• Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

display port to dvi

Trying to remove excess items connected to the pc and a key item is a dvi switch which i think is contributing to some ghosting (is this even possible?) or atleast wasting power, so looking to remove it...

My System consists of my gtx460 using its hdmi port to output audio to my AV receiver and that AVR connects to the switch via hdmi -->dvi cable and then my pc connects to the switch with a dvi cable. I have a Dell u2311h which has displayport (dont think its a mini) and dvi so the plan is to connect my pc via display port and the avr via hdmi to dvi.

Question is, what do i get? a passive adaptor or a cable? Ive seen some active ones and they cost alot to say the least but i dont think i need them(correct me if im wrong!). So any suggestions? and maybe some recommendations on relatively cheap solutions .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Thanks
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

Re: display port to dvi

can't you just carry video and audio over hdmi straight into the amp, then hdmi->displayport to the monitor? or straight hdmi to monitor?

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

ive tried that before but for some reason the avr seems to be insistant on changing the colour profile of the signal so its might brighter as in ive set backlight to 100 instead of 0, looks grey... could be the nvidia drivers mind! And then ontop of that if i ever switched a window i would lose video for a second or two during it same as my audio as currently if i say load up starcraft 2 while on skype i wont be able to hear anyone for a couple of seconds till its switched fully for some reason, guessing lag or something and finally there was video lag that seemed noticeable in games, dont want even more lag introduced .

I would use straight hdmi but the u2311h doesnt have hdmi, it has DVI/Display port/vga. I guess if i cant find a cheap alternative (reading that people say it needs active...!) then i will give up and stop using my bluray player as i think im nearing a good level of satisfaction from my pc to finally play blurays (powerdvd broke and wont work even when i own it!).
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Look for a "DP++" logo on the card, documentation, makers website etc.

Displayport is packet based like ethernet, so hence needs an active adaptor to convert the packets into a pixel stream.
    Displayport++ has the ability to detect a passive adaptor, and output hdmi or dvi for it, so all the hard work is already done hence the passive adaptor can be cheap.

I think recent cards tend to be DP++, early ones DP. Happy hunting for clues

Wikipedia has a good page on DP.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Look for a "DP++" logo on the card, documentation, makers website etc.

Displayport is packet based like ethernet, so hence needs an active adaptor to convert the packets into a pixel stream.
    Displayport++ has the ability to detect a passive adaptor, and output hdmi or dvi for it, so all the hard work is already done hence the passive adaptor can be cheap.

I think recent cards tend to be DP++, early ones DP. Happy hunting for clues

Wikipedia has a good page on DP.
    For 3 screens, if you're needing a Display Port to DVi adaptor, you'll need an Active one. Not the cheap 10 to 20 bucks adaptors.

Here's the Active Display Port to DVi adaptor I'm using, it's the best deal right now for an actual real Active adaptor. I searched everywhere. Only other models I found that perform the same function and quality as this where 50 USD. This one only set me back $25.99 USD plus a 5 USD packing fee.

chinacheapbuy.com/index.php?main_page=product_free_shipping_info&cPath=9_28&products_id=69

I also found the same model on Ebay, which maybe from the same source, price is nearly the same.

rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11030.m43.l1123/7?euid=9330fdef78c84b35b87c7b209ee440c5&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.co.uk%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FViewI tem%26item%3D280900726268%26ssPageName%3DADME%3AB%3AEF%3AGB%3A1123

The adaptor has an IC circuit for this function that is a new chip and design purposely suited for this, so the performance is A1 and it makes all those other really high priced units obsolete. Forget about trying to use those cables from Amazon for 10 to 20 bucks they can't handle this task.

Thread Information