Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: jiuhb dlt3c xp1700,where can i buy 1?

Banned
    Thanks
    I did a quick search but couldn't find out myself, so what's your system setup at the mo Axion?

To get the most out of an XP1700+ you certainly want voltage control but basically you either need a mobo which can do 400FSB or multiplier adjustment preferably with 333FSB. Many mobos will be limited to 12.5x max multiplier, so at the following supported FSB...

133/266FSB=1.67ghz XP2000+
    144/288FSB=1.80ghz XP2200+ (o/c'ed 266FSB mobo)
    166/333FSB=2.08ghz XP2600+
    180/360FSB=2.25ghz XP3000+ish (o/c'ed 333FSB mobo)
    200/400FSB=2.50ghz XP3600+? (default 11x would be fine here)

You are feeling sleepy... acidrainy's Avatar
    Thanks
    In otherwords, get an Abit NF7-S v2.0

Autin... what do you mean by "200/400FSB=2.50ghz XP3600+? (default 11x would be fine here)" surley the 11x would only give you 2.2GHz with the settings you've just mentioned...

My clocking mentality goes:-
    200fsb = good
    how high can I get this multiplier now?

Banned
    Thanks
    Yup 200FSB is good (400FSB with DDR) but that's no good for those who lack a 400FSB capable mobo. I was simply stating what diff mobos could achieve when o/c'ing a TbredB XP1700+ (or XP1800+ etc). Most mobos cannot undertand the 5th FID bit so will be limited to a max multiplier of 12.5x, so you then put that 12.5x maximum multiplier with the various FSB speeds diff mobos will manage.

Some mobos can only do 266FSB but most VIA based ones can easily do 288FSB without PCI/AGP/IDE running too far out of spec, hence the inclusion marked 'o/c'ed 266FSB mobo'. The same can be said for most 333FSB mobos (most particularly VIA) which can do 380FSB without pushing PCI/AGP/IDE too far. At 400FSB you certainly don't need the 12.5x multiplier (so it is not a limitaion if you lack 5th FID support) as 2.5ghz is a lot faster than any sane TbredB/Barton CPU will manage. The standard 11x (of XP1700+) is not limiting there as 11x200=2.2ghz, about the best speed a TbredB/Barton will generally do. So if you couldn't adjust the multiplier (because of your mobo) you should still be fine so long as you can do 400FSB (2x200).

Of course if you FSB o/c a 266FSB or 333FSB mobo you should find the safe maximums to be around 288FSB & 380FSB respectively although there are 2 key factors there. Firstly your PCI devices and AGP card may be more senseitive than others (good examples being SB Live & Radeons) and these may limit your FSB. Secondly your RAM should be set to run 1:1 (ie equal to FSB) and bear in mind PC2100 is only rated to 266mhz while PC2700 is only rated to 333mhz, there should be some lee-way but just rem your RAM could be limiting your FSB o/c too. As said you may have to resort to FSB o/c'ing to reach the full potential of a TbredB/Barton CPU if your mobo limits you to 12.5x max. nForce2 do not use dividers so PCI/AGP/IDE are not factors in FSB o/c'ing but then they should all do 400FSB anyway.

Basically there are a number of factors to consider which play a part in maximising these TbredB/Barton...

* Lack of 5th FID bit support on your mobo may leave you with 12.5x maximum or the multiplier may appear locked on CPUs using 13x+ stock.

* Your mobo's FSB speed may also limit you ... esp if you are limited to 12.5x maximum. Rem IIRC all non nForce2 use divider so keep the PCI no higher than 36.0mhz.

* Your mobo may not have multiplier support (most SiS and even some KT400 lack it). You will then be stuck to the default multiplier so choose wisely.

* Your mobo may not have voltage support or you may be limited if it uses +%. Choose a CPU with 1.60-1.65v default voltage (eg DUT3C TbredB or any Barton).

* Your RAM may not be able to run at the necessary FSB (or o/c'ed FSB) speed. You can use the higher RAM timings in order to run higher mhz with VERY minimal perf loss.

* Your mobo may not even support the 0.13mu Tbreds or Barton CPUs, although that would mean it would surely be pretty old (eg older than KT266A).

