Thread: Slow scsi drives - help needed

wibble
    Thanks

Slow scsi drives - help needed

I've just put re-assembled my pc with a new mobo (P4P800) - I installed winxp sp1 on a new (RMA return) IBM 15k scsi drive, however accessing data or loading anything seems very slow, and the same with my other scsi drives. The scsi setup was directly transplanted from my previous pc where it was working perfectly - the adapter is a 29160N and everything seems ok until I get into windows then accessing any data on any of my scsi drives is slow - I even get I/O errors when transferring data onto an ide drive.
    There are no problems with my ide drives, they're alot quicker than the scsi are atm

I have installed the latest intel inf c/set drivers, adaptec 29160N drivers, adaptec bios, SCSI drives are set to ID's 1,2 and 3, all are identified as u160 ........ anyone know whats wrong?

cheers

Title Contender
    Thanks
    is it correctly terminated

Thanks
    Take two off the cable - see how performance is with just one on.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

wibble
    Thanks
    It is correctly terminated, and I've tried it with just the one (boot drive) on the cable and its exactly the same.
    One thing I have noticed is that it loads to windows quite quickly (as it should) then when it gets to desktop it slows down dramatically, taking a couple of minutes to load my firewall or anything else. I have now changed the settings of a few services to manual startup to try and help, but that has done nothing ..... I'm stumped

Oh and I've also installed ALL of the M$ updates - nothing has changed

edit: its a clean windows install done yesterday, cpu usage is virtually 0, there are no unknowns I can see in task manager, but I did a virus scan anyway - nothing found
    Last edited by skattrd; 03-08-2004 at 08:47 PM.

wibble
    Thanks
    Ok, I think I've got it sorted - kind of.

I took the 3 scsi drives out to check jumper settings etc. and all was fine, so I decided to change the id's from 1,2,3 to 0,1,2 (same order of drives though) and reset the scsi adapter to default (boot from id 0 instead of 1). My system then booted quickly and seemed ok - don't ask me why, but my boot drive is now reported by the adapter as 80 instead of 160 - I can live with that atm

Since then I have been checking the drives and it appears there is a problem with one of the drives. I have yet to discover wether its the drive thats faulty or wether its just corrupted data - good job 99% is backed up. Whatever it is I'll check the drive properly tom and either reformat or RMA it, gotta love 5 year warranties

Thanks
    • Butuz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77 MPOWER
      • CPU:
      • I7 3770K @ 4.6
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS 1866
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3xR9 290
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10
      • Case:
      • Inwin H Frame
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
    There was a known issue with XP and Scsi cards/drives i remember reading about it yonks ago. Whether it would have been fixed in SP1 mind is a mystery. May be worth hitting the MS site?

Butuz

Thread Information