Thread: Help required with Corsair PC4000PRO

Thanks

Help required with Corsair PC4000PRO

Hi Guys!

Need help with getting this memory upto DDR500.

Here's my system:

IC7-MAX3
    P4 3.4 Prescott
    1gb Corsair TWINX1024-4000PRO
    Sapphire X800 PRO
    240gb Maxtor SATA HD
    SB Audigy 2
    Windows XP Pro

Anyway, I've gone into the BIOS which is the latest version, and found the section relating to the memory. I read somewhere else that I need to set this memory to 3-4-4-8 for DDR500.

I've never O/C'd before so am not sure where to start.

Any help would be great.

PS. I'm don't need to O'C the CPU, only the memory...... having said that, does anyone know how much I could O/C this CPU?.... Just out of interest!

Cheers

Thanks
    ummm.. I have that mobo! Any way you need to set the ratio to 1:1 and then take your FSB to 250! that will take your mem to 500 MHz! It will also take your cpu up as well! and since its a pres... well I'd be scared!

Thanks
    Thanks!

So do you not think its a good idea then? Remember I've not O/C'd before so I am looking for guidance on this!!!

I'm not to keen on frying the CPU, so if you think I will then I'll forget it. I've only got the CPU cooler/fan that came with the CPU too.

Cheers!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by garciad
    Thanks!

So do you not think its a good idea then? Remember I've not O/C'd before so I am looking for guidance on this!!!

I'm not to keen on frying the CPU, so if you think I will then I'll forget it. I've only got the CPU cooler/fan that came with the CPU too.

Cheers!

Well Prescots arnt know for running cool! Look at my sig! If I had your ram it be running at 500Mhz.... I recomend causion! take it one step at a time! Go alitle.. then run prime 95. I recomend starting at 210 FSB and increasing it by 10 each time! Always watch your temps! And set the bios to shut down the PC if it overheats! this will save your CPU! I will take a screen shot of the bios page on my system for you, It will show you the settings you need to play with! Well once I find my camera that is!

PS. Sorry about my spelling! I need to instal a spell checker!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by garciad
    Hi Guys!

Need help with getting this memory upto DDR500.

Here's my system:

IC7-MAX3
    P4 3.4 Prescott
    1gb Corsair TWINX1024-4000PRO
    Sapphire X800 PRO
    240gb Maxtor SATA HD
    SB Audigy 2
    Windows XP Pro

Anyway, I've gone into the BIOS which is the latest version, and found the section relating to the memory. I read somewhere else that I need to set this memory to 3-4-4-8 for DDR500.

I've never O/C'd before so am not sure where to start.

Any help would be great.

PS. I'm don't need to O'C the CPU, only the memory...... having said that, does anyone know how much I could O/C this CPU?.... Just out of interest!

Cheers
    The 3-4-4-8 is the ram timings. It should already be set to auto which will take those settings from an oboard chip on the ram. Normally when you want to get a high fsb than one rated for the ram module you have to loosen the timings a bit. But since you are running stock you should run them at 3-4-4-8 or try and trim them down a bit. Ive got my ram which runs stock at 2.5-3-3-6 to 2-2-2-6

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun
    The 3-4-4-8 is the ram timings. It should already be set to auto which will take those settings from an oboard chip on the ram. Normally when you want to get a high fsb than one rated for the ram module you have to loosen the timings a bit. But since you are running stock you should run them at 3-4-4-8 or try and trim them down a bit. Ive got my ram which runs stock at 2.5-3-3-6 to 2-2-2-6
    Also, dont forget about the Soft menu! That mobo has a OC menu! And a memory setting page... such as F1 and street racer.... You can tighten the memory by setting it to F1!

Sitting in a tin can. Far above the Earth.
    Thanks
    Er, not so sure here about the advice you are being given for a 1:1 and then you trying to hit 250fsb. That's a hell of a leap on a chip that's already near it's limit - i.e. a Prescott at 3.4GHz.

Think about it: your current CPU is @3.4, so that's an 17x multiplier from a 200fsb. Upping the fsb to 250, and keeping the ratio at 1:1 (and you can't do anything about the multiplier, they are locked) and you've got your processor at 17x250, which equals 4.25GHz!!! At that sort of speed, I'd guess a Prescott must be pumping, say, 150W+? That's a hell of a lot of heat to disipate. Unless less you've got some pretty exotic cooling (Prommie, Vapochill, high-end water), I doubt you are going to get anywhere near that figure. What cooling have you got? Air? Stock hs/fan? The best water score on overclockers.com (for 3.2's, no 3.4's listed) is just over 4GHz, and the two over that (4.3-4.6GHz) are on phase-change (Vapochill). Even then, I'd question how stable they are...

