Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 37

Thread: SATA 3 Controller for Samsung SSD 830?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    144
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    SATA 3 Controller for Samsung SSD 830?

    I want to buy Samsung SSD 830 but my motherboard (AMD CPU) support max SATA 2.

    So I need a SATA 3 Controller, which one do you recommend? but not too expensive...

  2. #2
    HEXUS.social member Agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    19,158
    Thanks
    732
    Thanked
    1,604 times in 1,043 posts

    Re: SATA 3 Controller for Samsung SSD 830?

    You don't *need* a SATA3 controller for the drive to work, it'll just be capped at SATA2 speeds. Remember: IOPS for general desktop speed over read and write speeds.

    Given that they are 300MB/s, are you going to be hitting this often enough to warrant a card? It only really comes into play when dealing with large files, and even then (assuming a 256gig 830) going to be capped at the write speed of the SSD if copying the file to itself which barely breaks SATA2 speeds.
    If you're copying large files to another, non-SSD based drive, then you're massively limited by the write speed of that drive which again means no advantage to read speed.

    If you take a standard desktop setup and look at the files encountered they will be mostly 4K, then a range from 16K to 64K. When you start to work with these 'real world' files, your speeds plummet on any SSD, the 830 included: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4863/t...d-830-review/4
    If you check that page, you'll see the drive doesn't even hit 200MB/s on the read, and less than 100MB for the write - which again means no advantage in buying a SATA3 card for you.

    Do you work with large files that need reading sequentially often?

    Ask yourself this really: When is the exact time you'd need SATA3 over SATA2. If you can't answer without hesitation, it's very unlikely you'll need to upgrade to a SATA3 card
    For desktop use (forget benchmarking - they are vajazzle for geeks), then SATA3 really offers little to no improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

  3. Received thanks from:

    Apex (18-08-2012)

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    144
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: SATA 3 Controller for Samsung SSD 830?

    I have a M3A78-T motherboard http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2Plus/M3A78T/

    So basically Samsung SSD 830 should work fine on SATA2 motherboard?

    Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    You don't *need* a SATA3 controller for the drive to work, it'll just be capped at SATA2 speeds. Remember: IOPS for general desktop speed over read and write speeds.

    Given that they are 300MB/s, are you going to be hitting this often enough to warrant a card? It only really comes into play when dealing with large files, and even then (assuming a 256gig 830) going to be capped at the write speed of the SSD if copying the file to itself which barely breaks SATA2 speeds.
    If you're copying large files to another, non-SSD based drive, then you're massively limited by the write speed of that drive which again means no advantage to read speed.

    If you take a standard desktop setup and look at the files encountered they will be mostly 4K, then a range from 16K to 64K. When you start to work with these 'real world' files, your speeds plummet on any SSD, the 830 included: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4863/t...d-830-review/4
    If you check that page, you'll see the drive doesn't even hit 200MB/s on the read, and less than 100MB for the write - which again means no advantage in buying a SATA3 card for you.

    Do you work with large files that need reading sequentially often?

    Ask yourself this really: When is the exact time you'd need SATA3 over SATA2. If you can't answer without hesitation, it's very unlikely you'll need to upgrade to a SATA3 card
    For desktop use (forget benchmarking - they are vajazzle for geeks), then SATA3 really offers little to no improvement.

  5. #4
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Darlington
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: SATA 3 Controller for Samsung SSD 830?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ice_Black View Post
    I have a M3A78-T motherboard http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2Plus/M3A78T/

    So basically Samsung SSD 830 should work fine on SATA2 motherboard?

    Thanks
    Yes that will be fine, In the real world you wont notice the limitation that the sata2 is imposing on you.

  6. #5
    DILLIGAF GoNz0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    10,863
    Thanks
    632
    Thanked
    1,190 times in 943 posts
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

    Re: SATA 3 Controller for Samsung SSD 830?

    a sata3 add on card wont be much faster so stay as you are.

    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack
    off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,567
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked
    179 times in 134 posts

    Re: SATA 3 Controller for Samsung SSD 830?

    AND


    99% of SATA 3 addon cards use the aweful Marvell 9128 sata 3 chip - which is internally limited to pcie 1x... which means it maxes out at around 380 mb/s anyway , not alot over the sata 2 speed

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    302
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    14 times in 13 posts
    • pctech2012's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GIGABYTE H61MA-D2V
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 3450 Ivy Bridge
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Seagate Barracuda 500GB Sata 3GB/s
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GeForce 550Ti 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 600 Watt Gamer Series
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master 430 Elite
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung S23A550H LED
      • Internet:
      • Xilo Communications 4.5 Meg ADSL2+

    Re: SATA 3 Controller for Samsung SSD 830?

