Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 20

Thread: upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question!

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Castle Gresley
    Posts
    628
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked
    18 times in 18 posts
    • marshalex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T bios 1303
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 12GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840, WD Caviar Black 640Gb, WD Caviar Blue 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD 6950 XXX @915 MHz
      • PSU:
      • Antec TruePower New 650W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster CM690
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell ST2210
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre 38MB

    upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question!

    i've had the rig in my sig for 3 years now and with the release of ivybridge (and the wealth of new features on mobos these days) am considering the following options for upgrading:
    1 - replace the feature lacking p6t i have currently with something like an x58 sabretooth (features like usb and sata 3 are starting to become appealing)
    2 - replace both processor and mobo with a 3570k and "insert decent specced, well priced z77 mobo here"
    3 - none of the above

    i'm looking at adding another ssd to my system for applications, would there be a noticeable difference between sata 2 and 3 in real world usage as thats likely to impact on what i do above.

    answers on a postcard!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Castle Gresley
    Posts
    628
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked
    18 times in 18 posts
    • marshalex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T bios 1303
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 12GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840, WD Caviar Black 640Gb, WD Caviar Blue 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD 6950 XXX @915 MHz
      • PSU:
      • Antec TruePower New 650W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster CM690
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell ST2210
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre 38MB

    Re: upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question!

    Anyone? With the ssd price drops looking at getting something fairly soon!

  3. #3
    Bows out! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hopefully somewhere less backstabby
    Posts
    28,789
    Thanks
    3,203
    Thanked
    4,456 times in 3,442 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question!

    Get an SSD?? The 256GB version of the Crucial M4 can be had for around £180.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Castle Gresley
    Posts
    628
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked
    18 times in 18 posts
    • marshalex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T bios 1303
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 12GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840, WD Caviar Black 640Gb, WD Caviar Blue 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD 6950 XXX @915 MHz
      • PSU:
      • Antec TruePower New 650W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster CM690
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell ST2210
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre 38MB

    Re: upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question!

    Yeah I was going to anyway, just contemplating upgrading the rest of the system too to take advantage of sata 3 etc

  5. #5
    Pork & Beans Powerup Phage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    6,093
    Thanks
    1,519
    Thanked
    578 times in 494 posts
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VI
      • CPU:
      • 1700x @ 3.9
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Corsair LPX
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Seagate SSHD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal R4
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Agon Gsync

    Re: upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question!

    Borderline I'd say. I have a very similar system and decided to get USB 3.0 with one of these.
    http://forums.hexus.net/scan-care-he...-3-0-card.html
    I'll wait it out until I have a real need to upgrade. If it were me I'd stay with your system and get an M4 and a USB card. Save the money for Haswell, or if someone does a special offer.
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Pob255's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The land of Brum
    Posts
    9,945
    Thanks
    572
    Thanked
    1,196 times in 1,099 posts
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • PhenomII x4 955 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 250gb SATA Westerndigital + 500gb samsung +1tb Samsung
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX560ti CuII
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet E9 680w
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 21" ips something

    Re: upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question!

    sata3 is worth it if you want to make the most out of a sata3 ssd although they are still plenty fast on sata2

    Overall you'll see a reduction in speed if you went from your current overclocked i7 to a new unoverclocked i7, but unless your doing something that actually stressing that cpu you'll not see any change.

    you can get a usb3 card if you need it, but if you don't have any usb3 devices it's not of much use.

  7. #7
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    28
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question!

    Get an SSD. Crucial M4 if you want something cheap, otherwise get an Intel 520 or a new Samsung drive.

  8. #8
    Registered+
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts
    • eagle123's system
      • Motherboard:
      • gigabyte ud7 z68 b3
      • CPU:
      • intel 2600k
      • Memory:
      • 8 gb corsair xms 3 1600 mhz
      • Storage:
      • corsair force 3 120gb ssd western digital caviar black 1 tb, samsung spinpoint f3 1tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • xfx 6990
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax850
      • Case:
      • corsair 650d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 7 64 bit professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • asus pa238 ipl led monitor

    Re: upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question!

    why not upgrade to z68 chipset and get a sandybridge 2600k cpu and rest of the components will be ok except for the memory need to be dd3 1600mhz

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    289
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked
    12 times in 12 posts
    • doyll49's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GA-X58A-UD5
      • CPU:
      • I7 980 @ 3.5GHz; PH-TC14PE; 2x TR TY-147 ducted out back
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Ballistix Sport GB (3x4GB)
      • Storage:
      • 2x750GB, 2x1.5TB, 2x2.0TB 1 of each is backu0p
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX DC2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650 v2
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R2; 3x TY-140 all PWM controlled by CPU socket PWM signal
      • Operating System:
      • Win XP Pro... thinking about Win 7

    Re: upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question!

