Thread: blown away? or blown mobo?

Richard Allen Evans mr_anderson187's Avatar
    Thanks

blown away? or blown mobo?

ok heres the story guys, i got nice cooling from my volcano 11+ doing 75cfm at its full, pretty noisy, but i was at a LAN today and i was nearly blown away lol, this guy had a 120mm delta jobby fan, and it was awesome, doing 190cfm!!!!!!!!!!! i was told these were awesome a while ago by Mightynimrod, but i never took any notice, but this was enlightening.
    So i went ahead, got on the overclockers and bought myself one without hesitation, then got on kustonpcs and got me a 80-120mm converter so ill be all set when they arrive. Ok so i have a hardcano12 and a hardcano9 (thermaltake) im gonna use the hardcano9 because its more simple and easier to use.
    But it never occured to me that this could be a 4 pin fan for the case of ure pc, if it is its all or nothing isnt it?, or is it 3 pin?

does anyone knoiw thats really my main question. ts on overclockers on my link below and it is this model when your at the page

Delta 120mm Focussed Flow Fan (EHE) (FG-003-DE)

(Bottom one)

Overclockers 120mm Delta fan

ok so if this is 3 pin and i conect it to my mobo and turn it on, itll roar and cool but pull the guts outa my mobo and most liely make me crash (like a woman driver, lol) but its said to be ok if i plug it into my fan controling device as its 4 pin molex so it wont be going near the mobo, is this correct?

help would be greatly appreciated guys, ill check back in the morning before i head off to work. thanks a million

Mr. Richard Evans

p.s. Does anybody notice how good my typing was in this post?
    Under Development...

Thanks
    Its very likley to draw more power than the mobo can supply, so dont power it from the mobo. Either use a molex (with a converter if its a 3pin fan) or the hardcano (assuming it can do the rated wattage).

just so you know, there are bigger fans and size/rpm does [b]NOT[/url] mean it will work better than an 80mm fan!!!!!
    You need to check the pressure/flow curves for the fan you intend to use. You might find the restriction added by a 120->80mm fan converter removes all advantages that you get by using a bigger fan - I found this with 80->60mm converters. This is becuase at that restriction (pressure) the fan is not capable of pushing that much air.

Tom
    Thanks
    I have same heatsink and changed to a 120mm fan pushing 95cfm....and temps increased by a LOT and pc became unstable (as in crash in 30 seconds unstable) guessing the heatsink isnt designed for extra weight and this pulled it away from the core. Id be VERY careful if i were you.

Thanks
    @ SilentDeath Surely the curves channeling the air would just increase the pressure of the air produced by fan, as it is confining it into a smaller space is this not right

@ Tom i see what you mean, this heatsink i have is very tight, but with the extra weight you could be right, so i will watch the temps and if it beings to rapidly increase with it on i will shut down

thanks guys, does anyone else have any views on this?
    Under Development...

Thanks
    Yes the curves would, but with more pressure you will sacrifice air flow. Axial fans are not good enough to do that. Also note that most of the air is pushed on the outer part fo the fans diameter, so by using a 120->80mm converter, your forcing about 95% of the airflow into a space it doesnt want to be...

for a cpu fan, I really think it would be better to use a blower fan, much like the ones coolermaster use. These have equal airflow accross the whole of the fan, so cool the center of the heatsink more. They also have better static pressure and less niosy iirc.

http://www.eminebea.com/content/html...n.shtml#body01

Also generally the wider the fan (of the axial type), the more pressure it can produce.

Thanks
    ok i hear what your saying and if it doesnt work ill maybe try that, but im still thinkin, the air is pushed into the midel where it doesnt want to be, but when it goes down the middle hits the middle of the heatsink base, but then it disapates through t fisn and out, so is it really not jsut concentrating it in the middle, then fanning it out on the heatsink base? if your totally right and th=is doesnt work when it arrives what alternative, cso i got a new thermaltake case, and its full of 92 and 80mm fans, but bno space for 120, so wheere coudl i put it, i dont wana have to drila a hole i n my new baby.
    Under Development...

Thanks
    What I mean is just that the total air from a 80mm fan could very easly exceed the air from a 120mm fan using a converter, even though the fan is bigger. This would mean hte converter and bigger fan is pointless.. but it depends a lot on the fan - it could work VERY well.
    If it doesnt work as well, then you can double up the 120mm fan. This will give a very small increase in noise (3db iirc) in series to boost the static pressure. It shows this on the site I linked to above, under "multiple fan use". This will almost definatly work very well, but theres a small increase in noise... but from your choice of fan, I dont think you would notice.
    However doubling the fan, will cost twice as much... I dont know how well i would work but using the delta on the bottom, and a
    YSTECH 120mm Case Fan with 4 pin PSU Connector 120x120x25, PUSHING 105CFM
    or similar from http://store.over-clock.com/Case_Fans.html might cost less..

Thread Information