    Answered a question I was asking myself too as was thinking about getting an SSD.
    Interests: kicking the ass of technical problems and gaming.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    144
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: SATA 3 Controller for Samsung SSD 830?

    I've bought Samsung SSD yesterday and reinstalled Windows, is this how it should be? see blow.

    Connected to SATA2 (Asus motherboard - AMD CPU)






  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,731
    Thanks
    230
    Thanked
    151 times in 132 posts
    • Sputnik's system
      • Motherboard:
      • J&W 790GX Extreme
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II 720be
      • Memory:
      • OCZ DDR2-6400
      • PSU:
      • Enermax

    Re: SATA 3 Controller for Samsung SSD 830?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ice_Black View Post
    I've bought Samsung SSD yesterday and reinstalled Windows, is this how it should be? see blow.

    Connected to SATA2 (Asus motherboard - AMD CPU)
    It looks about right, It is better to use AS-SSD with SSD's as it is more specific to them. It will also tell you if your alignment is correct.

    You can also check alignment by typing msinfo32 in the search box and following components>Storage>disks and dividing the Partition starting offset by 4096 if the alignment is correct it will be a full number.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    144
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: SATA 3 Controller for Samsung SSD 830?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    It looks about right, It is better to use AS-SSD with SSD's as it is more specific to them. It will also tell you if your alignment is correct.

    You can also check alignment by typing msinfo32 in the search box and following components>Storage>disks and dividing the Partition starting offset by 4096 if the alignment is correct it will be a full number.
    How does that look:




  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,731
    Thanks
    230
    Thanked
    151 times in 132 posts
    • Sputnik's system
      • Motherboard:
      • J&W 790GX Extreme
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II 720be
      • Memory:
      • OCZ DDR2-6400
      • PSU:
      • Enermax

    Re: SATA 3 Controller for Samsung SSD 830?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ice_Black View Post
    How does that look:

    That looks ok to me. Alignment is correct.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    144
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: SATA 3 Controller for Samsung SSD 830?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    That looks ok to me. Alignment is correct.
    When it coping large files - it is very fast.

    When there are a lot of small files in the dir - I feel the copy transfer is very slow.

  14. #13
    WEEEEEEEEEEEEE! MadduckUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lytham St. Annes
    Posts
    17,293
    Thanks
    649
    Thanked
    1,580 times in 1,006 posts
    • MadduckUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus A88XM-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • AMD 860K @4.45
      • Memory:
      • 16GB (4x4GB) PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • 1x240GB Sandisk Extreme / 3x500GB RAID0 / 3GB Backup
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 7870XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750w
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Galdiator 600
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL S2409W
      • Internet:
      • 3 One Plan

    Re: SATA 3 Controller for Samsung SSD 830?



    My 240GB Sandisk Extreme, using an SATA2 AMD 790FX motherboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephesians
    Do not be drunk with wine, which will ruin you, but be filled with the Spirit
    Vodka

  15. #14
    Monkey Apex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Huddersfield
    Posts
    4,233
    Thanks
    716
    Thanked
    140 times in 85 posts
    • Apex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87M-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 16 GiB
      • Storage:
      • 6.0 TiB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 480X
      • PSU:
      • 750
      • Case:
      • Node 804
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2410 24"
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb nTL Cable

    Re: SATA 3 Controller for Samsung SSD 830?

    Dell D620 Laptop - i am happy even if to you this seems slow to me it isn't - well worth the 50 quid.




  16. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,731
    Thanks
    230
    Thanked
    151 times in 132 posts
    • Sputnik's system
      • Motherboard:
      • J&W 790GX Extreme
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II 720be
      • Memory:
      • OCZ DDR2-6400
      • PSU:
      • Enermax

    Re: SATA 3 Controller for Samsung SSD 830?

    Quote Originally Posted by Apex View Post
    Dell D620 Laptop - i am happy even if to you this seems slow to me it isn't - well worth the 50 quid.

    I notice your using IDE does the laptop not support ahci ?

  17. #16
    Monkey Apex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Huddersfield
    Posts
    4,233
    Thanks
    716
    Thanked
    140 times in 85 posts
    • Apex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87M-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 16 GiB
      • Storage:
      • 6.0 TiB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 480X
      • PSU:
      • 750
      • Case:
      • Node 804
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2410 24"
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb nTL Cable

    Re: SATA 3 Controller for Samsung SSD 830?

    Dell D620 = no option for it in the bios even if the chipset supports it which is why i went for this SSD; the garbage collection works on it's own etc



Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •