Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q-Tec PSU

Thanks

Q-Tec PSU

I know they've been talked about many times before ....

I got a PSU i'd ordered today, didn't have a brand on the advert... but when it arrived it's a Q-Tec 500W Big Fan Silent model as here http://www.casetech.co.uk/product_in...oducts_id/1112 I ordered it because it was a)cheap and b)has a 120mm fan so very quiet.

Now i've heard the stories about Q-Tec PSU's going pop etc. but is this just the older 550W model ? Anyone got/had problems with the 500W version like this one...?

I've installed it as a test and get Rail readings of:
    VCORE: 1.74
    +3.3V: 3.39
    +12V: 12.10
    -12V: -7.92
    -5V: -7.32
    but these readings mean virtually nothing to me
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mock Turtle
    “Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with, and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision."
    System:Atari 2600 CPU:8-bit 6507 (1.19MHz) RAM:128 bytes Colours: 16 (4 on screen) Resolution: 192x160

Thanks
    Have you got a voltmeter as sometimes the voltage readings off a motherboard can be way out. If those readings are true then its fine

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun
    Have you got a voltmeter as sometimes the voltage readings off a motherboard can be way out. If those readings are true then its fine
    Ahhh, will check it in the morning when I can see straight
    “Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with, and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision."
    System:Atari 2600 CPU:8-bit 6507 (1.19MHz) RAM:128 bytes Colours: 16 (4 on screen) Resolution: 192x160

Thanks
    Stay away.
    Its probably *the* most important part of your PC. If it decides to go bang, you better hope it doesnt take everything its connected to with it.
    If you search the forum you'll see plenty of other peoples views. Far too many negitive ones for my liking.
    Is it really worth the risk ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent
    Stay away.
    Its probably *the* most important part of your PC. If it decides to go bang, you better hope it doesnt take everything its connected to with it.
    If you search the forum you'll see plenty of other peoples views. Far too many negitive ones for my liking.
    Was wondering when you would show up

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun
    Was wondering when you would show up
    Hey, im a mod, i read everything

Ste isnt even here yet !
    I suggest you see Stes shocking experience with your own eyes. It may make the decision for you !
    http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=22191

Thanks
    Stay away.
    I've seen the posts about it, and that's why the hesitance, as I trust the views of the people on this board as much (if not more) than any other source.

It's just I can't find anywhere else than Hexus that slates them, surely if they are that bad other people will/would have noticed. I mean the place I bought mine from do discount for 10+,50+,100+ so they must sell a hell of a lot. Doesn't seem to be many people in the posts i've read on here that have actually had one go pop in normal usage (non-overclocked/overloaded) just lots of unfounded sarcastic digs with no backup when anyone says they've got a Q-Tec and it's fine.... sorry if that annoys anyone but just saying what I see....

Thanks
    You're absolutely right - it's not, and i'm going to take it out, but i won't be throwing it away, just putting it in something I care a lot less about, and that isn't on 24/7

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barakka
    You're absolutely right - it's not, and i'm going to take it out, but i won't be throwing it away, just putting it in something I care a lot less about, and that isn't on 24/7
    Well my 450 is running my rig overclocked fine. My bro has a 450 too running a mid/high spec pc for about a year and he hasnt had any problems with it either. I cant fault them atm.

:edit: i forgot to say, both our rigs are on 24/7
    Last edited by Shogun; 04-07-2004 at 07:13 PM.

Thanks
    Q-tecs.. there cheap. They are aimed at web browsing pcs, buget, family pcs, where nothing much matters.

Dont trust them with high value components.

They are not for gaming pcs, they will manage, with a normal one. But if its overclocked, chances of death rise 30%. If **ANY** voltmods are done, expect it to go bang quite quickly.

When they go bang they KILL stuff, not just themselves.

but for a cheap, web browsing pc, where not much power is used, they are perfect (though id prefer my cheap unbranded 350w psu).

Get yourself a decent psu, scan.co.uk has a nice selection (CWT550w's are ok - but not perfect)

Thanks
    Well I've been using my 550watt q-tec for about a year now in my gaming rig, running a 9800 pro, barton 2500 clocked to 3200+ speeds, Corsair 3200xms ram with no problems whatsoever.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeps
    Well I've been using my 550watt q-tec for about a year now in my gaming rig, running a 9800 pro, barton 2500 clocked to 3200+ speeds, Corsair 3200xms ram with no problems whatsoever.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barakka
    I've seen the posts about it, and that's why the hesitance, as I trust the views of the people on this board as much (if not more) than any other source.

It's just I can't find anywhere else than Hexus that slates them, surely if they are that bad other people will/would have noticed. I mean the place I bought mine from do discount for 10+,50+,100+ so they must sell a hell of a lot. Doesn't seem to be many people in the posts i've read on here that have actually had one go pop in normal usage (non-overclocked/overloaded) just lots of unfounded sarcastic digs with no backup when anyone says they've got a Q-Tec and it's fine.... sorry if that annoys anyone but just saying what I see....
    There is a few places where ive seen people compain about the quality of them, not just here. Many people have noticed, they just dont make an issue out of it. Whens the last time you saw somone list their system specs and next to the psu have "not a q-tec" in brackets ?. People generaly dont seem to complain untill somthing go's wrong.

On that note, look at some of the people on this forum. Some have no issues with buying a Q-tec what so ever - why ?, because they probably havnt had a problem with them yet. What do you think their oppinion will be of them if their Q-tec decides to die and take a large part of their system with it ?. Of course, its not going to be very high.

The fact is, these people already exist. Im one of them, along side others on this forum.

Im not saying that people dont have them working fine current in systems (any PSU with a 100% failure rate wouldnt be on the market for long), but these very people often forget that others who have had Q-tec's die on them were in the same place as them.

Not only due to personal experience of one smoking out on me (and im not talking about a little cigarette smoke here), and another dieing and taking half a system out, but the fact that its clear others have had simlar problems should ring alarm bells straight away.

Finaly a little food for thought :

Q-tec "550 watt" PSU at Komplett = £28 (and thats expensive)
    Antec TruePower 550 at Ebuyer = £90

Why do people think the phrase "you get what you pay for" doesnt apply to PSU's ?
    Ill let the figures do the rest of the talking

Agent

Thanks
    My Qtec 550W is running fine on my current system, but all this talk on hexus about them blowing and taking the mobo and other bits with it is frightening me into getting a meridian 450W from scan when I can scrape the cash together. I guess it will be a good buy in the long run.

Title Contender
    Thanks
    The main problem is the cheapo circuitry and component on the Qtec, theres no protection on them unlike the Enermax, Thermaltakes and Antecs etc.... So if they pop so will your system

Now you get the odd one or two people saying that their system is solid as a rock but these people are just on borrowed time trust me

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash
    Now you get the odd one or two people saying that their system is solid as a rock but these people are just on borrowed time trust me
    Stop scaring me

Thread Information