Thread: Gaming Keyboard and Mouse Questions

Thanks

Gaming Keyboard and Mouse Questions

I was on Amazon.com looking at the Logitech gaming mice and keyboards. In particular, this keyboard:
    http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-920-0...=3CXCNQ4RANJ32

And this mouse:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B002J9GDXI

I've never owned a gaming mouse or keyboard before. So I am wondering what the benefits really are in gameplay. Starting off with the mouse, I can't recall what my Microsoft laser mouse DPI is but I'm sure it's nowhere near the 5700 of the Logitech gaming mouse above. How much difference does that really make say when playing a shooter? How does it affect gameplay? Is it easier to aim quickly and accurately? Does it help you to play better? There must be some reason people like them. I'd like to understand how beneficial they are. As for all the extra buttons I don't honestly see myself using them. Do people really find all those buttons on a mouse helpful? What for? What do people activate with them?

On to the Logitech gaming keyboards. The one I linked above I think is their entry level model. I like the backlit keys feature. That is pretty cool. Some of the other stuff seems pretty useless to me personally. The defining feature of this keyboard really seems to be the macro keys. So the question is, what are they good for? I'm trying to imagine what I'd want to macro in a shooter for example. What would I want to macro playing some RPG? What would I want to macro playing World of Warcraft? Once again, people like these a lot for some reason but I am honestly clueless about what specifically it is. So please enlighten the clueless!

Thanks a lot for any feedback on this stuff. I appreciate it.

Synergy leverager
    Thanks
    • Mutley's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP-35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel QX9650 (OC'd to 3.8Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (4x2GB) G.Skill DDR2-1066 8500CL5D
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840EVO 250GB SSD & Samsung HD501LJ 500GB SATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 660
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Infiniti 650W
      • Case:
      • Antec P-182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC 20WGX2
      • Internet:
      • 60MB Cable (Virgin)

Re: Gaming Keyboard and Mouse Questions

I don't know about that keyboard, I have a Saitek Eclipse 2.
    As for mouse I have a Logitech G5, which I love.

TBH, I think alot of the gaming marketing is nonsense. Much like selling cameras with high megapixels and so on. Its simply a way to push basic products at higher prices because of the perceived value of the features or the brand.

Having said that, there are some features on my gaming keyboard I like, such :

- Backlit keys, which I can set to different colours and intensity. I tend to use red for gaming, because it isn't distracting in the dark, but means I can see the keys easily for example.
    - Adjustable wrist-rest. When gaming, I pull out the rest, but not for normal usage.

With respect to the mouse, having lots of buttons and wheels are useful for games, especially if you can programme them or bind macros to them. My G5 also allows you to adjust the DPI on the fly (which I find very useful in FPS's - e.g in BF3, if I play as a sniper, I like to knock down the sensitivity to slow down the mouse movement). And you can adjust the weight and balance. That, frankly, is a joke. But I'm a sucker for things like that. You get a nice little tin box with a range of weights in set in foam. A little tray comes out of the mouse and you can add/remove weights as you wish.

Of course, if you really want an uber mouse, this is what you want:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cyborg-M-M-O...8&sr=8-2-fkmr0

I suspect the price that is shown *might* be an error..

Thanks

I have that mouse.
    It broke after 2 years of abuse... by broke I mean the smoothness was eroded to hell.
    I liked to so much I went and bought the exact same mouse.
    What does that tell you about what I think about it?

As for the keyboard, I have a G11. I used to have a G15... but I traded it with my friend for this one because I preferred the blue LED lights.
    You'll never use the Micro Keys... I have 18 of them and they do sod all for me.

Logitech products are amazing. I highly recommend them.
    I used to have a regular mouse and keyboard... but now I've used Gaming sets... I'd never go back to generic.

Thanks
    • Rookie1986's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3900X
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket NVMe m.2 1TB (PCIe 4)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AsRock Taichi AMD Radeon 5700 XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850i
      • Case:
      • Lian Li o11 Dynamic
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • MSI Optix MPG341QR // Dell Dell S2421H
      • Internet:
      • BT Full Fibre 900

I've had a few different gaming mice and keyboards over the years and you will find that there are some features you use and some you won't. With a mouse anything with a good shape, scroll wheel, 2//3 buttons on the thumb side and resonal DPI would meet my needs, anything with more buttons just gets confusing IMO. I have a Kone+ at present and it's been perfect for me.

When it comes to keyboards the others are right, you can have 100 extra buttons but in most cases you are just going to use the exact same buttons as always so don't get caught out by paying more for features that don't really bring anything to the table. If your a FPS fan you will find yourself looking down at the keyboard and getting fragged while you try to remember the locations of all the extra "useful" keys the manufactures say you need to be the best gamer. The things I normally look for are a good wrist rest, decent backlighting and responsive keys everything else is purely for show IMO.

Thread Information