Thread: Compatible 8GB DDR3 modules for Asus Sabertooth Z77

Registered+
    Thanks

Question Compatible 8GB DDR3 modules for Asus Sabertooth Z77

Hi

Does anybody know of any 8GB modules which are compatible with the Asus Sabertooth Z77 motherboard please? I've tried CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 (Corsair Vengeance) but the system won't POST at all (just a blank screen) and the MEM OK light goes red.

I've tried all slots, all combinations of single/both sticks and none work. I've updated the BIOS too.

The motherboard does work with a cheapo 4GB stick I've used to test the build, but I'd rather use 2x8GB than 4x4GB in the event that I need more RAM in the future (I use virtual machines for development work, so MIGHT benefit from 32GB at some point and ideally would like to keep two free slots).

The 3770K seems quite a performance jump from a Q6600!

Thanks for reading

Oaf

Thanks
    • Rookie1986's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3900X
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket NVMe m.2 1TB (PCIe 4)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AsRock Taichi AMD Radeon 5700 XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850i
      • Case:
      • Lian Li o11 Dynamic
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • MSI Optix MPG341QR // Dell Dell S2421H
      • Internet:
      • BT Full Fibre 900

Re: Compatible 8GB DDR3 modules for Asus Sabertooth Z77

Any chance your Corsair RAM is DOA because it should work fine with the Asus board?

Have you tried the Corsair RAM in another system just to make sure it works??

Rookie

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply.

I only have one DDR3 system - this one! - so I'm a bit stuck for testing. I thought the same as you that it should just work, however Googling around suggests a couple of others have had issues with this RAM/motherboard too.

The e-tailer I bought it from was prepared to accept it as DOA but strongly suggested that it was likely to be a compatibility issue rather than the RAM itself. I have no way of proving it either way and they apparently charge a fee if the RAM turns out to work on their system(s) so it seemed a bit pointless to gamble (as they have to take it back anyway under DSR). Not very helpful though all the same!

Zov
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theoaf View Post
    Hi

Does anybody know of any 8GB modules which are compatible with the Asus Sabertooth Z77 motherboard please? I've tried CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 (Corsair Vengeance) but the system won't POST at all (just a blank screen) and the MEM OK light goes red.

I've tried all slots, all combinations of single/both sticks and none work. I've updated the BIOS too.

The motherboard does work with a cheapo 4GB stick I've used to test the build, but I'd rather use 2x8GB than 4x4GB in the event that I need more RAM in the future (I use virtual machines for development work, so MIGHT benefit from 32GB at some point and ideally would like to keep two free slots).

The 3770K seems quite a performance jump from a Q6600!

Thanks for reading

Oaf
    I, too, like Corsair RAM and wanted 16 GB in two sticks (and went with vengeance) because my CPU heatsink consumes a RAM slot space. Annndd I, too, cannot get the system to POST with these sticks installed I also had a faulty powersupply that made it look like my motherboard was bad, so I didn't find this out until over a month after I received the initial parts. Looks like I will be buying new RAM and these sticks can sit on my shelf for years until I throw them out.

Thanks

Once you have enough posts (Access is for members with more than 100 posts on HEXUS, classifieds rules http://forums.hexus.net/classifieds-...s-read-me.html), you could sell the unwated RAM on the Classifieds - Sell your stuff! forum http://forums.hexus.net/classifieds-sell-your-stuff/.

Thread Information