I'd say just work your way up slowly, always keeping an eye on temps (i.e. via your BIOS screens and/or something like motherboard monitor, etc.) On air, I'd be suprised if you got it **100% stable** much beyond 3.6 to 3.7, i.e. about 215 fsb. Use long, long runs of Prime, memtest86, 3DMark, etc. on a warm day to check it really is stable. If it is, then slowly move up a little more.

You have the option of lowering the memory divider (i.e. 3:4, etc. - not sure what your mobo has) but that can be worse than keeping a lower synchronous (i.e. 1:1) fsb. Do a bit of testing on *real apps* and not just memory benchmarks (i.e. like Sandra) to find out the true impact.

Nomadd
    Last edited by Nomadd; 15-08-2004 at 08:41 AM.

Thanks
    • BenW's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Dual SATA2
      • CPU:
      • AMD64 3500+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB Crucial DDR
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Samsung 8MB Cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon HD 3850
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12 600W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ-04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 17" Ultrasharp
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 8Mb
    can you not set the memory divider to something like 5:3?

Or would there be no point?

Thanks
    I have seen people take presscots up to 4.4... so I think he could get close to 250 FSB, That is why I told him to take it 10 at a time. If he sets the ratio to 1:1 then his memory will be equal to the proc! This is important on a intel system! However, he cant do this on the stock heat sink!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ben_wade

Well you can, but from everything I've read, P4's work best with synchronous fsb, i.e. 1:1. Sure, you can make *synthetic memory benchmarks* look good when using dividers, but the difference in real-world apps. may not be the same, and might even be negative (hence the reason I mentioned testing all this on some real-worl apps.) Only testing will reveal the true situation.

Only other point I'd mention is that on a 3.4 Prescott, even with dividers, you are still going to be limited: look at how much trouble Intel are having just getting the 3.6GHz model out the door; it's already months late, and even that's probably on a newer stepping. Hence I think if he's looking to get much beyond it's default speed, he's gonna need very good cooling - which is expensive.

Nomadd

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ben_wade

They only offer, 5:4 3:2 1:1

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by myth
    I have seen people take presscots up to 4.4... so I think he could get close to 250 FSB
    Correct, but 4.4 will require Prommie/Vaporchill. And he said he was a "newbie and didn't know where to start'', so it's highly unlikely he's got anything beyond the stock hs/fan.

That is why I told him to take it 10 at a time. If he sets the ratio to 1:1 then his memory will be equal to the proc! This is important on a intel system!
    Yes, I know - I have one! :-) But...

On 1:1, he's gonna be lucky to get much beyond 3.6-3.8. And taking a 3.4 up at 10 at a time on 1:1 is waaay to much - that's increments of 10x17 MHz, i.e. 170MHz at a time. I'd suggest 5, and then be prepared to 'tinker' towards the end (i.e. 1's and 2's).

Just my take.

Nomadd

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomadd
    Well you can, but from everything I've read, P4's work best with synchronous fsb, i.e. 1:1. Sure, you can make *synthetic memory benchmarks* look good when using dividers, but the difference in real-world apps. may not be the same, and might even be negative (hence the reason I mentioned testing all this on some real-worl apps.) Only testing will reveal the true situation.

Only other point I'd mention is that on a 3.4 Prescott, even with dividers, you are still going to be limited: look at how much trouble Intel are having just getting the 3.6GHz model out the door; it's already months late, and even that's probably on a newer stepping. Hence I think if he's looking to get much beyond it's default speed, he's gonna need very good cooling - which is expensive.

Nomadd
    To be honest, your correct!

He will never be able to take full advantage of that ram, If I had it I could! But due to the prescot he will most likly not be able to. As for the 3.6, they are all ready buyable! And the lg thingys OC to 4.0 quite easily!

Thanks
    ...As for the 3.6, they are all ready buyable! And the lg thingys OC to 4.0 quite easily!
    I'm just going off what I read (this story is only a couple of days old): http://www.theinquirer.org/?article=17824

Intel are really struggling to get these things out in volume. I've just checked four UK suppliers and none of them have them in stock. Sure, I'm sure there are *some* out there, but the volumes are tiny, which indicates Intel really are struggling to ramp Prescott.

Nomadd

Thread Information