Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Athlon XPs can still be fun.

Thanks
    Shouldn't be doing that at defautls. If its games I would say it may be your graphics overheating for some reason.

iMc
    Thanks
    its game, prime, occasionally while watching videos. bit of a pain in the rear end tbh. would love to buy a new gfx card, but then id prob find out it was the mobo, or something else. and i cant afford to change everything. maybe one thing but everything!
    HEXUS|iMc

Thanks
    Not saying change. No need to replace parts. Hmmm this will take a bit of thinking

Thanks
    Some CPU's are just bad overclockers. Made on a bad day!! where as some 2500Xp's are actually clocked down 3200's because the demand for supply of 2500's is greater. My 2500Xp runs at 2.2 but can't stand much more than 58C its really annoying!

iMc
    Thanks
    have a good think Efiall and just post here or pm me in anything comes to mind. thankyou
    HEXUS|iMc

Thanks
    Allen - your PC is supposed to be able to take anything you can throw at it (Not literally, of course. ). This is why CPUs get various ratings - a 2600+ would be a chip that didn't run with 100% stability at 2800+ speeds at a set vcore (Ignoring the supply-demand theory). So if you're going to bother overclocking your CPU, why settle for anything less than 100% stability? I don't consider a CPU overclocked unless it's 100% stable - anyone can push the FSB and multiplier up, boot into Windows and take a screenie of his amazingly high overclock before the machine crashes; frankly, that's not overclocking.

A quick aside, with regard to leeching. If, by leeching, you take it to mean copying without sharing, then I've been unclear. I tend to define leeching as transfering a large amount of data, typically from someone else's PC to your own. This doesn't necessarily mean that you don't share anything.

Thanks
    Exactly. The point of overclocking for me is getting a fast and stable computer much cheaper than I could buy the parts specced to run at that speed. I'm currently running a Duron 1400 modded to 256K L2 cache at 11x189 or 2079 - essentially a 2600 with a slightly faster bus speed. 2600s even now are about £55 and this chip cost me £22 nearly a year ago. I can get it to boot at FSBs up to 230 and I can run the chip up to 2.2GHz or more, but 11x189 is the max I can get Prime stable. As a result I can run the computer for weeks at a time at 100% CPU load crunching FAD and the only thing that'll crash it is badly written software. I've not had a single crash caused by hardware failure no matter how much I've provoked it. I can play the Far Cry demo while crunching FAD in the bacground and it's solid as a rock for hours. You may not value your stability Allen, but it certainly has it's advantages.

Rich :¬)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eldren
    ...... anyone can push the FSB and multiplier up, boot into Windows and take a screenie of his amazingly high overclock before the machine crashes; frankly, that's not overclocking......
    Not aimed at myself I hope.....

This screenie wasn't taken at my first boot into windows. It was left a whole day running seti boinc continuosly before and palying a few hours of farcry at the same time when I wasn't in work. I wouldn't be so daft to assume that cos it boots it's a "sooper" stable overclock to go knob waving with. If that was the case you'd have one of it doing 250FSB by now. Running Prime95 isn't the be all and end all for stability testing.
    Last edited by Efaill; 28-08-2004 at 08:41 AM.

Thanks
    Efaill - oh, no, of course not. You did mention stressing the machine for a good 24 hours with various utilities and programs (As you said in your second post in this thread, post #5), so this is a decent overclock. And naturally, Prime95 isn't the end all of stress testing (I typically run Prime, three instances of Pifast [Using a batch file to keep them going when they eventually finish], whilst copying several GB of files around for my stress testing - adding some 3D program to the mix wouldn't "hurt," though. ).

All of what I've said has been in response to Allen's apparent disregard for true sress testing, settling for mediocre stability instead.

Thanks
    all friends then

Thanks
    • Allen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 6600K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4-3000
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 (OS) + 2 x 512GB Samsung 960 EVO in RAID 0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC
      • PSU:
      • XFX P1-650X-NLG9 XXX 650W Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Node 804
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" BenQ XL2730Z + 23" Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mbps
    Allen - your PC is supposed to be able to take anything you can throw at it (Not literally, of course. ). This is why CPUs get various ratings - a 2600+ would be a chip that didn't run with 100% stability at 2800+ speeds at a set vcore (Ignoring the supply-demand theory). So if you're going to bother overclocking your CPU, why settle for anything less than 100% stability? I don't consider a CPU overclocked unless it's 100% stable - anyone can push the FSB and multiplier up, boot into Windows and take a screenie of his amazingly high overclock before the machine crashes; frankly, that's not overclocking.
    Well if you wanna waste your time with P95 then go ahead and do so. Just when you speak to pro overclockers (i.e. leaders of 3DMark tables and guys who work in overclocking stores) they all seem to disregard P95. Funny that...

I have my rig overclocked quite well at the moment (1.8GHz chip running at 2.3GHz - at the moment) and it's stable in everything I do. 100% stable. Prime95 still crashes though.

I shall quote one of those guys below, who's an EXPERT in the overclocking field and prometia/cascade cooling. Basically, this guy knows his s**t:

Personally.... don't use Prime95 as a stability test. What do you DO with your PC?? Benchmarking, Gaming, Office work? None of these involve calculating Prime. If you're primarily a gamer, then your stability test should be the game the most graphically intensive game you own that you tend to play the most, or for the longest periods of time. THAT is the true stability test for your system. As long as your rig can do what you ask it to do on a regular basis, it is stable for your purposes.

Prime95 stability is just for willywavers and purists. My rig fails Prime everytime, but is stable for everything else I ask it to do... 3DMark, F@H, DF, Photoshop, Cubase, Battlefield Vietnam... so what difference should it make to me that it bombs prime...? None at all.
    This guy ran an XP at just under 3GHz (we're talking about 20MHz short of it) without any probs, except P95. It's a POS mate.

A quick aside, with regard to leeching. If, by leeching, you take it to mean copying without sharing, then I've been unclear. I tend to define leeching as transfering a large amount of data, typically from someone else's PC to your own. This doesn't necessarily mean that you don't share anything.
    I was talking about transferring large data files from one computer to another whilst gaming at a LAN causing the other persons computer to behave erraticly during gaming and is totally unwanted. Those people are leechers and should be banned IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rave
    I can play the Far Cry demo while crunching FAD in the bacground and it's solid as a rock for hours.
    LMAO!! You're kidding right? You actually think it's crunching when your playing FarCry?

These crunching programs work on spare CPU cycles, gaming will probably take up all of the CPU's cycles and therefore the LOW PRIORITY crunching program will sit there doing nothing until a spare cycle is available for it to use.

Thanks
    Leaders of the 3DMark tables are just that - they are far from concerned with stability, so long as they get their PC to run long enough to get through a set of 3DMark tests, to get the biggest 3DMark score they can. This is similar to that "anyone" I mentioned earlier, getting their PC to run long enough to take a screeny before it crashes.

"Overclocking store" really does sound like an oxymoron, given that overclocking a component voids the warranty. Anyway.

Just because some person who knows how to run a prommie thinks P95 is a waste of time, doesn't mean his is the word of god. I consider his 3GHz overclock an absolute waste of time. The reason Prime95 isn't happy is because his CPU is unable to do one of the many mathematical calculations P95 throws at it. This is like having a car that will run just fine with it's pumped up engine, save when you drive at a certain speed, in which case it shudders violently. Which is to blame - the engine tweak or the speed you're driving at? It's an indication that something is not working properly, which is of more concern than how fast it can go under other special circumstances.

Next time your PC crashes, I'll be happy to provide a big "I told you so."

On a different note, nice sig.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous 'expert'
    Prime95 stability is just for willywavers and purists. My rig fails Prime everytime, but is stable for everything else I ask it to do... 3DMark, F@H, DF,
    Well, then this guy isn't talking much sense. A lot of DC programs use exactly the same parts of the processor's FPU that Prime95 does (e.g. for Fast Fourier Transforms), and so if Prime95 fails then you could easily be submitting erroneous work units. If that's the case, you're not only wasting your own time and electricity, you're also damaging the project by sending them incorrect data. I personally would say that's it's the guy who would risk sending dodgy data back for the sake of an extra 50MHz who's a willywaver, rather than those who make damned sure their computer is up to the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen
    LMAO!! You're kidding right? You actually think it's crunching when your playing FarCry?

These crunching programs work on spare CPU cycles, gaming will probably take up all of the CPU's cycles and therefore the LOW PRIORITY crunching program will sit there doing nothing until a spare cycle is available for it to use.
    Um, thanks for the clarification there, you learn something new every day huh? Of course Far Cry (or whatever other game) is using most of the cycles, but if you have a DC program running in the background it's still mopping up the odd cycle here and there, and so putting the processor under an even greater load than the game alone would.

I know full well that a computer that's Prime95 stable isn't necessarily going to be 100% perfect, it could have problems that Prime doesn't expose, but you can say for sure that a computer that fails Prime95 is NOT stable. If it's stable enough for you then great, but that doesn't mean that Prime95 is worthless, it just means that you don't need a 100% stable computer.

Rich :¬)

Thanks
    • GAteKeeper's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P67-GD5
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 2600k
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Corsair DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • ~44TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 980Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12 600W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-65
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U3415W & 2405fpw
      • Internet:
      • 45Mb vDSL
    I would have to agree that Prime95 is a good indicator of stability as my thread in the Help forum explains.i have found it a quick way to establish whether a particular setting is stable (if it lasts more than 7ish hours (overnight) then i call it stable and move on).

These XP-Ms are great, congrats Efaill! We will test it at mojos!

GAteKeeper

PMM
    Thanks
    I think Mojo's is enough of a stress test

Oi welshy tighten them timings 2.5-4-4-11

You gonna let me play with it at mojo's wonder if it will play nice with the
    DDR booster hmmmm

Thanks
    They canne go any tighter cap'n.

If I set the cas to 2 I get the infamous NF7 two-tone siren. I've got it at 11 since it's supposed to be the optimum for the Nforce chipset. As for letting a DDR booster near this you can keep it away. Won't do any good as the chipset has given up. And before you say volt-mod NO-way
    Last edited by Efaill; 29-08-2004 at 09:17 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information