest
    Originally posted by WoLFe
    Sorry...its just quite frustrating...you must understand...

anyway, i've discovered something else...

when i right click, properites, settings tab, then display...i have

1. Plug and Play monitor on RADEON 9700 PRO (Omega 2.474a)
    2. Plug and play monitor on RADEON 9700 PRO - Secondary (omega 2.474a)

the secondary has more scaleable options on the screen resolution..alot more...any ideas what this "secondary" thing is all about?

also, when u click advanced button (in the settings tab) it only has one "ati" tab. one called "clock rate" which the other one don't have....it says its called "radlinker" i think it came with the omega drivers?

*note* its very simular to nvidia's coolbits...i don't want to overclock though...
    Did you get the dongle to plug a second monitor into your radeon? if so try your monitor on the secondary port instead.
    The secondary port is for 2nd monitor or TFT i think

Yeah radlinker gets installed with the omega drivers, and also can be installed separatly..

Heres a guide on what it does.
    http://www28.brinkster.com/chrisww1942/faq.htm

Thanks
    Your RAM(mobo) and CPU are both weak. Personally, I would get like and XP1700, crank the FSB up a little bit & then turn up the multiplier shoot for something like 145 FSB (if you ram will take it) at a 15 mulitplier = 2175Mhz = $50 upgrade

Keep your mobo & ram to see how things pan out over the next 3-4 months with Prescott & Athlon64.

My P4 rig gets me 15,200 3D2001 marks, but 3dMark2003 I'd probably get like 1500 (I havent even bothered downloading it)

Thanks
    Can anyone link me to the abit mobos? also, its just my brother is used to asus...he recommended them to me...

Thread Information