Thread: How much of a waste would it to be . . .

Spanked Member
    Thanks

Question How much of a waste would it to be . . .

if I bought a 266Mhz FSB based Duron/Athlon (non-XP) in a 200MHz Motherboard?

Ive got an ABIT KT7 running a Duron 800@1000, id like to upgrade the chip (like to upgrade the system altogether but I really dont have the money) but the 100/200Mhz chips are a bit on the rare side and thus I think more expensive.

the 133/266 chips are more available and seem cheaper, but would they work at all, or would they just be underclocked? The KT7 does support 133 speeds through overclocking - but Im guessing everything else will be overclocked by doing this?

Im not going to buy new motherboard/chip/cooler/psu/ram/etc. etc. for upgrade, other than that, any views appreciated!

Thanks
    you'd be better off with a new mobo tbh.

http://www.aria.co.uk/BargainBasement.asp

selling an abit kx7-333 for £35!! bargin

Spanked Member
    Thanks
    Yeah it'll be nice to have that but read what I said : "Im not going to buy new motherboard/chip/cooler/psu/ram/etc. etc."

I only have PC133 RAM, so Id need to buy new DDR RAM and a new cooler at the very least, then another CPU so I justify spending money on a new motherboard.

My way isnt the most cost-effective to performance ratio, but for that £35 (which is more than I want to spend anyway) I can get the best chip my motherboard can support.

Thanks
    It would work, but it would be underclocked, so depends on what the original speed was to how much the fsb decrease would effect it.

Fix

Thread Information