Thread: Overclocking athlon XPs

Spider pig, spider pig
    Thanks

Question Overclocking athlon XPs

Does anyone know of a good up to date guide on overclocking the Athlon XP? I'm quite new to the whole overclocking thing and wanted to overclock 2600+. How fast can they be overclocked anyway? Any suggestions?

Wats ur tale mothergoose?
    Thanks
    • Korky's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35-Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 160GB WD RE2 RAID0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD 4870x2
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W
      • Case:
      • Cheapo
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista 32bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 18" Hanns.G / 42" Panasonic G20
      • Internet:
      • 10Mbit Cable
    they are very hot cpu's at default so i doubt you will get much out of it, 150mhz would be a good overclock for it 200mhz is really gd.

Dont really need a guide.

Just go into bios and increase the fsb by 5mhz each time untill it doesnt boot into windows, then drop it back 10mhz and should be ur best overclock.

You could also lower or raise the multiplier for best effect.
    All depends on ur motherboard, ram and cooling methods.
    3D Mark 2k1 - 20661

If you get a customer, or an employee, who thinks he's Charles Bronson, take the butt of your gun and smash their nose in.

Spider pig, spider pig
    Thanks
    Cheers. How do you up the multiplier then? Or is that more complicated?

Thanks
    each time after u overclock after uve got about 100mhz goto windows and stress test with prime95 making sure temp doesnt hit much more than 50, after that voltage increases wont help stability much.

the best way to overclock is to use as high fsb as u can, to get teh fastest cpu clock u can, so ull need to find out how far ur ram and northbridge will go, use memtest86 to test them

its best to overclock them seperatly, for example using a lowish fsb to test how high the cpu clock will go, and a low multiplyer to test ur ram/mobo, this way u know whats limiting u and its slightly less confusing.

increase stuff in small steps, and generally increasing voltage by the smallest amount u can will help. ull also risk killng ur cpu/stuff if u use more than 0.25v over the stock voltage.

prime95 should be able to run for 1 1/2 - 3 hours for compleat stability, if it will run with no errors for that long theres a very good chance it could for a day or even a week. dont use stuff like 3d mark with prime, it stresses cpu more, but as p95 gets half the cpu time its got half as much work it can do. 3d mark will usually either run fine, or crash, and its not crashed because of cpu yet, though i usuaully run p95 1st when i clock.

i doubt ull get more than 2.3/2.4ghz for ur cpu, but its worth a try

wot gfx u got? overclocking gfx usualy gives better performace in games that o/c cpu

Thanks
    I've found that running a single stress-testing program at a time is fairly useless.

At 2.4GHz, my JIUHB performed flawlessly for hours at a time on both Memtest86 (Around 8 hours) and Prime95 (Around 3). It was only when running 3 instances of Pifast and 1 of Prime95, while copying many files (> 2GB) that problems showed up (Basically, just freezing).

Currently at 2.3GHz @ just under 1.7v (39 C is the high so far), fully stable with an uptime of just under 8 days now.

Thread Information