    Your system is still very fast. Get SSD but wait until you need a more powerful system. By then what is available now will be much cheaper

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Wigan
    Posts
    157
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    8 times in 8 posts
    • pooley's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8P67
      • CPU:
      • I7 2600k@4.6
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Kingston HyperX
      • Storage:
      • 250gb ssd x2 Sammy F3's
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HIS HD7950 IceQ
      • PSU:
      • Thermaltake TP 875W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone FT-02W
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Shimian 27"

    Re: upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question!

    Quote Originally Posted by doyll49 View Post
    Your system is still very fast. Get SSD but wait until you need a more powerful system. By then what is available now will be much cheaper
    I agree with this.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    748
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked
    25 times in 25 posts
    • DratUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P877-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • I5 3570K with Antec Kuhler 920
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Corsair Vengance
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb OCZ Vertex 2 Sandforce, 1TB WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit Jetstream 670
      • PSU:
      • Enermax 720
      • Case:
      • Lian Li A10B
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24" 1900x1200
      • Internet:
      • VM 100

    Re: upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question!

    Okay if the money is itching to get outa your pocket then do it. If not hang on for a while. Will Haswell bring new joy to the masses, who can tell. Haswell is judged to be released Q1 2013, if you can wait that long then you could decide at that point. Potentially there could be a price drop on the Ivybridge on release but looking at pricing on the 2500K its not a huge difference on pricing atm.
    I am in the same boat I have an I7 860 and I doubt I will see a massive difference, however my sons PC is now moving at snail pace so the parts from my PC will give him a much needed upgrade.
    SATA 2 to 3 in real world I doubt you would see any difference.
    Space in my skull

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Castle Gresley
    Posts
    628
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked
    18 times in 18 posts
    • marshalex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T bios 1303
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 12GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840, WD Caviar Black 640Gb, WD Caviar Blue 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD 6950 XXX @915 MHz
      • PSU:
      • Antec TruePower New 650W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster CM690
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell ST2210
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre 38MB

    Re: upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question!

    i'll hang fire on the upgrades for now, 2013 is looking like a better time (will have had my rig 4 years by then). just a case of deciding on another ssd for applications. torn between the sandisk extreme or crucial m4. both get good reviews, downside to the sandisk seems to be the controller but does appear to use toggle nand (and is a fair bit cheaper). think the intel ones are currently out of my price range compared to the crucial and the sandisk (and i hear that the m5 may be round the corner from crucial?)

  13. #13
    No-one's Fanboi Thorsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Neverneverland
    Posts
    2,749
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked
    93 times in 92 posts
    • Thorsson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance PC1866
      • Storage:
      • 256M4 SSD; 2Tb 7200RPM Barracuda; 2Tb Linkstation
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX970 SC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2515H
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Optic 30Mb

    Re: upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question!

    Something's always round the corner, but it may be why M4 is relatively reasonable. If M5 comes out it will probably be at a premium.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Castle Gresley
    Posts
    628
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked
    18 times in 18 posts
    • marshalex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T bios 1303
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 12GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840, WD Caviar Black 640Gb, WD Caviar Blue 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD 6950 XXX @915 MHz
      • PSU:
      • Antec TruePower New 650W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster CM690
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell ST2210
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre 38MB

    Re: upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question!

    Good point. Now to decide whether 256 or 128...

  15. #15
    Pork & Beans Powerup Phage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    6,093
    Thanks
    1,519
    Thanked
    578 times in 494 posts
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VI
      • CPU:
      • 1700x @ 3.9
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Corsair LPX
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Seagate SSHD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal R4
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Agon Gsync

    Re: upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question!

    Dabs has the 256gb at £169 with the discount code April10 if it still works.
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    977
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked
    48 times in 39 posts
    • GeorgeStorm's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77IA-E53
      • CPU:
      • i5 3450
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3 1866mhz C10
      • Storage:
      • 256gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX780
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 450W SFX
      • Case:
      • Parvum mitx
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2711 + U2311H

    Re: upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question!

    In the end, does the rig do everything you need/want it to?

    I recently downgraded because I realised I had been upgrading my rig for the sake of it, and I wanted to spend my money on other bits to do with the computer, which improve my interaction, such as keyboard, mouse, speakers, headphones, monitor (what I'm currently thinking of)

    Based on your specs, I would definitely consider a monitor upgrade first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •