Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CPU Temp Probs

Registered+
    Thanks

CPU Temp Probs

I've got Aero 7 Lite at the moment, my XP3000 is running at ludicrous temps. When it starts up its at 40c and the MB temp is 28c.....within a few mins of just browsing the net it escalates to 60c and the MB to 34c!

The most I've seen it go to is 64c, and I havent even bothered to run a game on it yet!

Anyone have an idea what might be wrong and how it can be fixed?

Thanks
    Are you sure that the heatsink is mounted on the CPU properly? It might be worth taking it off and reapplying the thermal paste, and making sure that the heatsink is on properly.

Also, if you take the side off your case, how much do the temperatures improve? If they go down a lot, then you would probably need a case with better ventilation.

Hope this helps

Mike
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedturq
    I've got Aero 7 Lite at the moment, my XP3000 is running at ludicrous temps. When it starts up its at 40c and the MB temp is 28c.....within a few mins of just browsing the net it escalates to 60c and the MB to 34c!

The most I've seen it go to is 64c, and I havent even bothered to run a game on it yet!

Anyone have an idea what might be wrong and how it can be fixed?
    I very much doubt those are the real temps. Try updating to the latest BIOS for your board(which board is it by the way)
    Also try reseating the heatsink to see if it makes any difference and one more thing - are you using that crap thermal pad that comes on the bottom of the Aero7?
    Knight 1: We are now no longer the Knights who say Ni.
    Knight 2: NI.
    Other Knights: Shh...
    Knight 1: We are now the Knights who say..."Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm.

Thanks
    Possibly isn't set properly?

Which thermal paste/compound are you using?

What are your voltages?

Case cooling?

So many questions

Banned
    Thanks
    As others have said, check HSF for proper seating, re-do the thermal paste with something decent such as Artic Ceramiqe \ Silver 5, download latest drivers for motherboard, take sides of case see if temps go down, and tell us what board you are using and if you are overclocking or not, and if so, what voltages you are using on the CPU.

Be specific.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Temp stays the same even when i take the sides off the case, and i got the latest BIOS update through the Asus Live Update.

I'd like to believe its just a fake readout as the system hasnt died on me at all when running over the weekend, but its kinda worrying

I only had a little bit of paste left when i was installing the HSF, so you reckon its worth buying and applying some more?

Thanks
    Which paste did you use?

Registered+
    Thanks
    the one that came with the HSF. Does it 'really' matter what kinda paste you use though?

Thanks
    Yes it does. Get some AS5 on there. Put a paper thin layer on the core first. Then put a tiny bit on the HS and smudge it in using some cotton wool and keep on rubbing it until it vanishes ( i think there should be ridges on the underside of the HS on that particular one) just like when you put some deep heat on

Then put it all together and make sure you've got the latest BIOS version as many of the fixes in the BIOS versions are temperatures

Thanks
    • DaKid's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z270E
      • CPU:
      • i7-7700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4-3000
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD SSD, 3TB Sata (internal), 3TB USB (external)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AORUS 1080Ti
      • Case:
      • Define R5
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 100GB
    Interestingly when I took the side of my case off the temps went up ... how does that work?? :s

Thanks
    Have the side on your case and some system fans on creates a kinda wind tunnel taking cool air in and hot air out. If the side is off the hot air will stay in the case unless there is a breeze.

I have an aero 7 and i,m not very impressed with the proformance of it at all. You really shouldn't rub the AS5 on with cotton wool use a rubber glove ot just cover your finger in plastic. You would be better of with a new HS

Registered+
    Thanks
    what HSF would you recommend for an xp3200?

Registered+
    Thanks
    get an slk 900 or 948. I'm going to shamelessly plug sidewindercomputers.com again, but the have the ALX 800 there for 13.95(united states dollars) which is quite the bargain if you don't have a hardcore copper craving. If you do, the SLK 900-A is 28.95 and the SLK-948U is only 33.95. Make sure you buy a fan to go with the heatsink, get the Thermaltake Smart Fan II or the Vantec Tornado (or even a delta if you're deaf to begin with) if you want crazy amounts of air moving. You might do better, however, with a Panaflo high or medium speed for good cooling that's easier on the ears.

Good luck and happy shopping.

EDIT: Just to let you know, sidewindercomputers does ship globally, so no worries for you brits!

Thanks
    Yep I second that - have ordered lots of stuff from them over the past few years

Title Contender
    Thanks
    make sure you havent got anything putting your CPU into load on start up, check what % of CPU is in use when just browsing it shouldnt be 100%

Registered+
    Thanks
    thought i'd give doom3 a go, to see if its just a mis-reading but an hour or so into the game the temp reached 75c! and started to glitch big-time!

Thankfully the CPU is just a replacement until my 3200XP is sent - so if it gets screwed i'm not bothered that much. But its still annoying and more worryingly my mobo temp hit 38c!

Thread Information