Thread: What PDA?

Thanks

Question What PDA?

Been thinking of getting a PDA. I need it for taking notes etc on the move. I cant really stretch to a laptop at the moment but I will need the PDA for text input etc. I would probably get a small partable keyboard for it as I may well be putting quite considerable amounts of text into it. I dont know wether anyone has any experience of these or can tell my how well they work?

Anyway the ones I was thinking of were the
    Palm Tungsten E at around £149

HP iPAQ H4150 at around £280

HP iPAQ H2210 at around £270

or possibly the
    Palm Tungsten T3 at around £300

The extra functionality of the more expensive ones is something I ont really need althought the CF card slot on the HP2210 would be useful as I already have a 512MB CF card. I wouldnt really use bluetooth much I dont think. I am inclined to go for the Palm E as it is considerably cheaper.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    I have the 2210, which is nice, but apparently the 4150 is just a real step up in every way. Don't go for palm as the technology is getting old, and you can do lots of cool stuff with a pocket pc!
    Not around too often!

Thanks
    • Flibb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6300
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250G
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3GB MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr
      • PSU:
      • FSP
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Deffl TFT thing
    You can get a 2210 for £225, lots of people getting them for in car satnav. Pricerunner and dealtime turn up some good prices, Dixons have them for £229 not shure if thats in store or not.

Thanks
    Thanks
    Yeah well the 4150 whould attract me because of the WiFi which I am much more likely to use than Bluetooth. The problem is that both the 4150 and 2210 are way more expensive than the Palm E. And as I will need a keyboard and SD card the price will end up being quite considerable. I know the Palm E is older but is a lso a lot cheaper and it seems to do What I want. What kind of cool things can you do with pocket PC menthel?

Thanks
    4150 kicks ass.

I have one and could not live without at it with how hectic my life is currently!

The onboard WiFi sold the deal for me
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"

Rank Bajin
    Thanks
    My dad has a tungsten T3, which is pretty good, but the posh handwriting, Graffitti 2, can be a real pain at times.

How about a Newton? Good HWR, decent keyboard, Wifi, upto 4gb storage, bluetooth and pretty damn good battery life too
    The Caped Crusader :-)

Thanks
    Thanks for the info guys.
    I'm definitely erring in the direction of the HP 4150 at this stage. But How good is the handwriting recognition Shorty?
    Do I really need to get a keyboard because the compatable ones are v expensive

Thanks
    • shamus21's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigaByte GA-Z68AP-D3
      • CPU:
      • 2500k @ 4.8
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Timings 9-9-9-24
      • Storage:
      • 60GB Vertex 3 SSD Boot - Samsung 256GB 830 SSD GameFile & 1TB WD1002FAEX Caviar Black BackUp
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 580
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Infinity 720W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Armour Super Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64 bit Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 wfp
      • Internet:
      • Crap
    i have 4150 and i say it has done everything i have asked. The only problem is battery life if you are going to use it a lot get the extended battery. Also the WiFi is a must these days.

Thanks
    Ok guys against your advice I went and got the Palm Tungsten E. Mainly because it does what I want, I could get it easy here, and its darn good value . Also at that price I had no qualms about a getting a 512MB SD card for it so I can use it as an MP3 player. So far I am pretty impressed. I've never had access to a PDA before and they are pretty cool .

The only problem is that it seems a bit unstable when dealing with the SD card and MP3s (sometimes it locks up and then you have to reinstall Real player to get it to play properly again )but I can get over that.

Thanks for your advice anyway. I may have a bit more money at the end of this month so I might selll the Tungsten E to my brother (he likes it too) and get the Hp 4150 .
    Last edited by turkster; 12-07-2004 at 11:58 AM.

Thanks
    • shamus21's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigaByte GA-Z68AP-D3
      • CPU:
      • 2500k @ 4.8
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Timings 9-9-9-24
      • Storage:
      • 60GB Vertex 3 SSD Boot - Samsung 256GB 830 SSD GameFile & 1TB WD1002FAEX Caviar Black BackUp
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 580
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Infinity 720W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Armour Super Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64 bit Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 wfp
      • Internet:
      • Crap
    Ok guys against your advice I went and got the Palm Tungsten E. Mainly because it does what I want, I could get it easy here, and its darn good value . Also at that price I had no qualms about a getting a 512MB SD card for it so I can use it as an MP3 player. So far I am pretty impressed. I've never had access to a PDA before and they are pretty cool .

The only problem is that it seems a bit unstable when dealing with the SD card and MP3s (sometimes it locks up and then you have to reinstall Real player to get it to play properly again )but I can get over that.

Thanks for your advice anyway. I may have a bit more money at the end of this month so I might selll the Tungsten E to my brother (he likes it too) and get the Hp 4150 .
    turkster don`t tell your brother you are going to get ipaq 4150. As for the 512mb sd i have a kingston 512mb in my ipaq 4150 and i have no problems whats so ever if that is of any help.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Turkster.. dumb real player it is awful, invest in pocket tunes (gives mp3, ogg, wma), the T|E is one of the best value PDAs on the market currently, and Palm are catching up on PPC for multimedia (checkout www.mmplayer.com).

Thanks
    Well that slight instability with the SD card degenerated into a complete inability to read it atall. It was overwriting the data with sh*t and generally being a b****x .

Anyway took it back to Argos and they gave me a replacement straight away .

This one works fine

I found Plucker the html viewing/riping tool is very cool. That MMplayer seems good but it is a bit unstable. I found the beta of Aeroplayer better. It runs fast and uses very little system resources and has some cool skins .

Thanks
    I was looking at the 4150 and the 5550...
    The 4150 being cheaper and less ram but out of the 2 I'd have prolly gone for the 4150 tbh...

Thanks
    Yeah the 4150 seems very nice and good price at the moment. Wifi is nice

Only thing is battery life aint as good as Palms .
    Saying that my Tungsten E seems to last for a very short amount of time in comparison to a MD of Mp3 player etc. There is still a lot of work to be done on the power consumption and battery technology in portable electronics

Thanks
    I've got a 2215 here... rocks my socks off to be honest, came on thursday.... and I've been getting about 2 hours kip a night.

Ripped out the 4gb microdrive in my mp3 player, lobbed it in the cf slot of the ipaq and works a dream, only thing it is lacking is wifi, but that'll be soon resolved with a £70 sdio wifi card which apparantly uses less battery when being used than a 4150 with the wifi on, and the 2210 apparantly has a better power consumption... not sure how true that is mind. Just what i've read elsewhere.

Lovely bit of kit, and glad I chose it instead of the 4150 tbh, the cf slot is a godsend.

Thread Information