Thread: please help sort out a SATA/winxp problem?!?!

dgr
    Thanks

please help sort out a SATA/winxp problem?!?!

hello

i've just bought a raptor !

but have a huge problem installing it on the pc in my sig. the 2 ide drives are out of the picutre, both have data including corrupt windows installs on, when the pc is built i will ge tthe data off the them and format.

i also have a 10gb hdd if it helps sort outt his problem

basically, i want to use the raptor as my main drive. installed it in the pc, it posts fine and bios recognises the hard disc, as does the sillicon image chipset.

but then you get to the windows install. windows doesn't find the raptor, only the 2 120gb ides. so i need to install the driver for the SI. sata controller on the mb.

how do you install the driver? donig an F6 allows you to install extra drivers but redmond (being MFing shortsighted bastards [sorry for the langauge but i am so annoyed at this]) only allow you to install drivers off a floppy disc. i have no floppy disc drive.

neither do i have a floppy disc to install the drivers from. the asus MB comes with a cd with 2 folders called disc1 and disc 2, would I simply copy the files from there?

How do i get round this without a floppy disc drive?

dgr
    dothan 745 @ 2.4ghz | 2gb Corsair XMS (2-3-3-6) | dual raptors (raid0) | ATI 9700pro | CM201 | dual lg 1810

Thanks
    Sorry to say this but it looks like you might have to get a floppy in there even if it is just to install the raid drivers.

dgr
    Thanks
    bah!

i hate floppies.

if so, is it simply a matter of copying files from the directories on the asus MB cd?

dgr
    dothan 745 @ 2.4ghz | 2gb Corsair XMS (2-3-3-6) | dual raptors (raid0) | ATI 9700pro | CM201 | dual lg 1810

You are feeling sleepy... acidrainy's Avatar
    Thanks
    I'm not sure for ASUS but for ABIT boards you're best to go download the latest ones from the website... I suppose you could put them on a CD if you have to

Then again you may need a floppy for a CD driver to fun the files from the disk :/
    Might not, I'm not 100% sure

dgr
    Thanks
    well just bought a floppy drive, this is getting ridicolous - i now have 3 hdds, 1 floppy, 2 dvd(r), (soon to be 3). my wiring sucks!

will try it out when i get home

dgr

Thread Information