• Operating System:
      • Windows XP, Windows 7 Pro (64bit), Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 27" 1920x1080p, Dell 22inch 1920X1080
      • Internet:
      • Generally okay, occasionally rubbish!

Which Wireless Network Adapter?

Hey all!

So, I've just moved into a new house where we have a Virgin Media package (will complain about fluctuating speeds in a different post! ) There are two possible points to connect the 'SuperHub' to the incoming cable; my bedroom on the first floor or the lounge on the ground floor. Sadly, as much as I'd love to have the hub in my room and connect directly to it via ethernet cable, it doesn't really give an even coverage of the rest of the house... And running an ethernet cable from the downstairs lounge to my room, isn't really viable...

So, I find myself in need of a PCI-slot Wireless Adapter for my desktop computer and I want the best I can get at a reasonable price. Stable connection and as good a speed as is possible. In the first instance, I looked at the ones that Scan has available...

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/edima...xpress-adapter

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/edima...enna-high-gain

Both of these are similarly priced and I don't know really what the differences are. From what I understand, in order to get the most of n-type routers, you need to have two antenna?!? Which I guess rules out most of the rest on their wireless network pages. However, this one caught my eye, mainly because of the price tag and also the three antenna!

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/d-lin...esktop-adapter

I've just noticed though that it's a pre-order item but is it worth the wait and the premium price tag? Would I get much benefit from it, given that my only real concerns are having and maintaining a strong connection with the 'SuperHub.'

Any remarks on the ones I have linked to above? Any further suggestions or general advice on what I should be looking for/definitely shouldn't get.

Maybe this is an important point (I don't know how good driver support is) but I'd need one that works well on Windows 7 and Ubuntu...

Thanks in advance for your helpful posts!

Kindest regards,

Kirano

Thanks

Re: Which Wireless Network Adapter?

The main issue with the Superhub from Virginmedia is the poor range in the wireless signal

I tried using all the cheaper cards we stock and had nothing but issues with the connection dropping.

The Netgear card http://www.scan.co.uk/products/netge...-n-pci-adapter did give better results, however in order to improve signal I ended up getting a new Wireless router.

Another option for you however if you want the router in your room would be to install a Wireless access point downstairs as this should help distribute the wireless signal from your room around the house more evenly

Regards,

Thanks
    • Savas's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6X58D-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 6GB Corsair
      • Storage:
      • SanDisk SSD PLUS 240 GB Sata III 2.5 inch Internal SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850W
      • Case:
      • LIANLI PC-8FI
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 32LF580V
      • Internet:
      • 80Mbits (Plusnet)

I would recommend the Alfa AWUSO36H. The best one I've used so far. You can also then invest in a larger antenna if you really require it.

I also agree, it's also quite a bit about the wireless signal being broadcasted.. If you want to keep the router, you could connect an access point via Ethernet and improve the signal that way, like Carlh said.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Kirano View Post
    So, I find myself in need of a PCI-slot Wireless Adapter for my desktop computer and I want the best I can get at a reasonable price. Stable connection and as good a speed as is possible. In the first instance, I looked at the ones that Scan has available...

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/edima...xpress-adapter

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/edima...enna-high-gain

Both of these are similarly priced and I don't know really what the differences are.
    The first one is PCI-E. If you only have a PCI slot then you need the second one.

Thread Information