Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instablility

Marmoset Warrior
    Thanks

Instablility

Sorry to bother you lot again with another overclocking thread but I decided a couple of days ago that I would try my hand at a bit of overclocking. Over the past couple of days I have managed to (slowly albeit) get my 2.8 upto 3.06GHz (145 x 21) and it seemed to run fine on UT2004, Far Cry and Il2.
    This afternoon I clocked it further to 147 FSB and I was testing it seemed to crash my games. I was playing UT'04 and after about 20 minutes of Double Domination my machine just reset for no reason as the next level was loading and Windows then informed me that my system had just recovered from a serious error. I then went to play Far Cry and after about another 15 minutes my machine crashed to desktop mid-game. This has never happened before.
    I checked my temps when it crashed Far Cry and the CPU was only 33 Degrees.
    I was using the standard 1.5v for CPU with my FSB at 147MHz. Think I need to put a bit more juice through it?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    I think that first of all you should try putting the voltage up a bit. If that doesn't work, try running a stability testing program such as Prime95 for a bit (couple of hours) to check it is the CPU causing the problem.
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Thanks
    You don't mention what speed the RAM is.
    The reboot of the computer is generally caused by a crappy power supply but I vote for using Prime95 as well
    Knight 1: We are now no longer the Knights who say Ni.
    Knight 2: NI.
    Other Knights: Shh...
    Knight 1: We are now the Knights who say..."Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm.

Thanks
    I'd definitely give it a tad more juice especially considering the temps you are reporting.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenPiggy
    The reboot of the computer is generally caused by a crappy power supply
    That was my first thought, but I thought Tagans were pretty good?
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Marmoset Warrior
    Thanks
    Yeah, I don't think it is the Tagan, its pretty new and it hasn't had any instability. I clocked back after I last posted and it ran fine with no reboots. Just given it 1.55 volts (from 1.50) and it seemed to run in IL2 fine.
    The ram I got is running in sync with my processor at 147 MHz (at the moment) It came with my old prebuilt system *shudders* so im not sure what speed it is. Timings are 2.5,3,3,6, is that any good, well for unbranded stuff?

Thanks
    Cpuz should tell you what speed your ram is. It looks like its pc2100 the same as mine. Ive managed to get mine to 2-2-2-6

Marmoset Warrior
    Thanks
    Its PC2700, just saw it on CPU-Z

Thanks
    Is this branded PC2700 we are talking about or generic (i.e. http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=6494)

PC2700 is meant to run at 333mhz, that is 166fsb. You are currently running it at 145fsb which is 290mhz. Therefore it should not be giving you any problems unless it is crap RAM. Run www.memtest86.com and see if that reports any errors. Try at 145/146/147 with a variety of timings.

Dont know very much about P4's. Is it possible to get ones that dont clock very well? And also is it A,B,C - i assume 2.8ghz's only come in the "C" flavour i.e. 800fsb (4x200fsb.) If it is a C then that shouldnt be the problem.

That either leaves motherboard or PSU. See if you can find any people overclocking your motherboard.

hhm...im not entirely sure any of that is very relivent or appropriate. But i hope it is helpfull in some way.

Good luck solving your problem.
    Will.
    | XP1600-m | ASUS AN78X Deluxe | r9700 pro | 2x512mb pc37000 |

wibble
    Thanks
    With a 21x multi its a "B" chip (133fsb)

I agree with whats been said before - she needs more powah captn - you should be pretty safe upto 1.6v if temps are ok.

Marmoset Warrior
    Thanks
    Yeah, we are talking about Generic ram I think. I got my last pre-built system from Watford Electronics so they must have used own brand stuff.
    Not really sure what my 2.80GHz is, it doesn't support Hyper Threading so I presume it must be an A or B. The stock settings for it at 133Mhz FSB and 21.0 Multiplier.
    The whole intel thing is very confusus!
    I'll get back to you tomorrow once i've run Prime95, tested some more on FC and UT04.
    Cheers for the help guys

Marmoset Warrior
    Thanks
    It just rebooted again, but I wasn't in a game, I was using MSN. I had my CPU up to 147Mhz FSB and 21 Multiplier at 1.55v. Think I need to put the voltage a big more, when to set to 1.55 in bios it shows up as 1.520 in CPU-Z. I only have a few voltage options, Auto (1.50v i presume) 1.550, 1.575, 1.600 and 1,650 I think. I'm afraid of frying it if I up the voltage though (sorry, im a n00b to overcloking) so what do you think I should put it to?
    Cheers

wibble
    Thanks
    With p4 ocing you are generally quite safe upto 1.6-1.65v, keep a close eye on temps. and the lower the voltage is the better (as long as its 100% stable).

Personally though I'd say if you don't feel comfortable doing it, then don't do it, be happy with the o/c you had.

Marmoset Warrior
    Thanks
    Cheers skattrd, i'll keep that in mind. I didn't really know the safe voltages thats why i was afraid of upping the voltage.
    Also, I ran Prime95 when I was at 3.08 and the within the first minute it gave me a fatal error, i sped up my fans etc and then tried it again and after 12 minutes it gave me a fatal error. Im guessing that's unstable then?

wibble
    Thanks
    Prime95 crashing is a definite sign of instability, you should really be able to run it for a couple of hours without crashing

Marmoset Warrior
    Thanks
    hmmm, upping voltage would sort that? (it was set around 1.5) Temps hang around 40 degrees when running Prime95

Thread Information