Thread: MSI vs ASUS?

Registered+
    Thanks

MSI vs ASUS?

Long time reader First time posting (finally),

I'm currently in the process of trying to upgrade my PC, I was going to go for an AMD 64bit 3500+ but that’s not going to happen thanks to the NHS. So I'm now trying to do it on the cheap by keeping my current CPU P4 2.66 (533 fsb) and changing the motherboard / CPU cooler / memory / hard disk, with the idea of getting a better p4 CPU at a later date.

I've done a fait bit of reading and have come up with 2 motherboards the msi 865PE NEO2-FIS2R and the ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe but the two main places I used for reviews contradict each other, ones says the msi is the fastest and the other says the asus is faster.

Does anyone know which is best / fastest? and if the asus is really worth an extra £12.39? or if there are any better ones for around £60-£80 ?

I've not got around to looking at memory / hard disk / CPU cooler, but any info about which are best on a budget I'd love to hear

Thanks in advance

Title Contender
    Thanks
    The MSI are very good I believe they even come with onboard bluetooth as well as a load of other gizmos, the ASUS in relation maybe the better clocker of the two and you will find more reviews on the net of it.

Thanks
    Get the asus. You won't regret it, especially if you are going to overclock.

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup
    MSI for full whistles & bells.
    Asus for overclockability.
    Both very reliable & good quality manufacturers.
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

Registered+
    Thanks
    Thanks for the speedy responses, I have to admit I’m surprised MSI are supposed to be quality my current motherboard is an MSI (6577) and I’m not a fan, the AGP clip broke, my sound card falls off every ten seconds. Admittedly its a micro-ATX and was from an old HP PC, so does not appear on the MSI web site. So far it sounds like the asus is worth the extra as I do intend to overclock.

I’ve just found another possible motherboard a gigabyte GA-8IK1100 which is at the top end of my maximum, very colourful and a brand I know (The CPU cooler I think I will get is the gigabyte 3d cooler) are these as good?

Thanks
    I had a gigy 8knxp! was the best they had to offer! still sort of is!!!! I now use a Abit IC7 MAX 3... I'd recomend it before you go with the asus or msi... but if not, I'd go with the asus.. The gigy 3d cooler is ok.... but I like the cooler master blowers!

I like this one..

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...128-185&DEPA=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...127-158&depa=0
    Last edited by myth; 20-07-2004 at 02:57 PM.

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup
    The IC7 Max3 is a superb board & a good overclocker. My work PC is running a P4 3.2 @225 fsb on air & std voltages. For reliability, (if that's your bag), u could look at Intel boards. Never had a problem with one.
    [
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

Thanks
    I wouldnt go with the gigabyte 3d cooler. Have read some poor reviews of it. What kinda budget do you have for cooling? I personally would go with a ThermalRight SP-94 with a nice 80-92mm fan on it. They can be had for about 35-40 quid without the fan.

Registered+
    Thanks
    I was hoping to spend around £15, I already have a zalman bracket and a 120mm thermaltake fan which I was hoping to make use of (not sure how with the gigabyte 3d cooloer). My main concern is weight, after a friends 700g heatsink fell off taking his £140 graphics cards with it, the gigabyte seems to be the best out of the ones under the intel 450g limit. Although I was thinking whether I could make some sort of bracket using the rails which my PSU sits on to atleast stop it from falling if not taking some of the weight.

myth, I would love to get the Abit IC7 MAX 3, heard nothing but positives about it but £130 is out of my price range.

Thanks
    Vash if your friend would have mounted the heatsink properly im sure it wouldnt have fallen off. I wouldnt trust anything above 400g on lugs(Im sure your friend is running a AMD rig but feel free to correct me!). Because you are going with p4 it will be alot safer. Also the Sp 97 /94 uses the mounting holes so im can promise you the mobo would come off the mobo tray before the heatsink falls off

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup
    IC7 MAX3 for only £88 from Aria's bargain basement. One left http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=10125
    [

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 0iD
    IC7 MAX3 for only £88 from Aria's bargain basement. One left http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=10125
    Good find!

Registered+
    Thanks
    Your right it was an AMD rig he is AMD MAD and the main reason I was originally moving to the AMD 64bit 3500+. I’ve just had a look at the mounting instructions for the thermalright and it looks very safe did not realise it uses a bracket on the back of the motherboard similar to my HIS 9800 pro ice queen, been a while since I last had a new one.

The ThermalRight SP-94 is alittle too expensive for me I could stretch to the Thermalright ALX800 one is this anygood? Especially if I get the abit IC7 Max3 which 0iD just found, unfortunately I cannot risk spending anything until Thursday (hope its still there), are bargain basements a risk?

I must say the help on this forum is amazing a lot better than the last one I used, thanks again.

edit: just noticed the thermalright alx800 is for socket A
    Last edited by VashUK; 20-07-2004 at 04:49 PM.

Thanks
    Trust me... youll love the abit! And it comes with a sweet "Secure IDE"... Also 6 serial ports! And its very stable... *Warning... Some heat sinks won't work with the abit!!!

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup
    Quote Originally Posted by VashUK
    Your right it was an AMD rig he is AMD MAD and the main reason I was originally moving to the AMD 64bit 3500+. I’ve just had a look at the mounting instructions for the thermalright and it looks very safe did not realise it uses a bracket on the back of the motherboard similar to my HIS 9800 pro ice queen, been a while since I last had a new one.

The ThermalRight SP-94 is alittle too expensive for me I could stretch to the Thermalright ALX800 one is this anygood? Especially if I get the abit IC7 Max3 which 0iD just found, unfortunately I cannot risk spending anything until Thursday (hope its still there), are bargain basements a risk?

I must say the help on this forum is amazing a lot better than the last one I used, thanks again.

edit: just noticed the thermalright alx800 is for socket A
    Review here ALX800
    [

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VashUK

Try posting in the wanted forums here if you dont mind buying a second hand one. Bargin basements are usually fine and you always can return it if anything goes wrong.
    The ALX800 doesn't seem to bad for the price. You can always use the the 120mm fan on the zalman bracket as ive seen it be done before.

Thread Information