You don't need a mobo as fine as the Ait NF7-S v2.0 or any nForce2 Ultra400. The nForce2 400 and std should be mighty fine and support all the important features for o/c'ing. The nF2 400 simply lack Dual Channel DDR ability but that can make it easier to upgrade RAM down the line and only knocks perf by 5%ish so they're still faster than the competitions' offerings. SiS746FX based mobos are good and cheap offering 333FSB but severely lack the critical o/c'ing tools like multiplier adjustment. The SiS748 add 400FSB but still lack o/c'ing tools so pick your CPU wisely as FSB is the only likely way to o/c. The KT400 are much like the SiS746FX but you always get better o/c'ing tools and usually get multiplier support. KT600 add 400FSB. If your current mobo can do 333FSB or your current RAM is PC2700 there shouldn't be much need to upgrade them.

Also rem that for gaming your gfx card plays a MUCH bigger role than your CPU. Ideally the GF4TI4200 should be the least you have and you can get one with 128MB for as little as £75.

Thanks
    yowza long post there!

ive already decided upon complete pc.. except maybe the ram

nf7-s v2 of course
    80gb 8mb maxtor hdd
    my 1800+ JUIHB DL3TC - on its way
    some good pc3200 ram (2x256mb) corsair, twinmos something like that

either an antec trueblue or sparkle psu
    liteon cdrw and dvd drives
    lian li pc61 or 65b case

gfx will be either a 9500/9600/9700/9800 - depends what cash i have and what i can find...
    opbviously 9600 or even a Geforce 4Ti are last resort

im just biding my time - until i pounce

currently im suing my parents *stock* pc... but uni this fall = my own o/c'd beast

Banned
    Thanks
    Nice selection Axion. It should only be £10-15 more for the 120GB model, it could save you some hassle in the long term but 80GB is also mighty fine. PC3200 is definitely best, Corsair is tops but not worth the asking price, much better to go with Crucial, TwinMOS or the ever more popular Adata. Both PSUs are fine, Antec are the Corsair of PSU's but Sparkle are very good and should be much cheaper, 350W+ I take it. TbredB (rem HSF, eg £15 Volc11) are excellent as are LiteOn drives, and rem the gfx card is the most critical component when it comes to gaming so I would suggest a Rad9700 series if you can push it and find a good deal (£150 ErikHK). Still Rad9600/9600PRO and even GF4TI are still VERY worthy cards. Will be one awesome PC ... I bet you can't wait!

Thanks
    That sounds like an impressive system, wish i could get one nice as that. Cheers for the tips all, especially austin, you seem to have masses to write every time

Thanks
    Originally posted by Austin
    Nice selection Axion. It should only be £10-15 more for the 120GB model, it could save you some hassle in the long term but 80GB is also mighty fine. PC3200 is definitely best, Corsair is tops but not worth the asking price, much better to go with Crucial, TwinMOS or the ever more popular Adata. Both PSUs are fine, Antec are the Corsair of PSU's but Sparkle are very good and should be much cheaper, 350W+ I take it. TbredB (rem HSF, eg £15 Volc11) are excellent as are LiteOn drives, and rem the gfx card is the most critical component when it comes to gaming so I would suggest a Rad9700 series if you can push it and find a good deal (£150 ErikHK). Still Rad9600/9600PRO and even GF4TI are still VERY worthy cards. Will be one awesome PC ... I bet you can't wait!
    i know all about the adata ram... in fact ive been telling every single person whose asked what ram to get for a p4 to get it...

...however its not the best for an amd system which cant reach such high fsbs... since the ram CANNOT do low latencies very well... its better getting some twinmos or 2nd hand corsair

im actually half pondering getting a watercooling system... however i know nothing about the hardware involved... i know what to get and how to build it (touch wood) but i dont know whats great and whats not... whats good value/money and what isnt worth the materials its made from

i probabaly will get the 120gb in the end... its just im trying to cut some corners so as to buy my 1760nxbx tft monitor... and maybe watercooling
    Last edited by Axion; 29-08-2003 at 04:46 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information